Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #61
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've seen one ebook from Apple where the cover image was close to 90% of the book size. Yes, it looked better when I looked at the cover image on my iPad but overall, was the change worthwhile? Not really.

Just for the heck of it, I converted a 4000x6000 image of decorative cherry blossoms to a 1400x2100 image. Dropping the jpeg quality to 75% when saving gave me a 185KB file. The original image clocked in at 13.4MB but then the camera is set to maximize quality when saving .jpg format -- I have to justify having dual 32GB cards in the camera somehow.
Like I said. Many have unreasonable sized covers, but I think 100kb or less is unrealistic for many images. That doesn't mean that I think 1-2MB is a good idea, just that by saying 100kb or less is where we should be is too low (I'd say 200-500 is more realistic when all's said and done). Of course I'm kind of picky and can't stand pixelated images on a high rez screen I deal with images all day long and too low of a resolution or too compressed an image just gets to me so I have a hard time "throwing out" too much.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-15-2013 at 10:38 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #62
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
But the image within the epub itself doesn't need to be the full 1440x1050 pixels. It can be 800x600 and the code in the book tells it to display the cover at 100% of your reader's screen and it looks just as good as if it was 1440x1050 pixels. For the few minutes you actually see the cover, it's silly to include huge images thinking it will "look" better on an e-ink display. Even on a color display, the same coding can be applied and no one would see the difference if done correctly. You can use the cover as your screen saver while the reader is asleep and it will still look perfect.
The image needs to be a minimum width of 1,400 pixels for Apple and Smashwords IIRC and Amazon and B&N were supposed to be upping their minimums too. And while I agree it's less an issue for covers than for interior images to say no one will see the difference is wrong. I've seen it many times in current books.

The real crazy ones are when you get books like when they issued the old Start Wars books again and not only included a multi meg cover image, but 5 or six more multi meg covers at the end of the book to preface each of the excerpts there.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-15-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #63
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Wow.. lots of pesimistic opinions out there.. Picky, Picky.. I wonder why..
A couple of years of prior experience with Kobo products.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Is this just an issue with one font or many? To me that would be a pretty big issue and much more than annoying.
The three Kobo fonts on a Kobo Glo that I am aware of that display bold where italic was called for are Avenir, Gill Sans and Kobo Nickel.

Those oddities and the lack of diacritical support were the reason I created my font tester epub file. See the 2.4.0 bugs thread for a download link for the file:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=205931&page=6

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #65
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The three Kobo fonts on a Kobo Glo that I am aware of that display bold where italic was called for are Avenir, Gill Sans and Kobo Nickel.
Thanks for the info.
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
That drives me nuts too and I see that often in purchased books. I'll go through and delete all the identical images and use just one for all chapters and drastically cut the size of the book once compressed.
A person after my own heart. Sigil has moved up to the top of my most used programs list.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #67
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Well I would certainly buy the Aura for myself if I didn't already have a Glo. But my Mum might be tempted to replace her T1 if the lighting is as good as the Glo's.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #68
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Well I would certainly buy the Aura for myself if I didn't already have a Glo. But my Mum might be tempted to replace her T1 if the lighting is as good as the Glo's.
Don't you mean that your Mum will love her "new" Glo?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #69
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
The specs on the Aura is mouth-watering, but I will hold off buying one for now due to a few factors:

1) I recently bought a Kobo Glo about a month ago
2) Aura Software stability is unknown
3) Aura Hardware durability is unknown
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #70
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Aura software is around 95% exactly the same as touch/glo/mini. Still running nickel... sigh
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #71
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Aura software is around 95% exactly the same as touch/glo/mini. Still running nickel... sigh
While I expect that to be the case, where do you get the info from?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #72
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Woohoo, my wish came true! The over-6" market (such as it is?) has gone unfulfilled for years.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #73
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
I have a Glo and two K minis.. And I want one of these Aura's so bad my teeth are hurting!
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #74
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
From the pictures it looks like the shape of the Aura's back is asymetrical, so a different grip depending on whether you hold it left or right handed?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:31 AM   #75
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Interesting. Looking at the photos of the ends, the bottom looks symmetrical, but the top isn't. That sort of makes sense for holding it. Most people would hold it one handed near the bottom, so holding it in the left or right hand wouldn't to much different.

As to the shape of the back, my first thought was "weird". But, when I look at the photos of people holding it, I think that wide channel will make for a comfortable and safe grip.