Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
Eye-Strain on LCDs is a Myth (or missunderstood)

Eye-strain is not caused by the fact that a screen is backlit.
A Paper-Book shines light into your eyes the same way, by reflection.

Eye-Strain is caused by:
- too much brightness. Your screen should not be much brighter than your Surroundings.
- other bright Light-Sources in your viewing area. Bright Lights should be above you or behind you and shine straight down only. Look at Office-Lights, they have Grid-Reflectors for this reason.
- Wrong Distance to monitor. If you have read alot of Books, your eyes might have permanently adjusted to this small Distance for reading (thus the eye-glasses to correct this) and reading at a bigger distance requires eye-muscle work and those get tired quickly causing the sensation of eye-strain.

Eye-strain is always a muscle-issue, there is nothing else in your eyes that could cause this sensation.

I had huge eye-strain issues myself and even gave up Desktop-PCs completely (Laptops were fine) until i noticed the importance of all these 3 Factors.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
Quote:
Eye-Strain on LCDs is a Myth
It is a dirty apple propaganda.

People that claim this should be jailed for 10 years in Guantanamo.

It's the same as to say that cigarettes doesn't cause cancer.

Last edited by searcher; 04-07-2010 at 12:02 PM.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
It is a dirty apple propaganda.
You failed at your own little joke. It would be propaganda from the other side, the e-ink manufacturers.

Quote:
People that claim this should be jailed for 10 years in Guantanamo.
You should consider the art of reasoning, animated GIFs are not a appropriate substitute.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolch View Post
You should consider the art of reasoning, animated GIFs are not a appropriate substitute.
Lies makes me angry. Especially lies against human health.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
schmolch
Connoisseur

Quote:
Lies makes me angry. Especially lies against human health.

So your argument is

a.) it is a lie

which is accredited and made even worse by the fact that

b.) it is a lie against human health

Now i understand your point.
I want to thank you for your bright contribution to this topic and remain respectfully.

Next?
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Eye-strain is not caused by the fact that a screen is backlit.
A Paper-Book shines light into your eyes the same way, by reflection.

Eye-Strain is caused by:
- too much brightness. Your screen should not be much brighter than your Surroundings.
- other bright Light-Sources in your viewing area. Bright Lights should be above you or behind you and shine straight down only. Look at Office-Lights, they have Grid-Reflectors for this reason.
- Wrong Distance to monitor. If you have read alot of Books, your eyes might have permanently adjusted to this small Distance for reading (thus the eye-glasses to correct this) and reading at a bigger distance requires eye-muscle work and those get tired quickly causing the sensation of eye-strain.

Eye-strain is always a muscle-issue, there is nothing else in your eyes that could cause this sensation.

I had huge eye-strain issues myself and even gave up Desktop-PCs completely (Laptops were fine) until i noticed the importance of all these 3 Factors.
Exactly .

People easily get sucked into myths. Another one that comes to mind is the megapixel myth.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'll tell my eyes that eyestrain from backlit screens is a myth.

Meanwhile, I'll avoid reading on backlit screens both handheld and monitors because my eyes believe the myth.

In other words, I can tell the difference and will stick with non-backlit screens for most of my reading.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:27 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Here is an article from the New York Times titled:

Do E-Readers Cause Eye Strain?

A couple of quotes:

Quote:
Professor Alan Hedge, director of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Laboratory at Cornell University, said that reducing eye fatigue is less a matter of choosing a specific display than of taking short breaks from looking at the screen.

Quote:
“The new LCDs don’t affect your eyes,” Mr. Taussig said. “Today’s screens update every eight milliseconds, whereas the human eye is moving at a speed between 10 and 30 milliseconds.”
Read the whole article here:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...se-eye-strain/
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
kad032000
Connoisseur
kad032000 doesn't litterkad032000 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I vastly prefer e-ink devices for leisure reading, but it has nothing to do with eye-strain.

I think people confuse the different feelings they get from e-ink and back-lit screens as strain.

An avid reader who is used to paper books will feel different when they read on a back-lit screen. Paper isn't back-lit so they feel more comfortable reading on something that isn't back-lit, simply because it's familiar.

When I read on an e-ink device I will often "forget" that I am not reading a paper book. When e-ink first came out, several people would make comments about how they would find themselves attempting to turn a page instead of clicking a button.
kad032000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Eye-strain is not caused by the fact that a screen is backlit. <snip>
The net effect is that a reflective screen in good light will effectively never cause eyestrain, which is simply not true with LCD's.

Anyway, why did you feel this needed another thread?

Madam Broshkina - Except for the minor fact that eyes do NOT refresh in a linear manner. Actually, pushing CRT refresh rates much above 100Hz causes a "shimmering" effect for many people.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think that my issue is that when staring at a backlit screen, I focus very intently and forget, on occasion, to blink as often as I should.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
kad032000
Connoisseur
kad032000 doesn't litterkad032000 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad032000 View Post
I vastly prefer e-ink devices for leisure reading, but it has nothing to do with eye-strain.

I think people confuse the different feelings they get from e-ink and back-lit screens as strain.

An avid reader who is used to paper books will feel different when they read on a back-lit screen. Paper isn't back-lit so they feel more comfortable reading on something that isn't back-lit, simply because it's familiar.

When I read on an e-ink device I will often "forget" that I am not reading a paper book. When e-ink first came out, several people would make comments about how they would find themselves attempting to turn a page instead of clicking a button.
This is somewhat of a leap in logic, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me that people would feel (often subconsciously) more stressed (easily confused with eye-strain) when reading a book on a back-lit screen for a variety of reasons:
(1) Using a back-lit device for an unfamiliar purpose
(2) Doing something familiar on an unfamiliar device (converse of 1)
(3) They retain the "computer" mindset when looking at a "computer" screen (i.e. the feeling that you need to be doing several different things at once)
kad032000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
schmolch
Connoisseur

@TallMomof2

i want everyone to read comfortably, but ask yourself what is the difference between Backlights and reflected Sunlight.

If its not the "Nature" of the light, then it must be something else, and the only differences i can see are these:

- Reflected Light can not gain Intensity (-> lower Brightness)
- E-Readers are much closer to the eyes than typical LCDs (-> adjust distance)
- avoid additional eye-strain (muscle-fatigue) from other Light-Sources (tightening the iris is additional muscle-work for the eye, thus the muscles get tired even quicker)

It would be interesting to know if those who suffer from eye-strain also dislike too much sunlight. I do.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
schmolch
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Anyway, why did you feel this needed another thread?
Because i have not seen anyone mention the importance of Distance or the surrounding Light.