Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Traffic Goddess
Traffic Goddess doesn't litterTraffic Goddess doesn't litter

Device: sony prs-700
ebook library software possessed!

Hi-
This is serving as my "hello" post and a plea for an exorcist. I found this site through Google when I searched for ebook library software problems.

I had the connect/elibrary software, last year, when I had a prs-500. The darn thing broke (the reader) almost a year ago. I broke down and bought a prs-700 (which I am in love with!). It arrived yesterday and I installed the software from the included disc. When I tried to connect, I get the message, Unable to access ebook store. Check your network settings to ensure you have access to the internet.

Here are the steps I took:
-I uninstalled the program and went to the ebook library site.
-I downloaded the program from that site. I received the same error.
-I went to the help page and followed the instructions to uninstall, included hunting down the wayward kinoma, etc. files and deleting them.
-I downloaded again....same error.
(I also tried uninstalling, rebooting and installing...same error.)
-I tried turning off all firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware and connecting. (Everyone together now............same error.
-I called the ebook library helpline. After the first tech realized that I did all of the above, he connected me to the software gurus.
-A really great guru named Sonya did the remote thing with me. We were online for two hours...I swear this is no exaggeration.
-She uninstalled the program and we went through the Borders site to download. It actually connected and we authorized my new reader.
-After she closed out of the program and we restarted it, I got the same error.

I noticed that after the very first download, I was unable to reopen the program from the desktop or start menu. I right-clicked and clicked on "Run as Administrator" and I've been able to open it that way, but I've still been getting the network error.

I'm going to try uninstalling, d/ling from the Border's site and doing run as admin to see if that helps.

Any suggestions?

PS- Sonia called back tonight, did the remote thing but was unable to connect, still.
Traffic Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Traffic Goddess

Okay, I uninstalled (again), restarted and downloaded from the Borders site. Still same error message.
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
There's been quite a few of these threads around, you might want to do a search to see what other people came out with.

The only thing you didn't mention is the DEP exclusion. I don't know anything about it but I know it helped a lot of people.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Traffic Goddess

I'm sorry, I thought I put that down. I run my own forum for law enforcement and I can't stand when people don't read the prior items...thanks for pointing that out.

When I found this forum through my google search, I read the threads about this subject that had been posted within the last year. If I hadn't tried what was posted, I did so. I read the thread about Norton 360 and even though I don't have that program (mine is through Verizon), I tried those steps, also. None of those steps worked. I did feel that this was a new issue because I was unable to find anything that worked for me in the prior posts. I tried to be as detailed as possible in hopes that someone here might have a solution.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium with the Verizon Internet Security Suite. Tier 2 at Sony Help is baffled after two remote sessions. All I want is to be able to connect to the Sony ebook store. I did d/l calibre, which is a help, but I haven't found lower prices anywhere else (including BoB) except Sony.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traffic Goddess View Post

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I'll try to help... but it sounds that you did and checked everything.

I assume you can browse the eBook store using your browser without error?

Personally, I would uninstall all security and virus software. It is basically useless as long as you are careful and you use a router and keep decent backups.

Can you try to set your computer to be in the DMZ? This is a router setting. You can google your router model and DMZ and probably find how to do this. Once you're in the DMZ try it.

You are using what, FiOS or DSL via verizon? Do you have any type of ISP based security? I know that I don't on my FiOS connection.

Do you by any chance have access to a copy of Windows XP? You could install it in a Virtual Machine and try using it there.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
gokalp
gokalp began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
Also, if you have access to a VPN, tunneling through a VPN can bypass router restrictions. The local antivirus and firewall software would still be active, but at least it will isolate router related problems.
gokalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Traffic Goddess

I have DSL through Verizon, FIOS isn't available in my area, yet.

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll give them a try.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
For Vista Uninstall it
then Delete the following folders
C:\ProgramData\kinoma
C:\ProgramData\Marlin
C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation
C:\Users\%usernam%\AppData\Local\kinoma

After doing so, reinstall your Connect Reader software from:
http://ebooks.connect.com/downloadclient.html
Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
For Vista Uninstall it
then Delete the following folders
C:\ProgramData\kinoma
C:\ProgramData\Marlin
C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation
C:\Users\%usernam%\AppData\Local\kinoma

After doing so, reinstall your Connect Reader software from:
http://ebooks.connect.com/downloadclient.html
This is a good suggestion to try. And if this does not work, uninstall Verizon Security Suite. Sometimes these security programs block you from things you actually want. The best security is to remove any software based firewall and get a router. The router will keep you safer without having the software block things you want to run.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
BENYSOFI
BENYSOFI began at the beginning.

Device: none
you just need to allow the program Ebook Library in the Verizon Firewall Protection there is an option next to the ebook library that says Allow or Automatic or disable, please select allow and then save teh changes and go to open it, hopefuly it will work try please and let me know.bye
BENYSOFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
BENYSOFI
BENYSOFI began at the beginning.

Device: none
oh by the way you did too much, but thats great we know now that it does not work.
BENYSOFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
mirakix
Enthusiast
mirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-700
I just found out that my anti-virus programme (Gdata) has a feature called Webprotection.I switched it off and now the connection with the shop works fine!
mirakix is offline   Reply With Quote