Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #31
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Eeehhh.

Smaller page turn bars are good, the rest not so good. Is it April Fool's Day?
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #32
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I don't think it is uglier, just more of the same oddness. I doubt that this is the real thing, however it wouldn't surprise me if it is. Something also tells me that it won't be cheaper and that is a shame. Instead of revamp I woud like to see Amazon come up with cheaper prices and lower end models to get more people to at least try e-books.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #33
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This one could have a touch-screen couldn't it. The "ninja" might have avoided talking about that touch-screen functionality on purpose.

So you have both the joystick and a touch-screen with stylus for new and better navigation.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #34
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No sale here.

Man, I just wish Amazon would offer the e-books for any device, and forget the Kindle. If this is the best design-work they can do, they'd be better off buying someone else's reader and rebranding it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #35
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
So you have both the joystick and a touch-screen with stylus for new and better navigation.
If it had a touchscreen it is highly unlikely to also have a joystick. The joystick increases the odds of a prank, because the scroll wheel was successful and did not require screen updates but the joystick presumably requires (partial) screen updates to indicate the cursor location. On the other hand a joystick is probably cheaper than the scroll wheel.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Ok, I think I've finally figured it out:

Very simply, both units are early prototypes, but Amazon decided to go with the other unit.

Problem solved - and NO soup for you.

NEXT!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #37
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
That was my guess,too, Dr. Drib. There's nothing 2.0 about this.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #38
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There seem to be a few blurred bits in some of the images.

- Something on the back of the Kindle in this image.
- Something below "Page 1 of 1" on any pictures showing the front like here and here.

Could really read "My Fake Kindle" or maybe identifying info on who this Kindle prototype was assigned to.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #39
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
If there are going to be hundreds of thousands more books available to read on it, what's so ugly about it? (yeah, I know about the Sony promise; I only hope it becomes reality)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #40
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
If there are going to be hundreds of thousands more books available to read on it, what's so ugly about it? (yeah, I know about the Sony promise; I only hope it becomes reality)
When I say ugly, I don't really mean it is ugly vs. beautiful.
I put a bit different meaning into it.
It has huge margins around the screen.
It is white.
It has huge keyboard.

All of this makes it unacceptable gadget for reading books. So, I don't care how many books would be available on this particular gadget if when I read a book I hold in my hand something so monstrous. When I hold in my hands Sony Reader, I hold something that is almost like a printed book and that is what I need.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #41
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
It is white.
It has huge keyboard.

All of this makes it unacceptable gadget for reading books. So, I don't care how many books would be available on this particular gadget if when I read a book I hold in my hand something so monstrous. When I hold in my hands Sony Reader, I hold something that is almost like a printed book and that is what I need.
Okay, I completely agree with you, astra. (but i still want all those books from the Kindling Store at Amazon)

And I've learned that white really is a poor choice. I thought I'd buy the silver Sony when I upgraded to the 505 recently but in the store I compared the silver and "blue" and the dark blue was hands down easier to read. I was surprised. But I think you guys have been saying that here for months now. Perhaps I should listen next time.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #42
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
It is white.
It has huge keyboard.

I still want the keyboard, but other than that I agree with you completely.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #43
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
It's ugly. it's too big. It's looks like some kind of cheap "magic drawing tablet" for children.

My guess is that it's a fake, probably released by the Sony marketing department to push PRS-700 sales.
Or else Amazon's kindle designer is a secret undercover Astrak agent on a mission to sabotage their design effort.

Last edited by Faenad; 10-04-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #44
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
My guess is that it's a fake, probably released by the Sony marketing department to push PRS-700 sales.
Or else Amazon's kindle designer is a secret undercover Astrak agent on a mission to sabotage their design effort.
I'd buy that, if not for Kindle #1.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #45
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
It's ugly. it's too big. It's looks like some kind of cheap "magic drawing tablet" for children.

Me? I have no spies/agents anywhere...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote