Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #286
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgK View Post
Obviously I couldn't make myself understood

I want to sideload a new firmware to my KObo Touch and want to make sure I use the right file.
There are two of them: a file for "new" hardware and one for "old" hardware.
Unfortunately I cannot say if I've got an old or a new Kobo. How can I check which version of KObo Touch I purchased?

Regards
Georg
Do a factory reset. Once that has completed, connect your Kobo to a computer running the Kobo desktop app. It will see that your Kobo has an older firmware version and download the newest version that is available for your device. Once the sync has finished, DO NOT EJECT YOUR KOBO. Close the desktop application and take a look at the Kobo's internal drive in Windows Explorer or Finder (though Finder may need a tweak to show hidden directories). On the Kobo's internal drive, you will see a directory called .kobo. Open that directory and you will see a file called KoboRoot.tgz. Take careful note of the size of that file.

If the desktop app downloaded 2.31, you will see a KoboRoot.tgz file that is 69,113,998 bytes if you have an older Touch (the kobo3 firmware). If the file is 86,388,351 bytes, you have a new Touch and need the kobo4 (Glo, Mini, new Touch firmware).

If the file size is 69,116,850 (old Touch, kobo3) or 86,386,151 (new Touch, kobo4), your Kobo is being updated with 2.4.0 and you can save the information for the next firmware update.

In less exact terms, if KoboRoot.tgz file is smaller than 70MB, you have an old Touch, if KoboRoot.tgz is larger than 80MB, you have a new Touch.

You can then replace the KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum and the upgrade folder with the versions from the firmware you want to use before ejecting the Kobo and letting the upgrade run.

As I said, a slightly complex procedure but the only way I know to be certain that you have the correct firmware version without access to Kobo's servers.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #287
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJasi View Post
Hi George!
Here are some tips for you:

2. If you feel comfortable to open up your device, do it, and check if you find an internal microSD card on board. The older hardwares doesn't contain it, just the newer ones.
I've seen several reports that some of the units using the old Touch firmware contain a uSD card.

Regards,
David
Advert
Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #288
timss
timss began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJasi View Post
Hi George!

3. This is the most important: if you can find a microSD in it, TAKE A BACKUP OF IT!! BEFORE YOU TRY TO SIDELOAD ANY FIRMWARE! I mean take an image file of the whole card, so that in the future you can revive your Kobo relatively easily if you brick it...
There are several of us in this forum who has bricked their reader by sideloading a firmware on it.. Check this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201132
I have a touch I bought last July which has a microSD card inside. Kobo desktop updated it to 2.31, which was a disaster. I sideloaded firmware 2.15 for the old touch on it, and it works just fine.
timss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #289
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Apparently there's a new firmware out 2.5.

Anyone got a link?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #290
DNSB
Bibliophagist

2.5.0 download links

The old Touch firmware is at:

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.5.0.zip

The Glo/Mini/new Touch is at:

Now if they has used gocanucksgo....

Edit: corrected second URL -- copied the kobo3 URL twice.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-16-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #291
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Regards,
David
Watch out: the second link is the same as the first! the "kobo3" part should be "kobo4".
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #292
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
Watch out: the second link is the same as the first! the "kobo3" part should be "kobo4".
Thanks for the quick eyes. I've corrected the link in my message.

Regards,
David
Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #293
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:

Edit: corrected second URL -- copied the kobo3 URL twice.

Regards,
David
Thanks for the link
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #294
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
There should be a solitaire game in 2.5.0. Can anyone confirm what it's like?
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #295
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
can't see any solitaire in my Mini (I checked under "extras").
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #296
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
It's a lot like Sudoku.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #297
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
It's a lot like Sudoku.
i thought it would be some card game
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #298
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Both Touch and Glo show only Chess, Sketch Pad, Sudoku and Web Browser under extras.

Regards,
David
Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #299
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Quote:
Both Touch and Glo show only Chess, Sketch Pad, Sudoku and Web Browser under extras.
Files are there; I guess they're not implemented or are on the new Kobo device coming out. I haven't had time to delve much into it.

openScribble()
openBrowser()
openSolitaire()
openSudoku()
openChess()
openBoggle()

Have fun and challenge yourself with these bonus features.
Please note that they're not officially supported by Kobo

CHESS
Take on your eReader in the classic game of strategy and skill

SOLITAIRE
Play classic solitaire games like Klondike, Spider, and Freecell

WORD SCRAMBLE
Find words in a 4x4 grid

SKETCH PAD
Discover your inner artist or make notes and then save your creation in your Library

SUDOKU
Try your wits with this logic-based number puzzle

WEB BROWSER
Take the on-ramp to the information superhighway, right on your eReader.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #300
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I have just seen from a Kobo person:

Quote:
is for Kobo Touch (N905, N905B Models)
Quote:
is for Kobo Touch Low Cost (N905C Model), Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Someone seems to be having fun with the release directory names.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote