Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #31
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I use my iPad Air while my husband uses his Sony 650 with the lighted case. He loves his Sony. I tried to get him to let me upgrade him to a Kindle PW2 but nooooo. I simply side load the Sony with Calibre.

For me, the iPad lets me check email, look up words (quickly), and check my regular websites all in one. Yeah, I have a bit of a hard time reading outside so I have to put the brightness up all the way. I use the Calibre server to cruise my library and download new books.

To each is own.

I don't see e-ink going away unless they can't make it faster and more integrated for internet/web/mail.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #32
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
@Atunah. I agree. If e-ink or its equivalent stopped being available, id have to go back to paper. I cannot read at length on LCD.
Also I have steered clear of a lighted screen and use a previous gen reader the nook str. The tech just isnt there for me to upgrade.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #33
chromedome
Enthusiast
chromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of itchromedome has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Voyage, PW2, Kobo Glo (KK, Sony PRS600)
Exclamation I don't think tablets and phones replace e-ink at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Smartphones and tablets perform the same function as e-ink readers but do more. Plus, there's not much you can you to improve a machine whose basic function is only to display text. So I think it's only a matter of time before e-ink dies out and join other gadgets in tech heaven.

I have a tablet and an ultra modern up-to-date powerful quad core smartphone. I have the Kindle and Kobo apps on both too, and read books on neither.

The e-ink of my Kobo Glo is just so much more pleasurable to read on than the LCD and Amoled screens of tablets and phones. I haven't found a tablet yet that allows me to read comfortably on the beach or in the park at lunchtime in broad daylight.

Like another poster here, I have a Kobo Glo and it's technology is good enough. I don't feel compelled to update to the Aura, although I, might update to an e-reader that has a few subtle improvements that make sense to me. One of those, is a replaceable battery. Perhaps, a solar receptive case that will charge my device for me while it sits on the desk. How, about that combined with the design of the current Kobo Aura and a slightly whiter screen with a bit more contrast. I think e-ink and associated devices have a way to go yet.

I'm not sure I'm bothered about colour, I read my magazines on my tablet because that's what it's suited to. I don't want an always connected device for reading books on, because I'd keep flipping to e-mails and web-pages and forums like this. The nice thing about a dedicated reading device like the current e-ink products are that they give me that little bit of technological isolation required to let me relax and enjoy.

Funny thing is, I know quite a few people now that at one point or another felt compelled to tell me how great there new tablet is/was and that their old e-reader is now ancient history. A few months later, a number of them have re-purchased an e-reader when the prospect of a week or two's break in the sunshine with a tablet didn't seem all that appealing and, strangely, neither did a bag full of p-books.

YMMV as they say.

Greg
chromedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #34
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
I don't think that's a fair comparison...I think a better analogy is what happened to 8track, cassette tapes, VHS, etc.
I've got a better comparison for you: MiniDiscs (coincidentally also pushed, and killed, mainly by Sony)! Great technology, but there were other technologies that came out to usurp it, and that were even MORE convenient. It was a bit of a "stop-gap" technology, destined to be developed upon and then become obsolete.

Having said that, we still haven't gotten rid of our MD's (it's a nostalgia thing) and they still work! Maybe eReaders will have a similar fate.

P.S. I will still choose eInk to read on, versus an LCD/Tablet screen ANY day! That is... if I have my eReader with me. But I do agree that they need to be more portable (the Kobo Mini is perfect but no one is making small ones now!).
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #35
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
E Ink (the company making most of the screens) is at the mercy of the people making the readers.
There's no way to know for sure, but I'm thinking this is the most probable explanation. eInk needs Amazon more than Amazon needs eInk, so Amazon can demand ever-lower prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Every time I read stories about e-ink or its readers like this, I go into a emotional temporary non rational melt down. I go into moments of panic, I try to figure out how I could possibly stock up on kindle readers, without compromising batteries. I imagine 5 years from now when I might come to a point where my joy of reading ends because of inability to have a device I can use to do so.
I think there are replacement batteries sold for all models except the basic no-keyboard, non-touch models.

Also encouraging is that 6 1/2 years after the introduction of the original Kindle, Amazon is still selling them, in the US, in Like New (which, in my experience, means indistinguishable from new) condition:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Same for the Kindle 2:

Same for the Kindle Keyboard:

So, for those of us who don't mind used, I think we are safe for at least a couple decades.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #36
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Here, here, Greg!! I couldn't have worded that benefit better myself. "Technological isolation"...that is exactly what I try to have on my holidays. It's hard to suffer through "withdrawal" for some folks, but I find it is the only way to truly relax on vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
The nice thing about a dedicated reading device like the current e-ink products are that they give me that little bit of technological isolation required to let me relax and enjoy.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #37
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
IMO, no eInk reader has ever gotten a built-in light to work without seriously degrading the text. I know there are a lot of diehard Paperwhite and Glo fans out there who argue against that statement. That is until they pick up a Nexus 7.2 or an iPad mini Retina, then they finally see what clear, sharp, beautiful text really looks like, and thereafter their Paperwhites and Glos sit collecting dust on a shelf.
I won't argue with your perception but I will say that I believe most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I love tablets but I wouldn't use them for reading unless I had forgotten my reader at home.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #38
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I won't argue with your perception but I will say that I believe most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I love tablets but I wouldn't use them for reading unless I had forgotten my reader at home.
I can tell the difference but like you I prefer eink.

When I got my first tablet I thought how nice the kindle app appeared, and others like Aldiko etc. all work well and have nice bells and whistles.

Read a book and it was kind of a soso experience. Read another and it was a mind blowing relief to go back to my old PRS 600 with it's dim screen (ugly by today's standards)

Tablet didn't hurt my eyes and I could read faster on it, but for some reason it was not comfortable for my eyes. Going back to Eink was like changing from a tight pair of heels to old comfy runners.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #39
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
YMMV as they say.
That sums it up...

In the past I've always been a staunch eInk person, but I've now found I generally prefer to read on my Fire 8.9 HDX. I don't use the built in Kindle app much I generally use Moon+ or sometimes Mantano and the level of adjustment available (text color, spacing, etc., page background color...) combined with the use of Calibre Companion for library organization has made it my go to reader. I dug out my Aura HD the other day and in use it just feels clunky and not as user friendly when compared to the apps available for Android (Moon+, Mantano, CC, etc.) and iOS (Marvin, Kindle, etc). In the past I'd never have been able to read on a backlit LCD, but with the quality of modern LCD's and good brightness adjustment I find it very pleasing. I'm glad I still have a couple of eInk readers and will definitely be taking one with me when I travel since I might spend some of my time reading outside.

As for eInk I find that for the most part I prefer my "old" Kindle Touch over my "new" Aura HD. Issues with Aura HD are what actually got me to try a tablet again.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-31-2014 at 08:53 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 PM   #40
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I do agree that incremental (or lack of "must have" changes) and low resale value has contributed to the slowing market - one that had a limited audience to begin with. A couple of years ago, with each new release one would see many sale posts for the previous model from those looking to upgrade. That isn't the case anymore. How many used PW 1's do you see posted? So many more are either 1) hanging onto their devices longer and/or 2) giving away the used models rather than selling them.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 PM   #41
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I haven't read every post, but I think one reason is most people who want one already have one and often don't buy a new one unless it's a much improved model or their old one wears out/breaks. They still aren't as cheap as a single paperback book, though the price has gone down in recent years. Even $60.00 can be a big investment just for the ereader itself when the economy isn't the best and there are other things that are needs that have to be taken care of 1st. Things like groceries, the rent, etc.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 PM   #42
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Ink-based reading is not going anywhere soon, whether it be paper or e-ink.

They aren't going to invent an entirely new technology specifically for reading books that is so well received that it gives birth to an entirely new industry, only to ditch it a few years later for the old technology that was originally passed over, just because it now shows cat videos. Eink is here to stay a while. People aren't buying new ones every year because it's not that kind of product. Everyone is looking at them as if they're personal computing devices. They barely even qualify as electronics. It differs from paper books mostly in that the ink can move. It doesn't even belong in a conversation about tablets or phones.

In the context of books, LCD was the 8-track, here; the technology that was not good enough. Nobody wanted to read books on LCD, and they still don't, because burning a novel into your eyeballs at 60 frames per second is garbage, anathema to the majority of people who actually read books as a pastime. edit: bein a little bombastic for fun; no disrespect intended.

Just IMHO. I still do it once in a while on my iPad lol.

How's everyone doing this fine evening/day?

Last edited by OtterBooks; 04-01-2014 at 02:25 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #43
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
IMO, the main reason they are experiencing double digit decline is because they rarely come up with anything other than incremental spec bumps. The world passed by those guys long ago and now they are fading in our rear view mirrors.

+1. Can anyone really see a difference between carta and pearl without looking pretty hard at a side by side comparison?

LCD is improving way faster than eink. Either eink has hit the limit of the tech or they just don't have the money to invest in improving it. And since the tech is not improving, people are not buying. Vicious circle.

Plus, how many people read enough to warrant buying and carrying around a dedicated ereader? That may be their biggest problem.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #44
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
+1. Can anyone really see a difference between carta and pearl without looking pretty hard at a side by side comparison?

LCD is improving way faster than eink. Either eink has hit the limit of the tech or they just don't have the money to invest in improving it. And since the tech is not improving, people are not buying. Vicious circle.

Plus, how many people read enough to warrant buying and carrying around a dedicated ereader? That may be their biggest problem.
I don't like the Carta screen, it's too creamy for me. I prefer the blue/white of Pearl. I already have two lighted ereaders and 3 non lighted ereaders so I'm not ready to buy another without a very good reason.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #45
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Why would I buy a new one? The one I have works fine. There are no physical changes that it needs which is what most mean by an upgrade. It's like paper books, the concept of a upgrade is pretty meaningless. I never even bothered with changing to a touch screen or a light. The software could use some tweaking but other than better library management simpler is better. Eink is like bound paper to display print. That is all it needs to do and how much could that be improved? What's with the idea that everything needs constant "upgrades".
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote