Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #286
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_intro View Post
I was speaking of my experience only. Three days is what it says.
The libraries in my neck of the woods do that too. They send me the email that it's available to me and I have three days to download it before they let it go to the next person on the waiting list.

I'm currently 7th waiting for We Need to Talk About Kevin. I was going to buy it but one of my libraries had it. I like free better.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #287
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
I got an e-mail this morning saying my book was available. I logged in to my Library account on the T1, selected My Waiting List, added the book to my basket, checked out, downloaded and it's now sitting in my New Books collection.

Easy.
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 AM   #288
tennoel
Enthusiast
tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-300
my library also gives 3 days from notification to check it out.
tennoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #289
Bear 100
Enthusiast
Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony T1
Larger library

My Sony T1 is on the way. I checked out our local county library which does have e-book lending program via overdrive. Unfortunately the selection is very limited. I am asking the library to up the content, but I guess that will take a while.

How do I join a larger library system? Do I have to visit them in a city and apply? Can my local library facilitate that? Is this something I can do via the internet?

I am a big reader, buying all the books would kill me. I am already working through the books on MobileRead, thanks to all for the effort! Are there are sites to go?

I really would also like to be able to trade books with others, much as I do now with hardcover. Since it is electronic and there is no shipping this should allow me to expand to a very large universe. Does something like this exist?

Point a new user in the right direction.
Bear 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #290
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post

Point a new user in the right direction.
Philadelphia Free Library:

http://libwww.freelibrary.org/register/getcard1.cfm

If you do search on this sight, you should find a lot of positive comments.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #291
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Bear100 - the answer to much of that also depends on what country you're in. As to lending to others, not really because of the DRM. Can't do that. That's a downside to ebooks unless you remove the DRM and then you're messing around with copyright infringement if you make copies of the file to give to others. Not a good thing.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #292
Bear 100
Enthusiast
Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Bear 100 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Philadelphia Free Library:

http://libwww.freelibrary.org/register/getcard1.cfm

If you do search on this sight, you should find a lot of positive comments.
Thanks for the quick reply, applied for Philadelphia. Even with the Philadelphia library, access is limited to several thousand books versus the huge physical selection. I had thought that e-Books were more prevalent.

I also noticed an interesting trend:
- Classics are widely available
- Newly released publications are both book and e-book format
- Some authors have their entire set of publications as e-book
- BUT publications that are more 10 to 15 years old but not yet classics or written by authors that not aggressive with e versions; are to a large extent not available.

Any other places to try?
Bear 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #293
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Check our wiki. It has all sort of things about various Libraries and how to subscribe to some when they are not local. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #294
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
Miracle time in Idaho! Our local library is now on Overdrive! There were three things that I thought we would NEVER get - HDTV, 40 degree weather in January, and overdrive and now we have them all...
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #295
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
My sister's going to school in Idaho and was talking about the unseasonable weather. I may have laughed at her.

Anyway, congrats about Overdrive in your town. Just remember, it's good to be vocal about how much you like it so maybe they will try to commit even more resources to it next year.

FYI peeps, they're offering overdrive in Mesquite, TX. I think that anyone who lives in the State of Texas is eligible to get a library card and it's good for 3 years. The thing is that I think you also need to physically go to the library to get it. I'm going to see about getting cards for the grandparents tomorrow and will see how that goes.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #296
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
They finally added Overdrive for libraries in Austin Texas. (FINALLY... before the nearest library listed was in San Antonio). You do have to have a library card for at least one branch of the APL. Getting a card is easy and free but you do need to show up with the form filled out (you can download that from online) and proof that you live in town (drivers license generally does the trick). Once you have a card (which you get the same day you turn up with the paperwork) you can go online and set up an account there and check out books instantly that way.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #297
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Oh - you mean 40° Farenheit - you almost had me there. We've had 8° C (46° F) twice this February in Toronto - which looks to be about the same as Iowa's northern border. It's sure not a typical winter anywhere, I guess. Better this than in Europe, though.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #298
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
One thing I noticed was that the little clock icon with the days lending period does not show when you look at your library book book in a collection list , it only shows up in the main books list.. a pity because I created a collection called Library thinking it would allow me to manage the library books better" foiled by Sony again!!!!) lol
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #299
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I've checked around, but haven't yet found a library in the UK that supports e-books (and yes, i've checked overdrive).

But I figure, part of the problem was the unavailability of a dedicated e-book reader until recently. And Library's' are run by local council's =Government =Glacier slow

There are over 60 now. Many of them are listed in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120523

Bear in mind that if Kindles don't work with UK libraries, but as you're posting in a Sony forum, I imagine that won't be a problem!
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:32 AM   #300
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Apologies if this has been asked an answered, but my poor attempts at searching didn't help.

I recently purchased a PRS-T1 and updated the firmware. When I select the 'Public Library' app it takes me to Overdrive (instead of working how Sony claims)... and the page is generally crap. To access my local site from there requires a search for my area, selecting a branch on a buggy map, blah blah blah. EVERY. TIME.

The point being my library system is Overdrive based, but frankly it was easier just to type in the URL manually and then bookmark it.

Is it possible to edit the URL associated with the "Public Library" app button to something more useful or am I stuck just going to the browser and pulling my bookmark?
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote