Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #106
Mr Whippy
Enthusiast
Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mr Whippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
And we're working on making our books even better right as we speak. I'll finally release our support for dropcaps and footnotes (links to a non-linear flow).
Mr Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #107
Merdrafts
Merdrafts began at the beginning.

Device: none
I searched but could not find an answer to this question. Do any ebook distributors allow the publishing of things like photo books of a company's products? Or a color swatch guide relating to products?

I am looking for somewhere I can do this and charge $0. The most likely candidate I've found is iBooks, but I'm skeptical they would allow a photo book or other material relating to a specific company's products.

I've had trouble locating info about this on the help/FAQ sections of Kindle,Ibooks, etc.

My goal is to be able to easily distribute a free image gallery to ipad and other tablet users. Ebooks seem to be the only way to do it without requiring recipients to purchase an app (sometimes. for example, ibooks is free on ipads).

Thanks!
Merdrafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #108
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merdrafts View Post
I searched but could not find an answer to this question. Do any ebook distributors allow the publishing of things like photo books of a company's products? Or a color swatch guide relating to products?

I am looking for somewhere I can do this and charge $0. The most likely candidate I've found is iBooks, but I'm skeptical they would allow a photo book or other material relating to a specific company's products.

I've had trouble locating info about this on the help/FAQ sections of Kindle,Ibooks, etc.

My goal is to be able to easily distribute a free image gallery to ipad and other tablet users. Ebooks seem to be the only way to do it without requiring recipients to purchase an app (sometimes. for example, ibooks is free on ipads).

Thanks!
Maybe get Sigil and tool around with it to see if you can get the functionality you want? Then you can upload the epub to your website and direct people there for downloads.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #109
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Spread around the goodness, use Smashwords (you will rarely make direct sales from the website) for its distribution hubs, place your book on B&N via Pubit and get it up on the Kindle via KDP. Everything else is persistence and settling down for a marathon, not a sprint.
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #110
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

This Amazon's Digital Text Platform are there any other benefits to using it over other websites?
MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #111
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodRing View Post
This Amazon's Digital Text Platform are there any other benefits to using it over other websites?
That fact that the vast majority of ebooks currently being sold are sold through the Amazon Kindle store?

You also make a little more on each sale going directly rather than through (say) Smashwords.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #112
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I gather from my reading posts over the past year that Smashwords' meatgrinder is to be avoided when possible.

I see now that Amazon has its own DTP system, Barnes & Noble has PubIt!, and Kobo I'm not sure about. Are they all better than Smashwords? Is it better to submit your work to each of these separately before you go to Smashwords?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #113
Smashwords
Connoisseur
Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
GA, our Meatgrinder system works really well for narrative and narrative + images. If you're doing a fixed format book (like some childrens picture books), it won't work for that. The secret to getting a good book out of Meatgrinder is to carefully study and implement our Smashwords Style Guide. It'll show you how to format your book for Smashwords, and how to take advantage of its support for styling and various bells and whistles.
Smashwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #114
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!

I downloaded the Style guide during last year's Read an eBook Week, so I'll get to that.

I'm writing a simple novel without graphs and illustrations.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #115
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll second Mr Coker there, I've had no trouble with the meatgrinder for my novels or short stories.

Can anyone tell me if Pubit is open to non US citizens these days or even a link to find it? I'm in the UK.

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #116
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
Can anyone tell me if Pubit is open to non US citizens these days or even a link to find it? I'm in the UK.
MTM, try this:
http://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubi...?t=pi_reg_home
Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #117
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ooo. Thanks.
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #118
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

You're welcome!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #119
Mac Carthy
Mac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic somethingMac Carthy has a certain pleonastic something

Guidelines

GREAT IDEA!!! Especially the bit about how to set up one's own store and sell from the website. YOU GO GIRL!!!
Mac Carthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #120
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I saw this proposal on Kickstarter to create a publishing site for ebooks released under creative commons licenses at leebre.org, and thought it might be of interest to people here.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-social-publis
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote