Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
alogston
alogston began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Multiple ebook formats on Droid

Pardon the long, involved question, but I'm considering jumping from iPad to Droid. I have a large number of ebooks in various formats, and I want them all arranged in one location by category, not each format in its separate app. On the iPad, I was able to do this with the app GoodReader, which although it only read .pdf files itself, had an "Open in" option so I could open, say, a .mobi book in the appropriate app. On Windows, of course, I can do the organization right in the directory, specify an association for a file type and it'll open in the appropriate program.

How does this work on a Droid device? Can I organize my ebooks in the directories themselves and open them using associations, as in Windows, or can anybody recommend an app similar to Goodreader, where I can store and organize ALL of my 2,000-odd ebooks and open them in the appropriate app?
alogston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by alogston View Post
How does this work on a Droid device? Can I organize my ebooks in the directories themselves and open them using associations, as in Windows?
Yes.

If you have multiple apps that can read a particular format you will be offered the list of apps to pick from (and you can also set an app as the default for that format by ticking a checkbox at the bottom of the list). Once a default is set the next time you choose a file of that format it will open straight into the app.

You can reset the defaults from the device Settings menu.

If you have no app that can read the file you'll be notified, with a prompt to go and download one.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 11-21-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Yes.

If you have multiple apps that can read a particular format you will be offered the list of apps to pick from (and you can also set an app as the default for that format by ticking a checkbox at the bottom of the list). Once a default is set the next time you choose a file of that format it will open straight into the app.

You can reset the defaults from the device Settings menu.

If you have no app that can read the file you'll be notified, with a prompt to go and download one.

Graham
Thanks. I just acquired the first Droid myself, used.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Something with Android? Or one of the Motorola Droid phones?
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I use Calibre Companion on my Nexus 10. It does something similar to GoodReads (based on your description). However, it works best if you first import all the ebooks into Calibre on your PC or Mac. The advantage of this is that Calibre (and Calibre Companion) allow sorting by series and by tags you set.

There are about 40 threads on this software, but start with Calibre Companion: Information, Change Log, and FAQ
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote