Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
When does Sony usually upgrade its reader line?

My old 505 is pretty much dead. I have been looking at some of their other models but since I am in China, I won't have access to purchase until I get back to Canada in the summer. I don't want to buy a new reader only to have a newer model come out the next month. I realise that there is not a fixed date but historically, when does Sony release new readers?

As for the price, what is up with Sony Canada? Their prices are way higher than the US prices which is irritating since the Canadian dollar is currently trading at par or even higher. Not a big deal to make a trip to the States to get a cheaper price. Sometimes I don't understand Canadian companies.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Dude! Doesn't China have awesome knockoffs? I saw some cool color readers somewhere on the internet, why limit yourself to sony? And being in China wouldn't it be better to get a Kindle to get over the great firewall of china?

And Sony just released new models with pearl screen a few months ago so don't worry. On top of that, don't think that Sony will come out with something "revolutionary and magical" with their next models (which I personally expect by end 2011 or 2012) so chill... you can go for the new models. Although I still love my 505.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lots of knockoffs but the prices are crazy. Way more than Canada. As well, many have no English menus, just Chinese. I do plan on looking at some more models next month though. Hopefully they will stop charging over $300 US for basic 6" readers.

The firewall is not a problem since i use a quasi-VPN. I don't like the Kindles because I think they are ugly with the keyboard compared to the Sony models. I would still use my 505 but the battery lasts about four hours until a new charge is required. I replaced the battery but that failed as well. It is about time I get a new one. The Sony 350 looks nice but maybe I will get a Chinese model over here. Will see what I can find.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sony seems to release new models pretty regularly in October-November each year.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
My old 505 is pretty much dead. I have been looking at some of their other models but since I am in China, I won't have access to purchase until I get back to Canada in the summer. I don't want to buy a new reader only to have a newer model come out the next month. I realise that there is not a fixed date but historically, when does Sony release new readers?

As for the price, what is up with Sony Canada? Their prices are way higher than the US prices which is irritating since the Canadian dollar is currently trading at par or even higher. Not a big deal to make a trip to the States to get a cheaper price. Sometimes I don't understand Canadian companies.
My 505 broke over christmas. I was able to trade in the broken 505 for $75 off a new Sony. I think they are still offering $50 for your old reader. If it's a Sony, they don't care if it's working or not. (My screen had a crack in it.)
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Announce in August/September, start delivery in Sept - October. At least the last two years.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Since the readers are imported, I wonder if Canada charges a much higher import fee than other countries like the USA?

If you are not going to purchase until this summer, you probably should wait to see what Sony announces in September.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:11 AM   #8
Tom Swift
Addict

Yeah, I am going to wait until I get back to Canada. I was looking at models in Shanghai and there are quite a few models and designs available, but the cheapest was about $250 US all the way up to $500 US, which is crazy. I asked some of the sellers and they agreed that the prices were way too high and that nobody is buying them but the manufactures were not going to lower the prices anytime soon, which is just silly.