Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #31
botyok
botyok began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
@Bookworm_Girl: Thanks for correcting my tip. I really hope my new NC won't have anymore issues. But still, I got to say, it's a beautiful device. There's nothing in the market now that I can compare it with.
botyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #32
cdawg
cdawg began at the beginning.

Device: nookColor
I just got one for Christmas and it's a very interesting little device! I found this thread looking for some tips and it's been totally useful!

I found that if you double tap the n on the homescreen, it'll open your last book where you left off. Therefore, if you're in an app or on the web if you triple tap the n, you'll go back to your book.
cdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #33
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawg View Post
I just got one for Christmas and it's a very interesting little device! I found this thread looking for some tips and it's been totally useful!

I found that if you double tap the n on the homescreen, it'll open your last book where you left off. Therefore, if you're in an app or on the web if you triple tap the n, you'll go back to your book.
ahh very cool, thanks for sharing.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #34
Kymmmm
Connoisseur
Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kymmmm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color and Simple Touch
Is there any way to set the reading font to a particular size and orientation and for the NC to open all books in the font and orientation? I can't seem to bring up a menu by holding my finger on the screen center.

ta
Kymmm
Kymmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #35
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Shelf For Current Reads

Since we can't place sideloaded content onto the homescreen here's a way to gain quick access to several books/periodicals/docs you're reading without using the homescreen drop down list.

Do this after you have created all of your shelves.

Access My Shelves. Sort by Most Recent. Create a new shelf, Current Reads or something similar. Place all of the books/periodicals/docs that you're currently reading on this shelf. Your current reads always appear as the first shelf, making it easy for you to grab from your current reading pile.

If you have to add other shelves down the road, thus making Current Reads no longer the most recent one, delete the shelf and start the above process again. Don't forget to sort by Most Recent.

Edit: Someone has a twist on this. Much better than what I said to do.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=48

Last edited by SCION; 01-12-2011 at 10:23 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmmm View Post
Is there any way to set the reading font to a particular size and orientation and for the NC to open all books in the font and orientation? I can't seem to bring up a menu by holding my finger on the screen center.

ta
Kymmm
As far as I know, the only time landscape mode works for books is when you read a children's book or a PDF. Unfortunately you cannot view ePubs in landscape. I wish the NC would allow a two page landscape view like the Sony PRS950 does. The 7" screen is perfect for that view.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #37
ShawnE
ShawnE began at the beginning.

Device: Original Cybook, Sony 505. Sony 900 and Nook Color
I got a beautiful wallpaper from Digitalblasphemy.com They have some freebies and have
various sized pics. I love this guy's stuff - go look

As to what I'd like to figure out.. I bought a book on B&N but since it is in their "cloud"
I don't have it on my harddrive.. not in Caliber... not in ADE.. don't like that. Think
I'll buy/download/sideload books.

If I'm wrong on that let me know - I'd like to be wrong!

Holding off on rooting until 2.2 comes out - supposedly in January - which means in March

Oh and I bought capacitive stylus for the Ipad - works on any finger touch screen - made turning pages easier and without smudges.
Reading Beekeepers Apprentice

Last edited by ShawnE; 12-30-2010 at 07:40 PM.
ShawnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #38
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Is anyone aware of any soft-keys on the screen (or desktop for rooted users) that will do a shutdown with just a quick press and confirm?
Do you mean a full shutdown (power off)?

If so, I use Quick Boot

It gives both reboot and shutdown options (and recovery, but that's not useful until further hacking allows full nandroid access). I put the app on my homescreen, one click to launch the app, and one click to choose option. No further confirm unless you configure it to do so.

If you do use this, use the settings to hide the recovery and bootloader options.

Last edited by zartemis; 12-30-2010 at 07:37 PM.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #39
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Do you mean a full shutdown (power off)?

If so, I use Quick Boot

It gives both reboot and shutdown options (and recovery, but that's not useful until further hacking allows full nandroid access). I put the app on my homescreen, one click to launch the app, and one click to choose option. No further confirm unless you configure it to do so.

If you do use this, use the settings to hide the recovery and bootloader options.
Thanks. Will try.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #40
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnE View Post
I got a beautiful wallpaper from Digitalblasphemy.com They have some freebies and have
various sized pics. I love this guy's stuff - go look

As to what I'd like to figure out.. I bought a book on B&N but since it is in their "cloud"
I don't have it on my harddrive.. not in Caliber... not in ADE.. don't like that. Think
I'll buy/download/sideload books.
If you have a PC (rather than a Mac) you can get 'Nook for PC' & DL your 'B&N cloud' books to the PC that way. They end up in your c:\users\{YourLoginName}\My Documents\My Barnes & Noble Books\{YourRegisteredEmail}

I had the 'Nook for PC' before I got my NC.

Quote:
Oh and I bought capacitive stylus for the Ipad - works on any finger touch screen - made turning pages easier and without smudges.
Which stylus did you buy. I got these on Amazon but the tips don't swipe very well. I got them for my Droid because when the weather is cool & dry, my fingers sometimes don't do very well on the capacitive touch screen. It (the stylus) works OK for touching though.

Last edited by slayda; 12-31-2010 at 06:15 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:38 PM   #41
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
You can also download copies of your books for backup from your account's "My Nook Library" on the BN website. Each book in your library has a "Download" button, even samples too. With a Mac using the Safari web browser, the default download format is PDB files which are not compatible with the NOOKcolor. To change the download format to EPUB files, follow these steps:

1) In Safari, go to Preferences > Advanced. Then check the box that says "Show Develop menu in menu bar". You will now see "Develop" in the menu bar between the Bookmarks and Window menus.
2) From the menu bar, select Develop > User Agent > Internet Explorer 8.0. This effectively makes your browser appear to be IE rather than Safari to the Barnes and Noble website. It will think you are on a PC rather than a Mac.
3) Now download your books at the BN website, and they will be EPUB format.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #42
ShawnE
ShawnE began at the beginning.

Device: Original Cybook, Sony 505. Sony 900 and Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Which stylus did you buy. I got [URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VU3504/ref=oss_product"
these[/URL] on Amazon but the tips don't swipe very well. I got them for my Droid because when the weather is cool & dry, my fingers sometimes don't do very well on the capacitive touch screen. It (the stylus) works OK for touching though.
I got Targus Stylus for Apple ipad. the "stylus" is a bit misleading. The point needs to be roughly the size of a finger not a pen. The hot spot is too large for a pen size stylus. Picked it up at officemax for 15 bucks

hope that helps
ShawnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #43
NookBookLover
NookBookLover began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You don't need to sign out of Pandora for the app to quit. Simply pause the song before leaving the app. After a few minutes of being paused the app will quit on its own. When you return to Pandora you'll be logged in and on the same song that you paused. Just press play and resume.
Thanks, that's great to know.
NookBookLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #44
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
Don't laugh at me too much, but I didn't realize that instead of swiping, you could just lightly tap the right side of the page to advance a page and lightly tape the left side of the page to go back. That's what happens when you don't read the manual. It is in the manual, I assume?
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #45
marzvix
marzvix doesn't littermarzvix doesn't littermarzvix doesn't litter

Device: Nookcolor
Accented Characters

How to write accented letters in nookcolor virtual keyboard?

Simple: just "long-press" (press and keep pressed) each virtual key. (á à ã ä â, ç, etc..)

It will show accented characters available, so pick one.
marzvix is offline   Reply With Quote