Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Installing 2.5 Update bin file

Simple question: how do you do it?

So you put the bin file in the root directory, and then what?

Any help much appreciated.

:-)
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Then you go home on your kindle, hit menu, settings, then update your kindle.

If the .bin works, the Update your Kindle selection will not be greyed out. Your kindle will update, and when it finally gets back to the home menu, you SHOULD have 2.5, you lucky .....
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
you are one lucky @#$@F@#
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks a lot. Only problem for me is how to register the Kindle. Mine is the original US Kindle DX. I managed somehow to register with 2.3 update when it came out.

Or maybe I can do without registering it? Any suggestions?
Old 05-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Why would you need to re-register unless you have de-registered? No registration needed following an update - it's a completely different process/need.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #6
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Thx SamuraiXSendai for clarifying that. As it happens, I never registered in the first place. I mostly use my DX for PDFs.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I have Kindle 2i with 2.3.4 installed. Is there a BIN file floating around for 2.5? Also, is the process reversible? Can I return to 2.3.4?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I have Kindle 2i with 2.3.4 installed. Is there a BIN file floating around for 2.5? Also, is the process reversible? Can I return to 2.3.4?

According to that Hipda, I BELIEVE someone said that they couldn't return to the previous version, unless you have the .bin for 2.3.4.... and the only.bin they have there is for the Dx international.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
swede
swede began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Intl
anyone tried the Update_431100003_472900057.bin on a Kindle 2i :-) crasched? worked?
swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
Thx SamuraiXSendai for clarifying that. As it happens, I never registered in the first place. I mostly use my DX for PDFs.
I hope you enjoy reading on your Kindle, Sheikspeare! Sounds like the PDF reading will be a better experience.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
dafire
dafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS505, Kindle DXi
I have a DXi and the .bin file didn't work.. the update menu entry was grey. When I reconnected the Kindle to my computer the .bin file was gone
dafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Is this .bin file just for the DX? I have a K2(non-i).
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
ichinomoto
ichinomoto began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2i, kindle DXi, kindle 3G+Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafire View Post
I have a DXi and the .bin file didn't work.. the update menu entry was grey. When I reconnected the Kindle to my computer the .bin file was gone
Is the version of DXi 2.3.3?
If not so, ver2.5 updater seems not to work. and gone the .bin file.

You can download DXi version 2.3.3 from
http://www.amazon.com/update_kindle_dx_gw.bin
ichinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
dafire
dafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS505, Kindle DXi
thanks.. that worked
dafire is offline   Reply With Quote