Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
kelchm
kelchm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Anyone made the switch from nook to Kindle 3?

Currently have a nook. Thinking about making the switch to Kindle.

My reasoning:
  • higher contrast and faster screen
  • overall better book selection
  • better battery life

This may just be wishful thinking on my part, but I'm also hoping that the books will be of higher quality.

For example, the copy of Atlas Shrugged I am currently reading on my nook is rife with typos/OCR errors. I probably would have been better off with a pirated copy, atleast that would have been proofread. Do you see these kinds of problems on the Kindle books, too?

On the other hand, the idea of jumping onto an even more locked down device isn't very appealing.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by kelchm; 09-24-2010 at 02:27 AM.
kelchm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I have made the switch, although I will keep my nook for library books and to read my epubs. I love the K3, and it has become my preferred reader. In my opinion, the screens are comparable. I don’t notice much difference. The nook’s screen was a lot better than the Sony PRS-300 that I sold to buy the K3. I do have more choices in font sizes and line spacing with the K3. There is no comparison between the battery life. The K3 is so much better. With the 3G/WiFi on, I can go a little over a week on a charge (I read about 2 hrs. a day). The nook only goes about 4 days with 3G/WiFi off. The K3 is much lighter and easier to hold. I love the page turns on the K3…they are much faster. I can hold it with one hand and change pages. I have the graphite, and I love the darker color.

Most of the books I have read from Amazon have been free. I have not seen any errors yet, but I don’t think I have read enough of their books to answer that question for you.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
el_brio
Enthusiast
el_brio began at the beginning.

Device: Commodore 64
The device isn't as "locked down" as you might think. You can pretty much put anything on it with a little effort.
el_brio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
thadiyan
Enthusiast
thadiyan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Touch
Not to knock on the nook, but running Android automatically doesn't make the Nook a much more "open" system. The E-readers such as the Kindle/Nook etc are great devices to read books and thats about it. Trying to shoe horn a bunch of apps is a futile exercise.

The hacks available for the newest kindle makes loading fonts changing screensavers a breeze.
thadiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I switched from a nook to a K3. I love it. The screen contrast is amazing. Even more so is the speed of the screen refresh. It's very fast. Using the menus is a joy. I have yet to charge my device since the first time two weeks ago. Numerically the K3 isn't that much smaller, but it really makes a big difference. I can hold it one handed much longer than the nook.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
parafluie
Enthusiast
parafluie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3,
Kel, your sig says you have a Sony. Are you going from Sony to Nook to K3? What was it about the Sony you didn't like?
parafluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
RPribyl
RPribyl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
Count in the newly converted "Kindle" camp! I've only had my K3 for about 2 days but I'm already a convert. The page turning is much faster, and I actually love that it's a lot lighter. That wasn't one of the perks I was going for but it works. I had been worried that Calibre converts wouldn't work well on the Kindle but so far so good!
RPribyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
kelchm
kelchm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Just wanted to post an update on this. I've received my Kindle 3 and could not be happier. It is a great device and in my opinion, it trumps the nook in almost every way.
kelchm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Don't let B&N know about your choice, they may put a hit on you...
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 AM   #10
hurricane
hurricane began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I am converted. I tried using nook for a couple weeks, thinking that its support for library books would outweigh everything a kindle has to offer. How wrong I was! Using nook was actually very cumbersome for me. Awful folder organization, slow dictionary, the absence of a physical keyboard, the heavy weight, fewer (apparent) choices of books and magazines at b&n.... all prompted me to return the nook.

then I decided to get a k3. sure it does not support library books but everything so far has work out much better than nook IMO. lighter, faster typing, much more intuitive dictionary, etc....
hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Have nook and Kindle 3 both

I bought a Kindle 3 when they hit my local Target a week or so ago. After playing with it, I got buyer's remorse and let a very well-informed B&N employee sell me a nook. Now I've made a choice. Much of my reasoning is subjective, but your choice is yours and my choice is mine.

As I had a couple of days off work to play with both of my shiny new toys, I decided the faults I originally noted with my K3 also existed on the nook. And the primary reason I let myself be sold on the nook -- the nice LCD display -- wasn't nearly as useful in real life as it was fun in the store. After loading up a few hundred books the coverflow lags. Not only that, but like most LCD screens it is more or less unusable outdoors.

My K3 is a bit lighter (without the lighted case, that is). My initial comparison on page turns is that they were the same, but I realize the delay on the nook is slightly longer and more annoying than it is on the K3. Mind you, the difference is probably measurable in milliseconds but it's still noticeable when switching back and forth between the two readers.

The K3's graphite case fades away while the shiny white iplastic bezel on the nook (and presumably on the white K3, to be fair) reflects glare, especially when using the lighted cover. The pearl e-ink display on the K3 really does look better and offers better contrast. Some letters on the nook (especially the lower case "d") aren't well-formed and the contrast is striking after long periods of reading.

When it all comes down to it, reading for long periods of time is exactly why I have an e-reader!

Last edited by jlmwrite; 10-06-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: The nook is going back to B&N this afternoon!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote