Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #1
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Paperwhites 2013 and 2015, Nook Glowlight, iPhone, etc.
Smile Deleting books: Nook Glowlight v. Kindle Paperwhite 2013

Having sufficiently beaten up and broken-ish my Nook Glowlight (loved except for inability to delete books), I'm deciding between buying another or the Kindle Paperwhite 2013.

Inability to delete books FROM the Nook Glowlight ITSELF (must plug it into a PC) is a HUGE no-no. Basically one has to get a piece of paper, reverse page through every book you've read since you last cleaned it out - a LOT per week for me - write the name down and then find the name on the totally differently-organized folder on the PC.

This is ridiculous! I want to be able to press on the book on my ebook screen and have the choice to delete pop up ... and Goodbye!

Can you do this on the Kindle Paperwhite 2013?

And how can one be sure that one is buying the Kindle Paperwhite 2013 and NOT the original/2012 version?

Thanks!

Alley
allisondbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:43 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisondbl View Post

This is ridiculous! I want to be able to press on the book on my ebook screen and have the choice to delete pop up ... and Goodbye!

Can you do this on the Kindle Paperwhite 2013?
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
And how can one be sure that one is buying the Kindle Paperwhite 2013 and NOT the original/2012 version?
If you are buying a used one from some place other than Amazon, the only way to be sure is to see a photo of the back of the device. One says Kindle, one says Amazon (I forget which is which). If you buy from Amazon or Best Buy, it's going to be the newer one. That is what I would do. Get a new one, then you should get the refreshed one with 4gb internal storage.

The Paperwhite is much, much better than the Nook Glowlight.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just use calibre and delete what you want.

Plug you Reader into your PC and load up calibre.

It takes mere seconds and the books you want gone are gone!

Why reinvent the wheel?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
peterkobovox
peterkobovox began at the beginning.

Device: kindle oasis, voyage, nook glowlight plus, kobo aura one
I actually agree with allisondbl, I do not sync regularly, once in a while I connect my ereader to laptop (with calibre). While on the road I read many books and I like my reader to have the capability to delete ebook on the fly
peterkobovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Only B&N is that pathetic at making a UI.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I think a Nook must have bitten you as child, or something.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
allisondbl
Connoisseur
allisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to beholdallisondbl is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Just use calibre and delete what you want.

Plug you Reader into your PC and load up calibre.

It takes mere seconds and the books you want gone are gone!

Why reinvent the wheel?

Because the car came with skis??

Thanks, and I love Calibre, but you're not getting it.

I only KNOW which books I've finished as I can scroll back through the "opened that day" 'list' ON THE DEVICE. Understand I turn a LOT of things into books and can read twenty a day. Unless I can just press and delete ON DEVICE, plugging it in to something will not let me know WHICH I READ from as there is no "just accessed" sort order - EVEN IN CALIBRE - and even then maybe I looked and said nah, read that later.

The ONLY way to be sure I read THAT book today and want THAT deleted is to be able to press icon I'm looking at and delete it.

Calibre would mean the same paper, write it down and delete.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
allisondbl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes, absolutely.

If you are buying a used one from some place other than Amazon, the only way to be sure is to see a photo of the back of the device. One says Kindle, one says Amazon (I forget which is which). If you buy from Amazon or Best Buy, it's going to be the newer one. That is what I would do. Get a new one, then you should get the refreshed one with 4gb internal storage.

The Paperwhite is much, much better than the Nook Glowlight.
Bless you, Bless you: thanks and I think I'm decided! Now just a leetle price shopping ...
Old 11-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
allisondbl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Back atcha in agreement! +1
Old 11-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Bless you, Bless you: thanks and I think I'm decided! Now just a leetle price shopping ...
You may want to keep an eye on the Black Friday thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248003

ereaders-and-reading-themed Black Friday deals tracking.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
allisondbl
Connoisseur

Quote:
You may want to keep an eye on the Black Friday thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=248003

ereaders-and-reading-themed Black Friday deals tracking.

"And lo! There was a Star in the East ..." And I have a new BFF!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
"And lo! There was a Star in the East ..." And I have a new BFF!
Thank the DealMonkey.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:57 AM   #13
allisondbl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thank the DealMonkey.

Tubemonkey already done got her/him some karma! I knows whose paws to grease!