Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #16
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Jeez, guys, take it easy! In another thread Vydorscope indicated a piece could be a bit over the 1000 limit. I've never written anything as short as 1000 words (and I'm certainly never going to try again!) so I ran 1300 up the flagpole to see if he would salute, and boy did I get some flack.

To my way of thinking now, 1000 is in the nature of an anecdote, not a story. However, I have a good story idea, and now I'm going to take it to its natural length, probably 2500-3000 words and try the women's magazine market.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #17
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I think there are two dynamics at work here. The writer's first call is to write the story, at its "natural" length. This is a work of art. The editor has to fill an anthology with stories that fit certain specifications that might include genre, tone, and even length. This is more of a craft, in my mind. If you can write, or have written, a story that fits, great. Otherwise, write your story and you'll still likely find the right home for it.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
I had a story I wrote some time ago that was about 1000 words, so polished it and submitted it just now.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #19
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I had a story I wrote some time ago that was about 1000 words, so polished it and submitted it just now.
Hey that's great! I hope they love it. What is the title so I can look for it in the release?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I think there are two dynamics at work here. The writer's first call is to write the story, at its "natural" length. This is a work of art. The editor has to fill an anthology with stories that fit certain specifications that might include genre, tone, and even length. This is more of a craft, in my mind.
Writing to a fixed length is indeed a craft, and an absolutely essential one for journalism, academic writing, etc. Probably less of a consideration for creative writing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #21
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Hey that's great! I hope they love it. What is the title so I can look for it in the release?
Stylish Headwear and the Problem of Free Will.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #22
KarenT
Author
KarenT began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thumbs up Accepted!

Thanks for the heads-up on this one, Vydoscope. I submitted a story, entitled The Skylight Room, which has been accepted for the anthology. Looking forward to seeing it in print!
KarenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #23
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Awesome! Congrats!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #24
VydorScope
Wizard

UPDATE!!!

The "well known" authors have been officially announced....if you submit you story/name will be right along side...

Quote:
David Gerrold is best known as the writer of the beloved classic Star Trek episode, The Trouble With Tribbles. He is also the author of the novel, The Man Who Folded Himself, the popular Star Wolf book series, the Chtorr Invasion as well as the novelette, The Martian Child, which won both the Hugo and Nebula awards and was made into a film starring John Cusack. Very prolific, he continues to write new material and those books and story collections can be found on kindle. His story contribution here is called A Wish For Smish.
and....

Quote:
Kevin J. Anderson is a science fiction author with many bestsellers to his credit and is best known as the co-author (along with Brian Herbert) of the Dune prequels. He has also written many original works including the Saga of the Seven Suns and most recently the Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series. He lives with his wife, author Rebecca Moesta in Colorado and his story contribution here is called Controlled Experiments.
and...

Quote:
Ron McLarty is multi talented. He is a character actor who has many appearances to his credit and can be seen most recently on Person Of Interest and the film, St. Vincent with Bill Murray. He is also a popular audio book narrator who narrates many authors of note including Stephen King, David Baldacci, Anne Rice and others. In the literary world Ron is best known for his novel, The Memory of Running, as well as most recently, The Dropper. His story contribution here is Large Animal /Small Animal.
More details: http://www.whatbrickwall.blogspot.com/

So get typing!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:15 AM   #25
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
So get typing!
Typing duly done and my contribution, "Recall", has been accepted.

Thanks for pointing me to this, Vincent.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Well done, everyone!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #27
VydorScope
Wizard

Congrats Graham!

So four Mobile Read authors in it so far? Coolness!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #28
Ninjalawyer
Guru

Quote:
Congrats Graham!

So four Mobile Read authors in it so far? Coolness!
Well, three in any event. I haven't heard anything, so I don't believe mine was accepted
Old 02-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #29
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Well, three in any event. I haven't heard anything, so I don't believe mine was accepted

She lost my story, I followed up with her (after not hearing for a while) and it turned out that Google had put it in her "circles" instead of her "inbox" - you know just computers being helpful. I would suggest you follow up with her and see if she got it.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #30
Ninjalawyer
Guru

Quote:
She lost my story, I followed up with her (after not hearing for a while) and it turned out that Google had put it in her "circles" instead of her "inbox" - you know just computers being helpful. I would suggest you follow up with her and see if she got it.
I'll give that a go, just in case. There's no shame in rejection, so I won't be too upset if the story just wasn't right for the anthology.