Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #61
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Ladies&Gentlemen

I am beginning to believe that it is NOT a fake kindle 2.
Accordingly to sirmaru's topic over here(which has a link to a source I am inclined to trust....):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30162

I am speechless.

However, last time people were saying it is ugly but look how many bought it and actually are happy with it, so I don't think anymore it is a blunder on Amazon's side. I believe they are aiming to a certain group of people who would buy it for all the pros it offers in comparison with other readers out there.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #62
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Don't be concerned. Sirmaru's post linked to CNet. CNet is relying on the same pictures from the exact same source that we have here. They don't have anymore info than we do.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #63
andres_avila
andres_avila began at the beginning.

Device: none
Oh, come on! That smells like a fake from a mile away, trust me I'm a Mac user and you wouldn't believe how many people do "mockups" of ipods and stuff and try to pass them as the real deal...

I'm a non-believer of this Kindle 2, who's with me?
andres_avila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #64
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
I'm afraid that I'm inclined to think that the photos are real. I think we may be seeing a lot of people hoping it's not real and saying that it must be a fake.

I work in Photoshop everyday for my job (graphic artist), so sure, it could be a fake set up, but based on the lighting, placement, color, etc, I don't think it's a Photoshop fake.

Now it may be an early prototype or something, but I have a feeling that it's an actual real world device that someone took a photo of. Maybe a fake real world device (plastic, mock-up, prototype, whatever) but it exists.

I think that the real Kindle 2.0 will look very similar to these pics. Also in the world of pranking, I would think that pranking an ebook device would be pretty low on the list of priorties for someone trying to make a name for themselves.

I just hope that it's not really bigger than the current Kindle like it appears to be in they pics and specs. And if the take away the battery changing option, then that seems a step backward as well.

If this is the real deal, I probably don't see myself updating unless you can change fonts. My biggest issue with my Kindle is I HATE the font they use--I think it's called "Caecilia." I like the Cybook idea of being able to switch out the fonts.

So yeah, I personally think we are sorta doomed to see something like this. But then again, I hope I'm totally wrong and this IS a big prank because I think it's uglier than the current Kindle. I was one of the few that didn't think the current one was ugly, but the Kindle 2 version is a different beast.

Last edited by tsgreer; 10-06-2008 at 12:57 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #65
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
That case looks prototype to me. They obviously have gone to great effort to make the Kindle 1.0 very comfortable. The plastics are very pleasant to the touch. The back has a more grippy texture. The button position is way more ergonomic. It was a controversial design already but it seems they made the decisions they made (except for the color) with the feel of the device in mind. I don't see why they would make a less ergonomic version with no real improvements. The plastic on the front looks like the type that leaves fingerprints and makes your hands clammy and the metal back (common on prototypes) is likely more expensive in my experience than the plastic back the Kindle shipped with in addition to being less comfortable in the hands.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #66
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If your wife is considering the current Kindle for the convenience of the store, what does it matter what Kindle 2.0 looks like? Kindle 1.0 will still have the same convenience (and maybe a software upgrade).
Even though she'll want to access the store, she isn't going to shell out $400 for something that looks like it was designed by an 11 year old.

If older Kindles are still available when we're ready to purchase we'll look at those.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #67
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Even though she'll want to access the store, she isn't going to shell out $400 for something that looks like it was designed by an 11 year old.

If older Kindles are still available when we're ready to purchase we'll look at those.
I see, you're waiting for something (?) and don't want to purchase a $360 Kindle now. There will always be a Kindle 1.0 available even if it's via eBay from those who choose to upgrade and not keep the older version.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #68
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Yah know ..... it doesn't matter to me one way or the other whether it's a fake or not.

I like the way my Kindle looks and works. I am absolutely happy with the Kindle just as it is.

If those photos are of a fake Kindle 2.0, then I don't care because I wouldn't be purchasing that product anyway. If they are not a fake, then I'm still not purchasing it, because again ... I like the look and the features of the product I have.

I've seen some pretty idiotic statements ... like "Sony wins" bantered about. It's not a game, nobody "wins" or "loses." People purchase the type of reader that they like, and that's pretty much it.

If you don't like the Kindle, or don't like the price ... then for heaven's sake don't buy one and stop carping about it. Go purchase something else, or sit on your hands and wait until someone produces a product that you like.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #69
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andres_avila View Post
I'm a non-believer of this Kindle 2, who's with me?
I was a non-believer in the leaked Kindle "1" pictures, and was wrong there. So even though I'm not inclined to believe this is the new Kindle, I really shouldn't "vote."
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #70
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I've seen some pretty idiotic statements ... like "Sony wins" bantered about. It's not a game, nobody "wins" or "loses." People purchase the type of reader that they like, and that's pretty much it.
It's nice to see a voice of reason. Sometimes people just throw out these sound bits which have not relevance to pragmatism and reality.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 10-13-2008 at 10:11 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #71
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Only explanation I can come up with if this the "next" big thing from Amazon:

For the masses to adopt a "standard", eReaders need to become more affordable to the masses. Perhaps dropping the removable battery, SD card, case, swtiches, etc...might mean that is the direction Amazon is headed?

If this got the e-reader price point below $200 (a stretch I know), it may not be so crazy after all.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #72
ciucca
ciucca began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Perhaps Amazon and Jeff Bezos leaked these pictures on purpose. Maybe they see that sales of the kindle are slipping due to people waiting for the next version. So they leak pictures that are sure to turn people off. Betting potential purchasers waiting on the sidelines for V2, decide to say "oh well I might as well not wait and buy the Kindle now", like me.

It would be a pretty smart business move especially if the new version will not be available until after the holidays.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #73
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post
It would be a pretty smart business move especially if the new version will not be available until after the holidays.
Businesses just don't have the time and resources to do crap like that. We barely have enough time and people to do the things we do want to do. Do you work for a large company?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #74
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Perhaps Amazon and Jeff Bezos leaked these pictures on purpose. Maybe they see that sales of the kindle are slipping due to people waiting for the next version. So they leak pictures that are sure to turn people off. Betting potential purchasers waiting on the sidelines for V2, decide to say "oh well I might as well not wait and buy the Kindle now", like me.

That strategy would seem more likely to nudge people towards Sony.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #75
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:

KInd of a dopey way to run a multi-million dollar business, however, so I rather doubt it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote