Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
kobobooks.com doesn't give format anymore?

I wanted to buy a book from kobobooks.com today, but the format was not given anywhere on the page, so I didn't want to risk buying it. I looked up a book I bought just a few days ago and see the format there but I can't find a format on anything I search for. I searched for Hugh Howey because I know he's non drm epub, but didn't see the format there either.

Could someone look for this book and let me know if you see a format? I tried both Firefox and IE 10. Book is Mira Grant Feed.

I remember seeing a similar thread a few weeks ago and I searched but couldn't find it. I could see the format at the time, but whoever posted couldn't see it. I hope this isn't their new web page format.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
I'm still getting the old store format. I checked Mia Grant's Feed and it's Adobe DRM EPUB
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
I'm still getting the old store format. I checked Mia Grant's Feed and it's Adobe DRM EPUB
Thanks. What browser are you using?
Old 08-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There is some discussion of the changes here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218279
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216630
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks. Since I don't have a Kobo, I would not have thought to even look there.
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Thanks. What browser are you using?
FWIW, the old store still comes up for me on IE8
I get the new store on FF22.0 and on mobile devices.

I know I'll be buying far fewer books when I'm stuck with the new store only.
Well, my wallet might be happy
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
FWIW, the old store still comes up for me on IE8
I get the new store on FF22.0 and on mobile devices.

I know I'll be buying far fewer books when I'm stuck with the new store only.
Well, my wallet might be happy
I just upgraded from IE 8 a week or two ago. I was finally able to start buying some books from Kobo again since they have been matching some prices since the publisher price fixing ended - if the prices are the same I buy from Kobo, but now I won't be buying. I don't like buying from Amazon, so I have been borrowing a lot and working on my TBR list.

I sent a question to Kobo help email about the format, but I bet I won't hear anything useful.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I posted this in the other thread, but it might be of interest here too...

In this blog post...
http://cafe.kobo.com/blog/kobo-ebook...autiful-design

They ask for folks to leave comments or to email feedback@kobo.com

Don't know if it'd do any good in getting them to make some changes or not, but might be worth a try.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

For an android device both Boat and Dolphin browsers still use the old site. Opera and Chrome have the new site. That top row of books scrolling is even more annoying on a mobile device to me.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I posted this in the other thread, but it might be of interest here too...

In this blog post...
http://cafe.kobo.com/blog/kobo-ebook...autiful-design

They ask for folks to leave comments or to email feedback@kobo.com

Don't know if it'd do any good in getting them to make some changes or not, but might be worth a try.
Beautiful design?!?!? I guess useful is not considered beautiful.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Beautiful design?!?!? I guess useful is not considered beautiful.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
My comment:

Quote:
Favourite? None. You've removed the info about type of ebook and DRM-status, and you haven't included the most demanded feature: a cart. You've remover the option for gift ecard. The search keeps on being "guess" more than search. The only real useful feature is showing if a title is eligible for promotional code.
I don't know if they'll approve it
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
My comment:
Like your comment. I posted something similar, we'll see if it appears.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I'm using Safari on a Mac, and see the new design (which looks a lot like Pinterest to me).

When I click on the link you provided, I don't see a format for the book. But if I add the free preview to my library, then I see Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB right under the author's name. (I see this in list view for all books in my library.) Hope that helps.

Quote:
I wanted to buy a book from kobobooks.com today, but the format was not given anywhere on the page, so I didn't want to risk buying it.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I've noticed that if I do a search, then along the left side of the book tiles, there is a choice that lets you see media types. I haven't seen anything that distinguishes between epub and pdf or if there are drm drm-fee options. My best guess is that this is a work in progress.

At the bottom of a book's page, there are icons for the kinds of devices one can use it on. Again--no distinction form PDF only or epub etc.

I just did a search on .pdf. The resulting tiles did indicate the format of the book. Some are shown as epub, others as pdf, still others as both.

Last edited by taming; 08-05-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: more info
taming is offline   Reply With Quote