Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #166
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by baymktg View Post
I have only been enjoying my NYPL card since May. I hope they won't cancel the card before the expiration date of May, 2010 ??? Someone, please tell me, is this happening? Are cards being cancelled prior to their expiration or are cards simply not being renewed? This card has been wonderful since I'm an ex-pat living in Costa Rica.
My D.C. card was taken away after only a couple of months but they had never charged me for it as I had expected. This happened to others, I think.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #167
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
My D.C. card was taken away after only a couple of months but they had never charged me for it as I had expected. This happened to others, I think.

Yup--same thing happened to me. I applied for a DC library card on their website--clearly indicating I was a non-resident. (Per their web site, they allow non-resident cards for a fee but didn't specify the fee.) They sent me a valid card number via e-mail right after I applied, but didn't mention anything about a fee.

About a month and a half or so later, my card stopped working, so I gave them a call, figuring they could tell me what their fee was and how I could pay it. At that time, they simply reactivated my card and still didn't charge a fee.

A few months after that my card number stopped working again--I'm assuming they went through their database at that time and de-activated all non-resident cards. I haven't called back, as now I have more than enough libraries that I can access--being a resident of California does have certain advantages!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #168
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
I think I understand the issue you've been having with DC's library. You can get a temporary (30-day) online membership card/number. During that time, you'll have to go in person to one of their branches to "validate" the card and pay the non-resident fee for it to remain valid. Then it's good for 3 years until you renew it again. I hope this helps!
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #169
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishMom View Post
I think I understand the issue you've been having with DC's library. You can get a temporary (30-day) online membership card/number. During that time, you'll have to go in person to one of their branches to "validate" the card and pay the non-resident fee for it to remain valid. Then it's good for 3 years until you renew it again. I hope this helps!
Aha. That could explain it. Thank you, BookishMom.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #170
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I sent an email to NYPL to ask if existing out-of-state cardholders could be "grandfathered" in and able to renew their cards. Unfortunately, no out of state cards will be renewed. They will allow them to run the full 12-months from date of purchase or last renewal, but non-residents of NY won't be able to take advantage of the wonderful NYPL resources once their current cards expire.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #171
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
With DC and New York now out of the picture, can anyone recommend another library for an out-of-stater? I have a bunch of relatives in Northern Ohio but so far I haven't been able to convince any of them to lend me their library card numbers...

I have tried email exchanges with my local library but they just don't seem to get it. I have even provided links to NYPL, clevnet, and the Washington DC libraries but they still keep pointing to our very limited ebooks that they have contracted through netlibrary (all do it yourself type books and none can be checked out).
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #172
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGott View Post
With DC and New York now out of the picture, can anyone recommend another library for an out-of-stater? I have a bunch of relatives in Northern Ohio but so far I haven't been able to convince any of them to lend me their library card numbers...
Adam, DC isn't out of the picture - you'd just need to go in person to get it. Once you do, it lasts 3 years, so that's an option if you travel to DC in the future. In the meantime, check out this website for participating libraries: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBoo...Limited_Access

It seems that Hawaii and New Orleans offers out-of-state cards, but I don't know if you have to go in person or not.

Hope this helps!
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #173
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Boston Public Library used to offer out of state cards, but apparently they don't anymore, either.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #174
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Have we ever figured out which library system offers the most E-books?

I know that the San Francisco public library's pickings are pretty slim. At last count they had only 1004 E-books in the Fiction category.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #175
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Boston Public Library used to offer out of state cards, but apparently they don't anymore, either.
BPL used to add new books every 2-3 weeks...now its probably been 2 months since they've added anything. I'm hoping they haven't given up on it and its just a matter of not having staff to cover over the summer
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #176
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
BPL used to add new books every 2-3 weeks...now its probably been 2 months since they've added anything. I'm hoping they haven't given up on it and its just a matter of not having staff to cover over the summer
Because of the economic climate, library budgets are being slashed left and right. In Ohio, for example, state funding for libraries was cut 31%. This has undoubtedly led to cuts in the materials budget, which means new ebook purchases may suffer.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #177
AdamGott
Connoisseur
AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AdamGott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle/iPad
It looks like Hawaii still offers an out of state card ($25 for FIVE years!). Has anyone been successful in obtaining one?
AdamGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #178
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I've noticed this and it's not a good thing. Next time I go to the main branch, I will ask about to what is going on. And the last time they got a lot of eBooks, they were Chinese eBooks which are totally useless and a huge waste of money.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:13 AM   #179
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Swedish libraries is constantly adding new books to their e-book sections.

The only bad news is that they doesn't have a large selection of foreign books in the original language. Which really makes me kind of sad.

A book translated to swedish from english usually looses a lot of the nuances to the prose.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #180
freecia
Enthusiast
freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3 3g+wifi, kindle 2, kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Have we ever figured out which library system offers the most E-books?

I know that the San Francisco public library's pickings are pretty slim. At last count they had only 1004 E-books in the Fiction category.
If you're local to the SF bay the San Jose library system also offers a decent selection. Not on par with NYPL but still a free library card. You'll need to go in person to complete registration to get the card.

As a side note, I know some people who'd be delighted to get eBooks in Chinese. Imported books are rather expensive to buy in specialty stores and of course shipping them overseas can be slow and costly, since you need to buy from stores that do international shipping. I imagine this is true for other languages as well.

Last edited by freecia; 08-27-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: updated how to complete lib. card registration
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote