Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #31
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Wow, never thought installing an app and attaching a cable would be up there with a Houdini act...
That's what i was thinking , it seem my sister who suffers from multiple sclerosis must have a great crack at entering the next Paralympic Games games as she seems to do ok connecting the OTG cable into my nexus 7 when she wants to borrow it
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #32
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That they do. The 4 doesn't have a rear cam flash, but the 5 does. To make matters worse for the 5.8, it does not have a rear cam. It would be nice if they could incorporate all of the features in a single 5" ~ 6" wifi device.
OMG.

Monkey, you have again peeled the banana with only a flick of your tongue.

"all the features in a single 5" to 6" wifi device" What an idea!

Why that would mean that sites like mobileread.com would disappear. People would be happy and content and have time to volunteer to help the poor and the needy.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
OMG.

Monkey, you have again peeled the banana with only a flick of your tongue.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Well, here's a brief hands-on video and this one has a rear cam (no flash). Initial reports only had a front cam. Chances are, this one is for the Korean market. They usually get better features than the US versions.

Paraphrasing the JeepMan, you're left wondering who'd buy this thing.

Samsung Galaxy Player 5.8 Hands On
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #35
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's certainly too big for it's boots as i have media players dating back to 2005 that are smaller There all more pocketable than this 2012 colossus in dimensions it's only thinner from 2005 technology .
$400 US dollars in Korea did they pull the price out of thin air ?

Archos 604 Wifi 30GB web browsing & touch screen tech -2006 9.17oz
CREATIVE Zen vision W 30GB & a 60gb version 2005 9.73oz

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-10-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #36
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Well, here's a brief hands-on video and this one has a rear cam (no flash). Initial reports only had a front cam. Chances are, this one is for the Korean market. They usually get better features than the US versions.

Paraphrasing the JeepMan, you're left wondering who'd buy this thing.

Samsung Galaxy Player 5.8 Hands On
I know that the days of standalone PMP devices is nearing an end, but I wish they'd make a high quality Android-based player that focus on media playback than on multipurpose use.

I still have a Zune HD that I use daily... use it more than my iPod Touch. And although I've rooted and flashed a spare LG Optimus V optimized for media playback, the hardware and experience are still very phone-like.

Maybe I'll just wait to see if the GPlayer 5.0 gets the Woot! treatment and gets clearanced out and settle for that.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #37
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I still have a Zune HD ...
Oh, so you are the guy who bought it!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #38
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Oh, so you are the guy who bought it!

I've owned a Zune since the first gen models hit Woot. I thought that the whole ecosystem was far more polished and usable than iPod/iTunes is now. Even though the HD hardware is over 3 yrs old it still blows all other PMP devices away for responsiveness, audio quality, and video quality.

OK, enough of the stroll down gadget memory lane....
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #39
darksaber35
Banned

I found a funny Korean advert for the device which seems to go for the odd slant of selling the galaxy 5.8 as a educational device

I also turned up a you tube video of a Russian guy doing a short review of his galaxy and he must of been lucky enough to go to Korea as it's currently only on sale there at the moment and Russians are normally the last to get any new gadgets because of there location.

The Russian review clearly shows that the 5.8 has a replaceable battery and he said that the price of roughly $300 was worth it
Samsung better get there act together on the price otherwise they will be racing with a 3 legged donkey at such a high price,even at $200 it would face stiff competition.

Korean advert
http://youtu.be/2C-v33c0sDo

Russian review-NONE ENGLISH but has good footage
http://youtu.be/ttpv3ONlYHM

I wonder if these kids in the Korean advert are considered cool there.

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-24-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #40
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
I found a funny Korean advert for the device which seems to go for the odd slant of selling the galaxy 5.8 as a educational device

I also turned up a you tube video of a Russian guy doing a short review of his galaxy and he must of been lucky enough to go to Korea as it's currently only on sale there at the moment and Russians are normally the last to get any new gadgets because of there location.

The Russian review clearly shows that the 5.8 has a replaceable battery and he said that the price of roughly $300 was worth it
Samsung better get there act together on the price otherwise they will be racing with a 3 legged donkey at such a high price,even at $200 it would face stiff competition.
Well, Amazon has all the Samsung players 3.6, 4, 4.2 and 5 for less than $200. I would not expect a 5.8 to be more than $275.
I think the 5 started at about that a year or more ago.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #41
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I have been looking where to purchase the new Galaxy Player 5.8 but am not having much luck. Anyone know where it can be purchased?
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #42
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
I know that the days of standalone PMP devices is nearing an end, but I wish they'd make a high quality Android-based player that focus on media playback than on multipurpose use.

The KFHD seems to be focused on media-playing. It's just too large for easy portability and I'd have to go to $250 to get 32GB. So, I bought the SGP5 (at $170 plus 32GB mSD card for $18) but haven't seen it yet. Won't be near the Kindle quality - but the best unit is the one at hand.

Last edited by rgeorg; 12-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #43
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
The KFHD seems to be focused on media-playing. It's just too large for easy portability and I'd have to go to $250 to get 32GB. So, I bought the SGP5 (at $170 plus 32GB mSD card for $18) but haven't seen it yet. Won't be near the Kindle quality - but the best unit is the one at hand.
I have a KFHD. It is a beautiful media playing device... but not pocketable.

I was considering the SGP5, but it never dropped down to a price that was reasonable for a nearly 2 yr old device, so I ended up buying a new Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket (no contract). It was only $20 more than the SGP5 and exceeds the SGP5 in every spec except screen size... the SII is 4.5" vs the 5" on the SGP5.

I have a 32GB microSD card in it but will be upgrading to a 64GB soon.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #44
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
I have a KFHD. It is a beautiful media playing device... but not pocketable.

I was considering the SGP5, but it never dropped down to a price that was reasonable for a nearly 2 yr old device, so I ended up buying a new Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket (no contract). It was only $20 more than the SGP5 and exceeds the SGP5 in every spec except screen size... the SII is 4.5" vs the 5" on the SGP5.

I have a 32GB microSD card in it but will be upgrading to a 64GB soon.
I agree. When I looked online though, the SGII was $300-$350 which is a larger price difference. Perhaps I looked at the wrong model, or you got a great deal? Whatever, I have purchased the SGP5 and look forward to using it.

I am also thinking about the KFHD for home browsing and media playback. I played with one for a few weeks (setting it up for a friend) and it was amazing, although somewhat less useful in Europe.

You have really informative posts - I am struggling over whether I am wasting money buying both devices. I envision the SGP5 as a go-to device that I carry in my pocketbook, while the KFHF would be the home/weekend-house device for web, movies and reading in dimmer (not dark) light. Do you think (based on your devices) that there is enough of a difference to warrant the expense?

I could wait and test it out for myself, but your opinion would be appreciated. Do you read on the KFHD?

Last edited by rgeorg; 12-19-2012 at 03:00 AM.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #45
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I am struggling over whether I am wasting money buying both devices.
I wonder that too. I recently bought a Galaxy Note 2 which has basically replaced my Nexus 7. I love the GN2, it's about the same size as the Galaxy Player 5.8. I can read books on it and it's everywhere I am.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote