Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
TobyFlenderson
TobyFlenderson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
New to All of this, Can GMAIL Be Helpful?

Hello Everyone,

Im brand new here, so please forgive me for intruding at all. Ive been following the site a bit and just purchased a 505 (which I am waiting for it to arrive). One of the main things I want to familiarize myself with are better ways of making PDF files more readable and thus usable...

I was wondering if sending a PDF to yourself and then viewing it as html could be helpful in accomplishing this..possibly then copying them to word or something of the such. Of course without the reader in my hands quite yet, its hard for my to experiment at the moment, but I was just trying to get prepared so I can tear through it once it is in my hands.

I ask because after reading through some (most likely not enough) threads some of the options to convert may seem difficult for someone like me.

Again thanks for everything, and I look forward to learning a lot from all the great people here!
TobyFlenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For most PDF's you'd be better off with Book Designer for conversion IMO.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #3
Bubble
Enthusiast
Bubble has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bubble has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bubble has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
What type of content will you be reading through PDF format?

Pure text?

Text with pictures?
Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
TobyFlenderson

Well, Im a graduate student at the University of Maryland so I have a lot of scholarly journal articles to read (A LOT.) and most of the databases proved them in PDF format. Most of the articles have maybe one or two photos or a chart or something, but in reality all I really need is the text.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
Bubble
Enthusiast
Bubble has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bubble has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bubble has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
If its pure text then it is easy from what I been reading. I'm sure you can see the massive amount of sticky-spam above this thread. Check them out and see what work.

Personally for me, I find that if its pure text, all I need to do is run it through libprs500 by kovidgoyal. The program is called pdf2lrf and the original thread is here
Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2008, 02:27 AM   #6
TobyFlenderson

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, just haven't had a lot of time to sit down and read through this stuff, but I'm sure once my reader arrives I'll be more motivated to do so
Old 04-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I've looked into several different ways to accomplish this myself. There is no perfect tool.

If all you need is text then you can get away with using libprs500. It only really handles text and does not do a good job with tables, images, etc.

If this database creates the PDF and you can set the page size then I would recommend keeping them PDF and just set the page size. The SONY reader DOES handle PDF just fine and are very readable, they just have to be created for the READER to look good. The problem is most PDF are created for letter size(8.5x11") or larger.

There is one that I've found to be the best tool for reading PDF. I tend to read a lot of tecnical books with tables, charts and images. So keeping the layout is very important to me.
This tool is written for the SONY reader and is a tool called PDFLRF (note not the same one listed above)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135

It turns each page to an image then enhances the image to bold the fonts and remove extra white spaces.
This of course has the drawback of making the LRF(PDF) much larger since it turns the text to an image.

Hope this helps,
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote