Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
TheMatt
TheMatt began at the beginning.

New Reader Promo: $149 at Connect

I don't know if this is a new promotion from Sony or not, but in my paper today I saw an ad for $149 worth of ebooks at Connect with a Reader purchase. The ad points to this url:

http://www.ebooks.connect.com/$149

If this is old news, I'll kill the thread. But, I decided to un-lurk in case it's new.
TheMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think this is new news, thanks Matt! Looks like Sony needs to fix the url to their "classics" titles. http://ebooks.connect.com/Classics leads to 404.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
TheMatt
TheMatt began at the beginning.

So, as a person who is still debating a Reader purchase, how are the Sony "Classics" from Connect? I'm guessing by the price they are probably just text files, but are they well-formatted, nice-to-read files?
TheMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:35 AM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Try this link for the classics: http://ebooks.connect.com/categories/20002.html

Nice little bonus for new Reader owners.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:28 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I guess it depends whether the time it takes to download them from PG and tidy them up a bit is worth more to you than the $1.99 that "Connect" are charging for them .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2007, 04:42 AM   #6
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Geez man! You got me all excited with the title of the thread; I thought Sony was having a remarkable deal on the Readers, not just a stinkin "credit" for Connect. I can't believe they're trying convince people they're saving a lot on classics by purchasing them from Connect; boy are the buyers going to be ticked when they find relatively all of them are free! What a gimick! Now if the credit was not limited to $50 normal and $99.98 classics, it would be a better deal (though many of their prices are still way too high for digital content!).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
lol

a) sony is evil

b) publishers more so

c) and i'll bet sony's pulled this stunt just to give a big f*ck you to the publishers. it wants to see them try charging $15 for a book when every customer just received 50 free books. And not just free free, but rather as $100 in money for purchasing them. (yes, it's a subtle distinction).

kudos, sony. i still hate you though
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
i shouldn't have said "just." Sony is also trying to acclimate readers to the idea of purchasing books. They figure if you pretend-pay them 50 times, you'll maybe start trying it with real money too.

maybe. but it's also acclimating you 50 times to getting stuff for free

probably the above's mostly a cocky answer that's given when the publishers ask why their partner is scratching his eyebrow with the wrong finger.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
As I've said before, once you have an open account somewhere it's easy to fall and use it in a moment of carelessness or of profound despair.

A free ticket is the perfect entrance to evil's nest... now try to get out again... Okay I overdid it again!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Wow guys, I guess you'd prefer they didn't give any Connect credit at all.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
It'd have been nice for Sony to help remind us current owners how to buy books (albeit for free with regards to those classics); ah well, c'est la vie.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry - I've just twigged what's going on. I thought earlier that the "offer" was selling these for $1.99. Just realised that they're giving people $100 of these $1.99 books for free. (I know, I'm slow ). That's GREAT as far as I'm concerned - 50 free books! What on Earth is there to complain about???
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
If you like owning DRM'd stuff you're entitled to it I guess... It's no more ownership than a movie rental.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #14
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

These DRM conversations are like a loop. First someone says it's like a movie rental, then someone says so, it's free, then someone complains that it's not perceived to be a rental even though it's free, then someone says who cares about the perception, it's still free, you lose nothing, rinse repeat...
Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #15
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
If you like owning DRM'd stuff you're entitled to it I guess... It's no more ownership than a movie rental.
You know, after downloading a few Gutenberg Books, I'm actually thinking Sony's DRMed books are the lesser of two evils.

Have you read Gutenberg's $#@&@ license? It's idiotic! The first book I converted for the Reader wasted like 15 pages on the License... THEN it had the audacity to say "Now the Short Version" which went on another two pages! I mean, c'mon... 17 pages to say "this text is free"??

Sure you can delete the license from the book and use it in the clear, but still it's like... free isn't actually free after all!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote