Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #526
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It's a TTS, it works like any other, a female voice both English and Spanish version. The English version works very similar to this link here,only a little brighter:
http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

The voice is about sounding the same as crystal; or even Lauren (but brighter), reading at the same speed, having the same accent and issues and tonality... TTS is non configurable.
If you select a block of text, or a page TTS will read like this.
If you select nothing, TTS will read the book, with an additional 1-2 seconds delay between sentences, which is kind of slow (kind of gives you a pause to ponder upon the sentence, or get annoyed with the slowness) but I think that might get updated soon!
I don't think you read the question very carefully.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #527
oldchum62
oldchum62 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Thanks for your answers ProDigit.
About the speed reading software, I was talking about the software which helps people to read quicker. I think this is different to TTS (text to speech software), which is when a voice reads the text to you.
oldchum62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #528
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Never a promise for handwrite recognition! That's a software pack you'd normally pay $30 in the store for!

So, no it does not, however, I perhaps will see some kind of paint brush-like program in the future on this device.

As far as typing, you can type with the stylus, there's an onscreen keyboard. Hopefully the device will support USB HUB and keyboard (I yet have to test this), so you can type straight from keyboard.
As far as I'm concerned, I think typing is less stressing to the hand than writing;but that'll be my personal opinion.
I would like to add that sometimes devices as iRex iLiad or Aiptek myNote give you a hand writing recognizer software running on Pc (often Windows). In this case you can use jCrossSketch to convert JBC scribble format in one of these supported format and use their software to convert into text.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #529
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
oldchum i see no teaching software on the device that helps learn to read quicker. beyond vocabulary builders.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #530
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Oh boy :-)
I did it too when I was at university and was forced to save money. But you do it with real paper. It's not the same on jbc screen.
I often use the 2-side-for-a-face printing format for pratical reason at work. The fact is very few documents and books are full A4 paper and with some adjustment it often print nice in a booklet

However I don't know your tastes I can read pretty well Hacker In The Box Magazine after I crop some margins (because, saddly JBC doesn't have zoom box)

Quote:
And how are you going to annotate/underline on such tiny texts? The stylus won't allow it.
In my experience:
  1. taking hand-writing note is possible when you have some white space (for eg. margins). With JBC you can also take note in very thiny area if you zoom enough into it. I remember some reader doesn't handle this very well, but JBC does
  2. Underlineing texts is not pratical in very few cases: often the text is big enough

Quote:
And do you find it comfortable reading hours on such tiny texts? I don't. Good for you, but it's not the same for other people.
Yeap! as I said texts are not so little

Quote:
(u heard the bad news from consegnato.com?
They wrote me few days ago to tell me new conditions. But I just bought my device and I no need of this kind of service

Quote:
So reflowing (or at least zooming over custom selected areas) is a must, for some kind of readings.
Reflow is sometime a good feature. But, if it is possible, I prefer to load on JBC an optimized file and is more easy to adjust a book for a 9.7" rather than for a 6".
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #531
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldchum62 View Post
Thanks for your answers ProDigit.
About the speed reading software, I was talking about the software which helps people to read quicker. I think this is different to TTS (text to speech software), which is when a voice reads the text to you.
Best speed reading software there is, are books,and a lot of reading!
It'll come natural to you the more you read!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #532
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Gosh, you're gonna have to edit your signature :-)
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #533
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
I.
If "Sometimes" or "often" is a subjective matter, in relation with personal taste, eyesight, reading conditions, display readability and the kind of literature you read.

If you can, try these: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171873 and post pics, possibly with scribblings included. I'm not sure understood which are the real capabilities of JBC as of now.

You may want to wait for the next update to do it, or just do it now and then repeat the "experiment" when the new firmware will be out.

HITB: that's specifically designed to be read on tablets or pc screens, you may be able to read it on ereaders too, but for that kind of publications (where you hardly read for more than 30-40 mins), the new ipad would be ideal I think

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-13-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #534
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
If "Sometimes" or "often" is a subjective matter, in relation with personal taste, eyesight, reading conditions, display readability and the kind of literature you read.
I speak for myself because I am sure only of my taste and I take actions basing on that. And you? Are you sure your tastes and experience are the universal reality? I am confident you don't belive this, you are a smart guy.

Quote:
If you can, try these: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171873 and post pics, possibly with scribblings included. I'm not sure understood which are the real capabilities of JBC as of now.

You may want to wait for the next update to do it, or just do it now and then repeat the "experiment" when the new firmware will be out.
No, the present firmware is lack of some feature but is far more usable than the first release. I can try with the present version and then with the next one.

Quote:
HITB: that's specifically designed to be read on tablets or pc screens, you may be able to read it on ereaders too, but for that kind of publications (where you hardly read for more than 30-40 mins), the new ipad would be ideal I think
  • HITB was not made specifically for tablets. This is your speculation. In fact there are (few) paper edition too
  • HITB is not the only paper I read. There are lot of others.
  • I gave iPad 2 to my wife last year as Christmas present but after I used it for some time I can tell you (always according to my tastes) I prefer use JBC for my technical reading and my Sony PRS-650 for my romances
Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #535
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Communicating online seems not so easy sometimes.

If I write "Sometimes" or "often" is a subjective matter, in relation with personal taste, eyesight, reading conditions, display readability and the kind of literature you read" where is the point where I assume my reading style and needs as universal?

HITB seems made to be printed, at least in the layout I see from that pdf.
But THAT pdf and -more generally speaking- that kind of magazines, can be read best on lcd screens than any e-ink, 1) for a matter of colours and contras 2) for you read magazines in quite short sessions, not comparable to narrative texts or scientific publications

I said the new ipad, did you check its resolution? I think it'll be quite better as reading device than the previous. But I think I'd still mostly read MAGAZINES / short readings, being it a backllighted screen, heavy to keep in your hands for long, distracting, etc...

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-13-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #536
mod186k1
Addict

Quote:
HITB seems made to be printed, at least in the layout I see from that pdf.
Ok, it's your speculation

Quote:
But THAT pdf and -more generally speaking- that kind of magazines, can be read best on lcd screens than any e-ink, 1) for a matter of colours and contras.
We have discussed about lcd/led before but it seems we never be agree about it. Probably it is my communication fault.

Quote:
I said the new ipad, did you check its resolution? I think it'll be quite better as reading device than the previous.
You miss the point. It isn't a resolution matter when you have just now a 203dpi screen.

Quote:

You here sounds a bit sarcastic, but I replayed in your thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2002511
Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #537
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Please quote ALL my words:
THAT pdf and -more generally speaking- that kind of magazines, can be read best on lcd screens than any e-ink, 1) for a matter of colours and contras 2) for you read magazines in quite short sessions, not comparable to narrative texts or scientific publications

Both points are important when choosing which device is best. I added that the new iPad resolution is an interesting feature for readers, etc etc...

I am not being sarcastic in any of my words.

Some jbc owners apparently went crazy even just at reading the "reflow" word (probably just because they did not know what reflowing a text means). There's nothing to fear about rational analysing devices' features.

It's not strange to have an interest about jbc. Just relax!

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-13-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #538
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
lcd screens good for video but bad for your eyes when you read more than 20 minutes.
magazines looks great on 9.7" jetBook Color screen and I can read it WITHOUT any reflow. I used reflow feature on my jetbook Lite unit but I don't need it on 9.7" jetBook Color screen because original text is a big enough for me.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #539
mod186k1
Addict

Quote Kriss - and possible bug report

Kriss,
What you said is true even for me.
A pratical example: I'm reading an article of "Altroconsumo" (italian consumer magazine) because I found an interesting article dealing with ebook market in Italy. I spend a couple of time reading it because I want use it to make an thread on Simpliccissimus forum (the article deals with a very specific italian topic).
I have an iPad 2 (it's of my wife in reality) with an specific designed app to read Altroconsumo magazine but I prefer to use JBC (without reflow) and its "Mark for Summary" feature.

Anyway: I noticed that when I use widly "Mark for Summary" the text selection became very slow. Please can JBC users tell me if it occurs in your devices too? If so I would take the chance to open a bug to Ectaco.

P.s: for the bug: I'm storing all documents on mircroSD card
Thank you
Old 03-14-2012, 03:45 AM   #540
mod186k1
Addict

Quote Kriss - and possible bug report

Kriss,
What you said is true even for me.
A pratical example: I'm reading an article of "Altroconsumo" (italian consumer magazine) because I found an interesting article dealing with ebook market in Italy. I spend a couple of time reading it because I want use it to make an thread on Simpliccissimus forum (the article deals with a very specific italian topic).
I have an iPad 2 (it's of my wife in reality) with an specific designed app to read Altroconsumo magazine but I prefer to use JBC (without reflow) and its "Mark for Summary" feature.

Anyway: I noticed that when I use widly "Mark for Summary" the text selection became very slow. Please can JBC users tell me if it occurs in your devices too? If so I would take the chance to open a bug to Ectaco.

Present summary contains:
1919 bytes
27 lines

If I make a selection the blue led will power on and the divice will be blocked for a couple of minutes.
P.s: for the bug: I'm storing all documents on mircroSD card
Thank you

Tags
ectaco, jetbook color, jetbook color review