Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #1531
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
No, not at all interested.
Like I wrote: I don't find iPhone that compelling - never did.
As a phone it lacks tons of features essential for (my) business needs.
As a gadget it's nice, but I've got my iPad mini Retina for that.
I didn't even go for iPhone 5.
Personally, I did like the older units better design-wise.
iPad 1, to me, was to most beautiful iPad so far. I'm not a fan of the curved edges on the later iPads. iPad Air and mini are a huge improvement, but not the class of iPad 1 yet.
Same for iPhone.
iPhone 4/4S was spectacular. So were the first iPod Touchs....

But!

iPad 1 was heavy as hell! :-) and lower resolution ... so what do you mean with class?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #1532
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
But!

iPad 1 was heavy as hell! :-) and lower resolution ... so what do you mean with class?
Design of the hardware.
I found the curved edges of iPads 2 to 4 ugly as hell.
Air and mini are an improvement, but not quite there yet.
I don't care much about the resolution. Way more important to me is the fun I have when taking it out of the sleeve.
Surface Pro to me feels that way - a premium unit.
iPad mini Retina in a similar way, maybe slightly less.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #1533
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Design of the hardware.

I found the curved edges of iPads 2 to 4 ugly as hell.

Air and mini are an improvement, but not quite there yet.

I don't care much about the resolution. Way more important to me is the fun I have when taking it out of the sleeve.

Surface Pro to me feels that way - a premium unit.

iPad mini Retina in a similar way, maybe slightly less.

Hmmm...

I have a retina Mini and Air. To me, weight and resolution were key factors on my purchase as I use them for reading PDFs.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #1534
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Hmmm...

I have a retina Mini and Air. To me, weight and resolution were key factors on my purchase as I use them for reading PDFs.
I guess, that's one of the reasons why I frequently buy new gadgets: It's mostly about the fun for me. I have way more tablets, than I ever could take with me. So I'm free to choose. For now, I always take a Windows 8 tablet with me, should I have to do some business stuff on the road.
In 2 months, I may have different projects or maybe I find an efficient solution on iOS for my needs (changing fonts in emails, using templates, using CI-conform signatures, ...) and I might switch for some time.
And usually I'm taking 2 or 3 units with me anyway: A dedicated reader, for now most of the time Kindle Paperwhite. A tablet, for now depending on the duration of the trip and the amount of luggage I take with me Dell Venue 8 Pro or Surface Pro 2 (both with quite efficient keyboard solutions), and iPad mini Retina as my "fun unit".

I can't use iOS at all for my business needs. So, as long as there are no significant changes in the OS, it will remain a toy for me. A fantastic one, but without practical "use" or real demand.
So I'm extremely critical about details on iPad. On Surface Pro 2 for example I simply accept the low accuracy of the pen, simply because I can't do without Surface. On iPad, some detail like that, would bother me way more...
Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #1535
jocampo
Layback feline

8+ Readers in comparison

Quote:
I guess, that's one of the reasons why I frequently buy new gadgets: It's mostly about the fun for me. I have way more tablets, than I ever could take with me. So I'm free to choose. For now, I always take a Windows 8 tablet with me, should I have to do some business stuff on the road.
In 2 months, I may have different projects or maybe I find an efficient solution on iOS for my needs (changing fonts in emails, using templates, using CI-conform signatures, ...) and I might switch for some time.
And usually I'm taking 2 or 3 units with me anyway: A dedicated reader, for now most of the time Kindle Paperwhite. A tablet, for now depending on the duration of the trip and the amount of luggage I take with me Dell Venue 8 Pro or Surface Pro 2 (both with quite efficient keyboard solutions), and iPad mini Retina as my "fun unit".

I can't use iOS at all for my business needs. So, as long as there are no significant changes in the OS, it will remain a toy for me. A fantastic one, but without practical "use" or real demand.
So I'm extremely critical about details on iPad. On Surface Pro 2 for example I simply accept the low accuracy of the pen, simply because I can't do without Surface. On iPad, some detail like that, would bother me way more...

I can't give up on my MacAir.Reason being? I can't run a SQL server virtual machine on my iPad. And to be honest, it would be weird.

So, define fun for you?

I understand iOs may be limited for some offices and work, but an iPad is fun to me. With thousands or apps, there is always something there for each one.

My traveling combo usually is: Kindle PW, iPad , MacAir. If I have to pick one , it would be the iPad.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-24-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #1536
mgmueller
Member Retired

Lenovo Thinkpad 8

128GB, Windows 8.1 Tablet.

I've thought about it for quite some time.
One one hand, I kind of despise Lenovo. Build quality, haptic and the likes seem subpar to me.
On the other hand, I love my Windows 8 tablets.
I really like my Dell Venue 8 Pro as a business machine on the road. But it's simply not "cool" enough as a gadget. The display is okay and for the price (only € 350) it's actually quite stunning. But of course it can't quite compete with iPad mini Retina and such.
So, when having a few spare minutes at hand, I've eventually decided for the Thinkpad 8.
On Amazon.de, the 128GB version was € 489. An enormous price drop, only 3 months ago it had been € 650!
For express shipment, I went directly to the website of the most established merchant. Instead of the € 489 from the Amazon website, it was only € 449 (!!!) directly from him.
Wow! € 40 = 8,2% cheaper! Same merchant as in Amazon, same product.
I have to check this more often.
It seems, some merchants simply add the Amazon fees (8,2% seems to be realistic for Amazon fees. When selling used products via Amazon, I usually have to pay 7%) to their prices. If that's the case, 8% difference in prices certainly are worth the effort to go directly to the website of the merchant...

Anyway:
I've just ordered the 128GB version for € 449 + € 29 for express shipment (I have to have it over the weekend, of course).
Old 07-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #1537
mgmueller
Member Retired

Onyx Boox T68

I've just ordered it.
I loved the idea, when I first heard of it.
I'm frequently switching between Kindle, Nook and Kobo.
Buying most of my eBooks on Kindle, but having about 300 on each of the others as well.
I'm fine with reading on tablets, with one (significant) exception: In the bed at night. Then my readers with light really "shine".
Having all 3 (and maybe others) major apps on a single reader: Quite compelling.
I was a bit disappointed, when checking it out at a friend 10 days ago.
Build quality did seem sub-par to me.
And the background seemed to have some yellowish saturation to it.
But I've relied on HarryT's verdict: Bought.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #1538
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've just ordered it.
Buying most of my eBooks on Kindle, but having about 300 on each of the others as well.
I'm fine with reading on tablets, with one (significant) exception: In the bed at night. Then my readers with light really "shine".
Having all 3 (and maybe others) major apps on a single reader: Quite compelling.
I was a bit disappointed, when checking it out at a friend 10 days ago.
Build quality did seem sub-par to me.
And the background seemed to have some yellowish saturation to it.
I should warn you about one thing:

The device only has 500MB of internal "app" storage, and when I installed the Kindle App, it used over 350MB of that space, due to the large size of my Kindle library (large size on Amazon's servers, that is - I didn't download any books). You can move the app to the internal SD card, but the data stays in app storage.

For comparison, Calibre Companion with a little over 4000 books is using 90MB of storage. (The books themselves use 3.5GB on the external SD card.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #1539
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
I've just ordered it.
Out of my respect for your and HarryT's opinions, I'd love to know what "it" is.

I'm away from Wi-Fi in a getaway place, so only accessing this from my phone, so may be missing something. But the last three HarryT posts I could find were in February and March.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #1540
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Out of my respect for your and HarryT's opinions, I'd love to know what "it" is.
Look at the title of post #1537 above. Onyx Boox T68
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #1541
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ah, that explains it. My version of Tapatalk for Android, which I got free from the Amazon Appstore a while ago, doesn't display post titles. I just went to mobileread on a browser and see the title.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #1542
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I should warn you about one thing:

The device only has 500MB of internal "app" storage, and when I installed the Kindle App, it used over 350MB of that space, due to the large size of my Kindle library (large size on Amazon's servers, that is - I didn't download any books). You can move the app to the internal SD card, but the data stays in app storage.

For comparison, Calibre Companion with a little over 4000 books is using 90MB of storage. (The books themselves use 3.5GB on the external SD card.)
My Kindle library doesn't fit in my Paperwhite 2.
Of my 900+ books, I can download about 650.
And those 650 only, because I carefully choose the books manually.
I'm not downloading 30MB Dilbert cartoons for example.

Meaning:
Kindle library = about 2GB of "core" items and another 2GB of "none essential" titles.
Another 2GB for Kobo and Nook - each!

--> Does this mean, of my roundabout 8GB of books (not even including my 1000+ ePUBs), I can use only 500MB?
This would be a clear showstopper for me. I already hate the 2GB limit on my Paperwhite 2...

For comparison:
As the Kindle app takes 350MB (without downloading any books!), what's the storage needed for Nook or Kobo or other 3rd party apps?
At least, I'd want to install:
Kindle + Kobo + Nook - some ePub capable apps, maybe some app for comics as well.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-23-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:11 AM   #1543
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
As I've already mentioned earlier too, TapaTalk doesn't show titles. Sadly people still think that those are visible everywhere...

Quote:
128GB, Windows 8.1 Tablet.

<snip>

I've just ordered the 128GB version for € 449 + € 29 for express shipment (I have to have it over the weekend, of course).
I wonder how you'd like the HD screen (in comparison with the Dell). Is it really noticeable and usable?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #1544
mgmueller
Member Retired

Lenovo Thinkpad 8

Just fetched the package from the package box.
I absolutely hate this: The seal has been opened and someone put another seal 5 cm left from it.
I've had this before: Some clever PC merchants open the box, to test the unit and write down the serial number.
I don't want this. And I don't accept this.
How should I know I'm not getting a used unit?
Wasted time, I've already lost my interest in it...

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-24-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #1545
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
...I wonder how you'd like the HD screen (in comparison with the Dell). Is it really noticeable and usable?
Unfortunately, I can't tell!
I was looking forward to testing it over the weekend.
And I've ordered via Express, to have it still today.
But the seal on the box has been opened.
Someone sealed it again, but it's clearly visible (you can't pull off the seals without leaving marks, fortunately enough).
I'm not interested in pre-owned units.
I'm tempted to test it anyway and still send it back.
But I won't open the box and send it back exactly the way I've got it.
Lessons learned: Next time buy from Amazon again. No wonder, they have been € 40 cheaper than on the Amazon website! Still expensive (10% below list price) enough for a somewhat suspicious unit...

Dang!
They've got me!
I couldn't resist and HAD to peek into the box.
The seal was loose, definitely the one someone had removed on the other side of the box.
Inside, the tablet itself was shrink-wrapped. Of course I can't tell, whether that's original Lenovo shrinkwrapped or from the PC store.
Anyway...I've started it inside the shrink-wrap, did like the touch and feel and took it out.
I still could return it, of course.
But I normally don't do it.
The PC store has angered me, so I won't accept another frustration.
But if all is alright...I'll keep it...

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-24-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test