Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
E-ink Friendly Kindle App

Saw this over on xda developer forum. It's developed for the Nook ST, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for the Onyx.

eInk-friendly Amazon Kindle 3.2.0.35

Quote:
White mode background is really white, not light gray. White mode text is really black, not something close to black.
Black mode background/text same as above.
Sepia mode unchanged.
Reading progress bar changed from shaded spheres (barely visible on eInk) to empty and filled squares.
Library background now white with black text.
Other text(s) changed to black.

I've signed this app and the signature is different from the original app, so you will need to uninstall your existing Kindle app and install this one.
N.B. I have not tested this.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
PremaEbooks
Zealot
PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle(all), Nook, Sony, Onyx Boox, iPad 2
I installed it on my T68 but... is an early version so no options at all.

It has a bug, at least on T68: everytime you turn page the screen turns black
so not an option in T68 or M96
PremaEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: inkBOOK
Interesting, I'll give it a shot on my T68 Lynx and M96 Universe.

Last edited by ArtaTechPoland; 09-05-2014 at 06:40 AM.
ArtaTechPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I used this originally on the Nook Simple Touch and later on the Glowlight. It worked fine there. But I had the same results as PremaEbooks with my T68. Unless someone knows how to adapt the current Kindle app in a similar way for the T68, we're better off with the Kindle app as is. Or, use Calibre and a few magic add-ons, and Calibre Companion on your T68, and read your Kindle books on your favorite E-Ink reading app!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Oh well. Scratch that
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I used this originally on the Nook Simple Touch and later on the Glowlight. It worked fine there. But I had the same results as PremaEbooks with my T68. Unless someone knows how to adapt the current Kindle app in a similar way for the T68, we're better off with the Kindle app as is. Or, use Calibre and a few magic add-ons, and Calibre Companion on your T68, and read your Kindle books on your favorite E-Ink reading app!
Hi downeaster,

I don't use Kindle much, installed but removed due to too many animations etc when opening & native reader being good enough for local ebooks. Just out of curiosity, what do you miss/dislike in the 'supposedly' e-ink friendly Kindle app. Thanks.
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found that page turns with the E-Ink-friendly Kindle app cause the screen to go black momentarily. You can read books on it, but I found that the "regular" Kindle app actually works a little better on the T68. That is, when I tried it. I don't use the app at all now on the T68. I prefer to run my Kindle books through Calibre and read them on another E-Ink friendly app - or, just use my Kindle Paperwhite. Ideally, I could go down to only one E-Ink reader, but each one I have has certain features or capabilities that the other doesn't.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

So the custom Kindle app in in fact e-ink 'un'friendly...
Old 09-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #9
downeaster59
Wizard

On the T68, yes. It works fine on the Nook Simple Touch or Glowlight, from what I see.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #10
japinder
jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I found that page turns with the E-Ink-friendly Kindle app cause the screen to go black momentarily. You can read books on it, but I found that the "regular" Kindle app actually works a little better on the T68. That is, when I tried it. I don't use the app at all now on the T68. I prefer to run my Kindle books through Calibre and read them on another E-Ink friendly app - or, just use my Kindle Paperwhite. Ideally, I could go down to only one E-Ink reader, but each one I have has certain features or capabilities that the other doesn't.
On my M96, using this modified app, the first page of the book displays fine, but each subsequent page doesn't turn black 'momentarily', it 'stays' black.

There is a workaround - go to menu/settings -> contrast button -> click on white. Voila! The page is proper black text on white background.

However, it needs to be done individually for each page.

This issue is not present on the standard Kindle for Android app, but it has those unpleasant page turn animations, which leave those horrible artifacts, since the screen doesn't refresh. So the Kindle app is currently unworkable on the M96.

Last edited by japinder; 09-16-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #11
japinder
jp

Bill has, on request, god bless his soul, modified a (comparatively) new version of the Kindle for Android app - v4.4.0.71.

- The black screen issue is gone.
- The page animations are a lot less than that on the official app & usable.

Go check it out. Post # 25 in the same XDA thread as the OP.

Last edited by japinder; 09-28-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #12
PremaEbooks
Zealot
PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.PremaEbooks shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle(all), Nook, Sony, Onyx Boox, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by japinder View Post
Bill has, on request, god bless his soul, modified a (comparatively) new version of the Kindle for Android app - v4.4.0.71.

- The black screen issue is gone.
- The page animations are a lot less than that on the official app & usable.

Go check it out. Post # 25 in the same XDA thread as the OP.
Tested on T68.

Works fine, but the animation is still there.

I think I'll try to take a look at the code.
There's an Activity that manages the animations that if can't be disabled, at least I think that, could be set to 0.

I took a look at previous version's code and the value was set to 600. I guess that setting both to 0 would make the animation disabled...

I'll try as soon as I have time.
PremaEbooks is offline   Reply With Quote