Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 02:54 PM   #91
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I thought the point was that there were books already paid for in LRF format (DRM'd) that someone wanted to be able to read on a Mobi reader instead?
Once again.. since there is NO WAY to remove the DRM from an LRX (the encrypted file extension for a BBeB ebook). Having a way to convert from LRF to Mobi wouldn't help. If it is an unencrypted LRF the same ebooks is probably findable in the mobi format from the source. I haven't seen a place yet that provides LRF files that doesn't also have a txt or mobi format also.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #92
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Once again.. since there is NO WAY to remove the DRM from an LRX (the encrypted file extension for a BBeB ebook).
Yes, I know that. My point was that the question posed was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
For that matter, if I buy a bunch of books off the Sony store, and if at some point Amazon gets their heads out of their collective backsides and designs something really nice, how about a way to take my DRM'ed LRF books and convert them to MOBI?
And the answer is no. If one buys Topaz formatted books, there is no known way to read them on anything else but a Kindle, and if one buys DRM'd books from Sony, there's no way to read them on anything but a Sony PRS. Yes, one solution could be to avoid buying books directly in either of these formats, e.g. buying them in LIT instead, with the intent of stripping the DRM and converting so one could read them on either the Kindle or the Sony PRS (or some other system), but that wasn't the question mdibella was asking.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #93
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Calibre does not and will not allow you to remove DRM. If you want to do that, you have to use other tools.
It used to remove DRM (back when it relied on the ConvertLIT executable).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #94
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
<snip>e.g. buying them in LIT instead, with the intent of stripping the DRM and converting so one could read them on either the Kindle or the Sony PRS (or some other system), but that wasn't the question mdibella was asking.
Yes, but that wasn't the question that I was replying to. Perhaps you didn't read the full thread or didn't read the quote I had in my comment which I was responding to. Ricky M was saying that she would like to see a tool that will convert FROM lrf TO mobi. I was basically saying that I didn't see the need due to... (see my previous post.)

BOb
Old 10-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #95
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It used to remove DRM (back when it relied on the ConvertLIT executable).
Only accidentally, if you happened to put the keys.txt in the installation directory.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #96
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Only accidentally, if you happened to put the keys.txt in the installation directory.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 PM   #97
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I always wondered about this. Never tried it though.

BOb
Old 10-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #98
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Once again.. since there is NO WAY to remove the DRM from an LRX (the encrypted file extension for a BBeB ebook). Having a way to convert from LRF to Mobi wouldn't help. If it is an unencrypted LRF the same ebooks is probably findable in the mobi format from the source. I haven't seen a place yet that provides LRF files that doesn't also have a txt or mobi format also.

BOb
Oh, I see what you are saying .... if it is from the Sony store, then it must be LRX and not LRF, in which case your can't remove the DRM anyway, so no point in trying to convert it.

However, is there anywhere to purchase books that are in LRF format?? Or is the only availability LRX??

Maybe that's a good reason to get a Kindle. Not all books from Kindle are in Topaz format, so those are not as much of a problem with respect to the DRM anyway.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #99
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
However, is there anywhere to purchase books that are in LRF format?? Or is the only availability LRX??

Yes... but like I said, most of the places where you can buy an LRF eBook you can also get the Mobi version. Like fictionwise multi-format, Baen, Webscriptions, Jordansbooks, etc. So there would be no need to convert the LRF to mobi. Because if they are selling LRF it is by definition DRM free. In the case you are buying a DRM free ebook that you want in LRF and Mobi and the store only allows you to d/l one formate you are better off getting the Mobi and converting it to LRF, since the tool exists.

BOb
Old 10-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #100
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:

Yes... but like I said, most of the places where you can buy an LRF eBook you can also get the Mobi version. Like fictionwise multi-format, Baen, Webscriptions, Jordansbooks, etc. So there would be no need to convert the LRF to mobi. Because if they are selling LRF it is by definition DRM free. In the case you are buying a DRM free ebook that you want in LRF and Mobi and the store only allows you to d/l one formate you are better off getting the Mobi and converting it to LRF, since the tool exists.

BOb
Ah well, then forget I said anything ... although, there are some books that are ONLY available in LRF (and not Mobi) at those sites, and I would like to be able to read them on my Kindle .... but that ain't gonna happen until there is an LRF to Mobi converter.

So, boo freakin hoo ... I guess I just won't be able to read those books. Dammit.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 PM   #101
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm there's an lrf2epub converter on these forums search for lrftools
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #102
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Umm there's an lrf2epub converter on these forums search for lrftools
That's lovely. I'll keep that in mind if and when the Kindle can read epub.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #103
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

You can open ePub in Stanza and export it to Kindle...

BOb
Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #104
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:

MobiDesktop 6.2 converts from epub.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #105
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
You can open ePub in Stanza and export it to Kindle...

BOb
I've found Mobipocket Reader to do a better conversion of ePub files to Mobi than Stanza at this point.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote