Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Games based on books (now with 100% more pictures)

Just pondering about my to favorite pass times, books and gaming, i remembered an old C64 game that i had seen but never owned "Rendezvous with Rama".

I never owned the game but loved the book so the game never really influenced how i picture Rama to be. However last week i saw the game from eBay for €10 so i decided to pick it up and i'm so glad i did.

This is one of the rare cases that the two mediums really compliment each other. The game itself was a very basic adventure game but the packaging was AMAZING.

so without further delay

Front

Back

Inside left

Inside right

Inside full

Inside inside left

Inside inside middle left

Inside inside middle right

Inside inside right

Inside inside full

That's pretty darn impressive. A lot of work went into that, they really got the mood and setting down. They also added mission briefing, commanders handbook and map of the ship.

Mission briefing side I

Mission briefing side II

Commanders handbook

Ship map

And the best for last a full topographic map of the Rama plains.

Topographic map left

Topographic map right

Topographic map full

I wish they still made games like this, i makes any current CE look pretty plain. I'll do some more of these from time to time as i think this kind of info should not just fade and disappear.

edit: full res pictures can be found HERE

Have you guys ever found an extended world outside the original book in a different medium? Pictures would be great but as we are a reading forum i pretty sure we can imagine it if we have to
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Oh, I thought you meant like CLUE and stuff.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That must be a collectable! Very cool artwork from that period.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I can only think of one game.

Dune 2 (and later its remake, Dune 2000). It also inspired a line of games that is still going strong (C&C anyone? though a lot of people think that C&C was the first...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I never knew clue was a book originally but that does expand on the book in a great way. Also loved the movie with Madeline Kahn

Dune 2 was great never finished it though. The original Dune game foe DOS was great to, it was officially based on the film but really had more to do with the book.

Last edited by electristan; 02-28-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
That must be a collectable! Very cool artwork from that period.
The artwork seems to be unsigned, but it looks like Chesley Bonestell!

(Except, he died in 1986).
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
electristan
newbie reader

Quote:
The artwork seems to be unsigned, but it looks like Chesley Bonestell!

(Except, he died in 1986).
Still could be as the game came out in 1984, never know