Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Must I only choose one place to ePublish ?

Do I have to choose KDP or Smashwords or iBooks ?

Hi all,

I have just finished my first spy/terrorism book and am self publishing on KDP in the coming week or so.

Is it true that I have to choose only one of the three places to publish .. KDP or Smashwords or iBooks ?

I have written my book in Scrivener and can output any format I like.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:55 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Amazon have KDP and KDP Select. If you choose KDP Select you must stay with Amazon exclusively for at least the period specified - read their terms. Aside from that, you can publish with multiple sellers and/or distributors. I currently use Smashwords, Amazon and Kobo.

Note that Smashwords is not just a reseller, it is also a distributor - sending your book on to many other stores and libraries (if you get into the premium catalogue). But if you have also gone with Amazon directly then you should tell Smashwords NOT to distribute to Amazon (for example).

ETA: Note also that (if you don't go exclusive with KDP Select) there are many other places you should look at, including: BookBaby and Draft2Digital (these two are also distributors like Smashwords - typically you would choose one of the three, otherwise it might get confusing about who you have distributing your book to where, since their distribution channels overlap significantly). There are others too.

Last edited by gmw; 09-07-2014 at 01:00 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #3
zerofatzreturns
zerofatzreturns began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
All that being said, where are we all making the most money? 9 out of 10 are probably saying KDP by far.
zerofatzreturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
Do I have to choose KDP or Smashwords or iBooks ?

Hi all,

I have just finished my first spy/terrorism book and am self publishing on KDP in the coming week or so.

Is it true that I have to choose only one of the three places to publish .. KDP or Smashwords or iBooks ?

I have written my book in Scrivener and can output any format I like.
Just take your time and do some more research on this, saoir. There are so many choices but don't worry. As you get more familiar with things it will become clearer. KDP is the big dog so you definitely want to go with them, but with KDP you have a choice to make right off the bat. It was what gmw was telling you about: KDP's "select" program. Where your book is exclusively on Amazon for 90 days. (This can be renewed or ended after the 90 day term expires.) Obviously if you go with KDP Select you can't put your book anywhere else for the 90 days. (As a side note, many people start their book with KDP Select and then after the 90 day term expires they put their book other places as well.)

Now you need to know that if you use a place like Book Baby or Draft2Digital or Smashwords to distribute your book, they are taking a cut of the profits on top of what the direct companies would take.

For instance you can have Draft2Digital put your book on KDP. But Draft2Digital will take an additional 10% of what KDP will take on every sale.

So why go with a place like Draft2Digital or Book Baby? Convenience. They basically do it all for you. But you pay for that convenience and really it is super easy going directly to the individual companies and having them sell your book without the additional middleman taking a cut of the profits.

There is one little exception and that is unless you have a Macintosh computer you cannot submit directly to the iBookstore. That is where a place like Draft2Digital might come in handy because they can.

Here's the way I've done it. And I was thinking of covering as many bases as I could.

I have my books directly at:
KDP
Nook
Kobo

Then I also have them at iBookstore (via Draft2Digital).

Whatever is left over (from KDP, Nook, Kobo, and iBookstore) I have at Smashwords (places like Sony and Diesel). (And it's important to note what gmw said about needing to opt-out of any place you don't want be be distributed to on Smashwords or Smashwords will distribute you to all of them.)

Go slow. Start with KDP. You can start with KDP regular and then add KDP Select later. (Although many feel it is advantageous, as I mentioned earlier, to start right off with KDP Select.) Then pick the others off one by one. I promise you it's easy. Just Google:

how to get my ebooks on (fill-in-the-blank)

KDP, Nook and Kobo are a breeze.

Draft2Digital is too.

Smashwords is trickier.

Go slow. Pretty soon the whole thing will be so familiar to you.

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 09-07-2014 at 01:35 AM. Reason: additions
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just remember, if you go exclusive with Amazon, you risk alienating those that read ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just remember, if you go exclusive with Amazon, you risk alienating those that read ePub.
If you go exclusive with Amazon, you should know that you can only sell Amazon books -- no, really?!?!

I would guess the whole point of going Amazon-exclusive is that sales are more important than acaring about minorities.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-21-2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: my smilies had typos
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If you go exclusive with Amazon, you should know that you can only sell Amazon books -- no, really?!?! :eek

I would guess the whole point of going Amazon-exclusive is that sales are more important than acaring about minorities. p
Isn't the Kindle format the minority one though? I mean I know Amazon goes with that format for obvious reasons but it was my understanding that most everyone else (kobo, B&N, etc.) goes with the epub format.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Isn't the Kindle format the minority one though? I mean I know Amazon goes with that format for obvious reasons but it was my understanding that most everyone else (kobo, B&N, etc.) goes with the epub format.
The majority of books sold are Kindle books.

The majority of ebook sellers are not Amazon (because there are at least two other ebook sellers).

There is a big difference between the two. Kindle format is majority format, and a minority type of format.

Besides, B&N uses the Nook format (EPUB+Nook DRM) and Kobo uses the KEPUB format, and most others use the Adobe format (EPUB+ADEPT). So they aren't really EPUB.

Dang! The myth of the unified EPUB standard, shot to pieces -- again!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would someone who only buys epubs be browsing through Amazon's ebooks? How could you alienate someone who never heard of your book? Besides it's only for 90 days. Now if it was some big name author whose fans were desperately waiting for your new release, well then they might find out your book was only on Amazon and be ticked, a new author doesn't need to worry about that for a while.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It's the minority in terms of retailers, but the overwhelming majority in terms of actual sales. Many authors report getting 90%+ of their sales through Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

THANK YOU all of you for your replies ... I am so sorry not to have come back earlier .. I lost my bookmark and thought I had posted this Q to a different forum I know ... shameful

Edit: Having read all of your replies, It seems to make sense to publish (self publish) in KDP for now and think for a few weeks. I am 58 and a first time writer ... so I am pretty nervous

Last edited by saoir; 09-20-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
saoir
Groupie

I hope it's not inappropriate to close the thread by saying that my book has now gone live in KDP. I can see from how it is displayed and the pricing that I need to iron a few things out ... but at least it is a start.

Thanks again for the advice
Old 09-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Congrats! Best of luck with it!
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:01 AM   #14
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
I hope it's not inappropriate to close the thread by saying that my book has now gone live in KDP. I can see from how it is displayed and the pricing that I need to iron a few things out ... but at least it is a start.

Thanks again for the advice
If you did not go with KDP Select, I would encourage you to try Draft2Digital for getting your book into iTunes, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Page Foundry and Scribd with one easy submission. They take a small percentage, but it's a very simple way to get your book into more stores and you an always choose to remove your D2D submission from one of these and submit directly in the future if revenue from that story goes up.

Google Play is another easy place to submit once you have an ePub format you like.

CreateSpace is the Amazon Print on Demand service that you can also link to your eBook. It's a bit more complex to use directly, but you can also do that through Draft2Digital.

Good luck!
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote