Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Unhappy I crashed

Well guess what, the darn computer crashed on me today, I couldn't even get it started up in safe mode so needless to say I lost all my stuff...... many books went down the drain...... the bookreader program went capute.

Could someone be so kind as to post the first startup file for this program and the last that is for the sony reader, you would be very helpful to me while I am slugging through other stuff trying to get it installed........ my mail program and such.

Also I have to reinstall connect now......... am I going to run into any problem or can I basicly just re-install the sucker.

thanks
Blue screen of death sucks.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Geez! I wouldn't wish that on to my worst ennemy

Good luck Karen! Roll up your sleeves and try to spend a peacefull 8 hours. Breath in breath out and think of us, it will let our good wishes in.

OHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 03-29-2007 at 08:07 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ouch. We had a crash early January, fortunately it was the motherboard or disk controller, rather than the drive, so we didn't lose any data (like holiday pictures or dissertation files <whew>). I feel for you.

I think the BD files are here, the first one is right at the top, but you'll probably have to look at the end for the most recent update.

You should be able to just re-install the ConnSoft -- it may not recognize that it's the same computer for the ConnStore, but if it doesn't just give 'em a call and they'll take the 'old' one off, they seem to have gotten used to the request when I talked to them about our crash.

Sorry that your having to deal with this, it stinks.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Karen, that's so unfortunate! I hope you were able to make some backups of your important data before.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Karen, my sympathy. I was there a few weeks ago. Since then I backup my books on DVD-RW AND on a Flash Drive.

Hope you get things working again.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks guys......... yea it sucks............ I did have a cd with some of my books on it, just not all the new recent additions which was quite a bit of them. Yep something on this thing just froze up on me, couldn't get taskbar to work right, more freezing and so I shut off the power...... I don't think that was the main cause because It's happened when we have power outtages, but yesterday around 2 it wouldn't boot up, couldn't get it to boot in safe mode.....so I had to do the dastardly deed....... yea I have backups of most of my stuff, more recent stuff was lost that I wanted....

I have a few things more to get on here..... bookreader and the connect thing (please don't give me a problem)

Thanks for the link NatCH will see whats there.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have to be up to a lot to try what I have to suggest next.
If everything gets really awfull, remove the drive and get a new one. Make this one master and install Windows to it. Then take your old hard drive, make it slave and use the new one to retrieve info from it. It's a long process.
I've done it once and it worked. Positive note: I got a bigger drive since they get cheaper and cheaper. Don't despair!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

ha ha, what I would be up too is getting a new computer since I get new about every three years....... so probably when they get the bugs out of Vista I will just do that.

I am pooped, but I got installed what I wanted/needed and left the junk off this time..... whew.......and I took all the stuff from vairous 13 cds, put them on the desktop and then burned them, so now I am compact and down to about 4 and have book designer on there as well The way this thing just kept going around and around in the windows load up screen has me spooked so I burned all this stuff first before doing anything this morning..... I pray I don't need to use it though, this stuff is tiring...
Maybe now I can relax a little and enjoy myself...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

<<<<<<Till next time>>>>>>

Old 03-30-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Sending warm and happy thoughts-

Don't hit your head against the wall-

Keep on the sunny side-

UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Thanks UncleDuke. I be fine.........and so far so good. I am just really mad about all the good books that I lost in the ordeal.....But I am burning anything new on a daily basis.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
I have a program at home to ghost my system drives to DVD and a backup HD. I have a clean install disc, another with my programs installed and then a few regular backups. Symantec bought them out years ago and they offer Norton Ghost and the slightly cheaper Norton Save & Restore. It's great being able to just toss a disc in, after replacing a faulty hard drive or just starting with a clean install, and being up and ready in about 10-15 minutes.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Ghost is worth every cent it costs. It has saved my neck (and other parts too) many a time. Hard disks are nice but not forever.

I have also been burned by multisession CDs and DVDs. Sometimes they just get their little brains and directories scrambled. USB sticks are more reliable IMHO.

I have found that the best method for me is to keep the system and program files on one disk and to keep all of my data files on other disks. For example, all books are on a hard disk that I picked up from CompUSA. It was the cheapest hard disk that they carried and it is still many times larger than I feel I need.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #14
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I too have two hard drives - primary and a slave.
I save all my important personal data to the slave drive and back it up regularly onto DVD's and also onto an external USB hard disk.

Regarding the primary OS drive, I use Acronis to make an image and save the image on the slave drive.

I feel in this way I am covered for all catastrophes but you never know!
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:43 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd strongly urge you to get an external USB hard disk, and keep all your important stuff backed on it. They aren't very expensive, and are a life saver when (not "if" - it is "when") the inevitable crash happens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote