Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
proDOOMman
Enthusiast
proDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
KindleNote - making notes on Kindle

KindleNote - it is a small utility that lets you keep notes on the Kindle. Kindlet was created as an analogue of Notepad, but with support for physical alternate keyboard localisation.

The list of possibilities:
  • create, delete, rename notes
  • save notes in txt format (UTF-8, Unix line-breaks)
  • search by note's title
  • OSD hint of alternative layouts while editing
  • control with keyboard shortcuts
  • notes encryption (AES 128-bit)

Installation:
  1. Install Jailbreak
  2. If you have file "linkjail/etc/whitelist", you should add to it "update_dev-key" string (tip)
  3. Download KindleNote.azw2 and update_dev-key_0.4.zip
  4. Connect Kindle to computer and copy KindleNote.azw2 into "documents" folder and correct* file from update_dev-key_0.4.zip - into root directory
  5. Home->Menu->Settings->Menu->Update Your Kindle
  6. Kindle restarts
  7. You can work with program! (In "Aa" menu you can change language to "en" and then restarts program)
  8. ...
  9. PROFIT!

*correct - file update_dev-key_0.4.N_${version}_install.bin, where ${version} =
  • k3w - Kindle 3 Wi-Fi [B008]
  • k3g - Kindle 3G [B006]
  • k3gb - Kindle 3G UK [B00A]
  • etc.

Screenshots:

The working directory of applet is (/mnt/us/)developer/KindleNote/work. in this directory kindlet saves notes and configuration files. There is 2 config files: keyboard.txt and keyboard.png. First of them - alternate keyboard layout settings, and second - OSD hint in edit mode.
Keyboard layout changing based on physical keyboard localisation hack. Thanks to Sir Alex

Updates:
2013.09.29 - fixed five way button for Kindle 3 with firmware v3.4
2011.05.27 - added workaround for bug "...title have an invalid date". If date on Kindle is too old, it will be set to 1 Jan 2013
2011.04.08 - added encryption of notes. Maybe fixed bug with edit widget focus loss
2011.04.09 - fixed decryption

Program homepage: https://github.com/proDOOMman/KindleNote
Original thread on russian forum: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18846

NOTE: This applet don't work on Kindle 3 with firmware older then 3.1

Translated by GoogleTranslate and me

Last edited by proDOOMman; 09-29-2013 at 03:08 AM.
proDOOMman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by proDOOMman View Post
PROFIT!
Indeed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-20362.gif
Views:	2852
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	69544  
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
socialcompu
socialcompu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindlenote.png
Views:	1682
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	69545  
socialcompu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Awesome !
What is the license of your code ? Am I allowed to modify it and distribute the modified version ?
I'd like to add the keypress timeout feature I've added to physkeyb before and also to translate the UI to Czech.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
socialcompu
socialcompu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Awesome !
What is the license of your code ? Am I allowed to modify it and distribute the modified version ?
I'd like to add the keypress timeout feature I've added to physkeyb before and also to translate the UI to Czech.
GPLv3 https://github.com/proDOOMman/KindleNote
socialcompu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:56 AM   #6
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Wow, nice. Makes me wish I'd held back on buying Notepad. Only problem is I am doing testing for an official Amazon app at the moment, so can't mess with the keystores. When that's over I will be giving this a run. Thanks!
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
proDOOMman
Enthusiast
proDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheeseproDOOMman can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Awesome !
It would be better if you send me git pull request and I add your patches to mainstream
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you try with 3.02 firmware or is it a guess only?
Kindlevarazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
proDOOMman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlevarazs View Post
Did you try with 3.02 firmware or is it a guess only?
This kindlet uses some API functions that are not available in 3.02.
All people that try to launch KindleNote on 3.02 say that it don't work.
My kindle has 3.1 firmware and I can't downgrade it to try launch program
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much:-((( I don't want to upgrade:-(
Kindlevarazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
Only problem is I am doing testing for an official Amazon app at the moment, so can't mess with the keystores. When that's over I will be giving this a run. Thanks!
While I'm not sure if the keystore distributed here already is a combined one, I'm perfectly sure that instead of replacing one keystore by another, you can just combine two keystores and thus have your kindle accept both keys for Kindlets.

It works with the "-importkeystore" command of the "keytool" command, distributed with Sun's JDK:

keytool -importkeystore -srckeystore developer-to-import.keystore -destkeystore developer.keystore

will integrate "developer-to-import.keystore" into "developer-to-import.keystore".
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
I really like this, thanks! For some reason, though, when I make a new note, I type the title, press enter, and it gives me a blank page. I press enter again, but nothing happens. No amount of button-pressing lets me edit it. When I press Back it takes me to the home screen. Then if I open it again and try to edit that note, it works. Any idea why this might be happening?
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #13
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by proDOOMman View Post
It would be better if you send me git pull request and I add your patches to mainstream
Sure, that's what I prefer.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 AM   #14
proDOOMman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1up View Post
I really like this, thanks! For some reason, though, when I make a new note, I type the title, press enter, and it gives me a blank page. I press enter again, but nothing happens. No amount of button-pressing lets me edit it. When I press Back it takes me to the home screen. Then if I open it again and try to edit that note, it works. Any idea why this might be happening?
This bug is present in some devices. On russian forum also there is one user that has this bug.
Presently I have no idea why it may be happened, but I will try to fix it
Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #15
G.T.
G.T. began at the beginning.

Hi, I have a problem. I have tried to install this, but when I try to open Notepad, it shows me, that it can´t run because of some testing of aplication .... so I tried to unnistal developer-keystore-installer-0.2 a install it again, but it shows me error (firstly i don´t watch it, so i don´t know, if this error showed me during first attempt) and restart. Could you help me? TY ...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote