Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
NeilPetrunia
NeilPetrunia began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Sigil Crashes on Saving (Max OSX10.5)

My apologies if this thread exists elsewhere. I've searched and can't find it.

Sigil hangs on two separate systems when trying to save a) an edited .epub file, and b) a 'save-as' to an unedited file.

It becomes unresponsive and I've had to force-quit it each time.

I really like the concept of SIGIL, but this is a kind of deal-breaker if I can't save edited files.

Tx.
NeilPetrunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I had the same problem you're having (only I'm on 10.6). In reading one of the other Sigil threads, I saw the suggestion to make sure that none of the files inside the epub had spaces in their names. When I fixed those filenames, I was able to save the file without incident.

HTH,
Tracey
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
NeilPetrunia

I was using Sigil 2.0 beta Mac version, and couldn't get it to save anything on either of my macs. I dit what Tlrowley suggested, made sure that all my images and files had no spaces in their names, and this didn't solve the problem.

I'm creating the epub files from InDesign CS4. I'm using Sigil to do post formatting and editing of the generated CSS.

When I changed to version 1.9 of Sigil, the file saved correctly and with no problems. I'm thinking that V2.0 still needs some work.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPetrunia View Post
I was using Sigil 2.0 beta Mac version, and couldn't get it to save anything on either of my macs.
I use version 2.0 beta on a Mac too, and had this problem only once. After checking I found that indeed there were spaces in some file names ...
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
I use version 2.0 beta on a Mac too, and had this problem only once. After checking I found that indeed there were spaces in some file names ...
images may have a file name with spaces.

best to check all the sections .
Sigils uses a short name when you it inserts a new file.

Why does the original EPUB creation feel the need to maintain a full, original file name?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
images may have a file name with spaces.
??? Wasn't it you who first reported that Sigil 0.2.0β2 hangs and that your file completely dissappears?

I just had the problem with an image name with spaces: Sigil freezes and file gone. Fortunately my system makes a back up every hour!

Last edited by paulpeer; 03-21-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
??? Wasn't it you who first reported that Sigil 0.2.0β2 hangs and that your file completely dissappears?

I just had the problem with an image name with spaces: Sigil freezes and file gone. Fortunately my system makes a back p every hour!
Poor wording (again) on my part.
I meant "Look there also"

Spaces in any EPUB internal file_name =
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
NeilPetrunia

Since I backdated to Sigil 1.9, no problems. Although I like Sigil, am still looking for a good epub editor for the Mac, one that doesn't require me to unzip the epub file. I found a bit of a rusty program for the Mac from Adobe, PDFXML Inspector, that runs under Adobe AIR. It isn't a wysywig editor, but it does let you inspect the whole ePub file and make edits to it.

Both AIR and PDFXML Inspector are free downloads.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Do you experience the problem with just one epub file, or with several? Try to open and edit this epub file.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote