Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
software for writing books

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has used the various software which help with writing books such as story weaver and if so how did they got on? Also where to get the software for free.
Thanks
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
MobileRead does not condone the use of pirated software.

Any links will be immediately deleted.

Thank you for your understanding, and please read our Posting Guidelines.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I've used yWriter extensively, the creator's even a member here. It's free, legal, and an excellent piece of software.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
For my poems, I use EditPadLite, which is free.

http://www.editpadlite.com/

If I start writing stories, likley I will use the Atlantis word processor. Link in these forums from the folks who wrote it.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
If you are looking for a good, free app to help you manage novels with lots of scenes and characters, yWriter 5 (written by science fiction author Simon Haynes) does the job admirably.

If you keep it all in your head, OpenOffice.org is an exceptional office suite.

If you type like a fiend and have a gaggle of trained monkeys to clean up your output, Notepad works in a pinch.

Note: Being a writer, I tend to go for cheap or free. The commercial solutions may be better... or they may not. The most important thing is for you to be comfortable enough with whatever software you use that you don't waste your productivity thinking about the software. Save your energy, so that you can focus on your writing.

- M.

Last edited by Vintage Season; 07-23-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I find all the boxes in yWriter a bit confusing. Maybe it suits sci-fi and fantasy writers. I prefer a combination of Word's Outline function and Write or Die. For brainstorming ideas, Papel is quite useful.
I've tried StoryWeaver (you can get a free demo with limited function) and found it a bit silly. Once you've created characters you have to swap their genders and ages etc. Some of the results are interesting, others ridiculous. I've never worked through the entire program because there comes a point when you just don't need it anymore.
There are masses of legal freebies to try, also lots of demos. It really depends what function you want the software to perform.

Forgot to mention my favourite idea generator: mikkomatrix. I've customised mine, adding lots of new situations and objects. This is a small, free program.

Last edited by BookCat; 07-18-2010 at 04:56 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 AM   #7
MeiLin
professional daydreamer
MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you're a Mac user, I cannot recommend Scrivener enough. There is a trial version, but the software itself isn't too expensive. It's the best money I ever spent, myself. http://www.literatureandlatte.com/
MeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
<3 Scrivener.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
I use OpenOffice Writer for all my writing. I don't need fancy software to keep track of stuff. I simply keep a well detailed notes file and a well ordered manuscript and I'm fine.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:01 AM   #10
MeiLin
professional daydreamer
MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeiLin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used OpenOffice for a long, long time. The main reason I moved to Scrivener is project management. I run one webserial ("Scryer's Gulch") and one novel series ("An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom"). The first is open-ended, and the second is a series of at least four novels and possibly more. Without Scrivener, I just couldn't keep track of everything.
MeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #11
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
<3 Scrivener.
ditto
Redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Am I weird because I write in EditPlus?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Not at all, World Walker.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
I've been very happy with WriteWay Pro (www.writewaypro.com), which I think is pretty similar to yWriter, but is not free. It's fifty or sixty bucks for the Pro version, I think. One feature it does not have, though, that I would like, is "smart quotes". WriteWay only has the neutral quotes, and I'd really like to have the lefties and righties at my fingertips while I'm composing, so I don't have to worry about them later. Does anybody know if yWriter offers that feature?

Thanks,
Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
TLHaddix
Author, wife, reader.
TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TLHaddix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I downloaded all the different writer apps over the past few weeks and I ended up going with something I already have - OneNote. I liked some of the features of all the writer apps, but not enough of any one that I thought I'd spend upwards of $40 on it. I basically just needed a place to organize my notes. One note seems to be working well for that purpose so far. Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to.
TLHaddix is offline   Reply With Quote