Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Batch rename caused error and loosing a file

After making several new split files from 1 large text file, I tried to bulk rename the new created chapter-6.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 (etc) files, but got an "Index out of range" error and could not rename anymore.
I saved my current work, closed and reopened the editor with the epub. Thereafter I could rename several files just fine.

However, after adding some more split files, and trying to bulk rename them, I was informed via an error pop-up that the file name already existed (which was incorrect as that file did not exist yet). It resulted in an actual correctly renamed split file (despite the error notification) but also the deleting of the original text file containing still to be split chapters.

I was able to recover via a backup an just include the deleted chapters, so no problems there. I suspect however the bulk rename to be the root cause, probably due to the the growing file name lengths.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm guessing the problem is caused if the files you are batch renaming result in a name that already exists. Choose a different prefix and your problem should go away. I guess I will have to add in some code to check for that condition.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually, that condition is already checked for. So I'm going to need the full error details on the original Index out of range error. See if you can reproduce the error nd click show details and post the full traceback.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Tried several times using the original file, but could just not reproduce the error situation. I had several chapter-5.1.1.1.1.1.1.1 files, but now they where smoothly batch renamed without any hitch.

I did quite a substantial edit session just before the indicated error occurred so that might also have contributed to the problem situation. Anyhow, it seems that it is unlikely to occur very often. When I encounter it again, I will certainly save the debug info now.

All: have a merry Christmas!
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote