Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Series Numbering

I appreciate requests for enhancement should be made by raising a ticket but I have seen possible changes discussed in the forum and an impression gained as to whether the proposal is possible and can be accomplished with relative ease.

I can see circumstances where I would like to place books in a series to keep them together but without any numbering. An example would be the plays of Shakespeare.

I would like a button on the individual edit metadata screen and indeed the edit bulk metadata alongside the number field opting for no brackets and no number in the screenview for that/those books. It could perhaps be a toggle so the decision could be reversed later if desired.

I wonder if anyone else supports this idea
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1944 View Post
I appreciate requests for enhancement should be made by raising a ticket but I have seen possible changes discussed in the forum and an impression gained as to whether the proposal is possible and can be accomplished with relative ease.

I can see circumstances where I would like to place books in a series to keep them together but without any numbering. An example would be the plays of Shakespeare.

I would like a button on the individual edit metadata screen and indeed the edit bulk metadata alongside the number field opting for no brackets and no number in the screenview for that/those books. It could perhaps be a toggle so the decision could be reversed later if desired.

I wonder if anyone else supports this idea
Make a Tag [The Bards works], no need to misuse "Series"
To do bulk <anything>, simply set the filter to the tag(s) you want
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Make a Tag [The Bards works], no need to misuse "Series"
To do bulk <anything>, simply set the filter to the tag(s) you want
I agree - there's no reason to use "Series." If you don't like using a Tag, just set up a custom text field "Series_Without_Indices" (or whatever) and use that. Personally, I put all non-indexed series into [0] and sort them by 0.1, 0.2 etc. I like to be able to sort.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
One option would be to use a zero.

I made a custom text column in one of my libraries to get around that problem. I wanted to name it Series but calibre did not like that since it already had a column named Series. I got around that by naming it Series with a space in front of it. When displayed, the space is not noticeable in the column heading. Now I have a Series column with no numbering. One could manually add numbering to a column like that if one wanted some series unnumbered and others numbered or put the numbered series under an unnumbered series heading and the numbered names in a numbered subseries column.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 10-17-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote