Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #31
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Of course John: I was planning to put it here on mobileread... if I can solve the problem of long paragraphs .

Your suggestions are welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Les_chants_de_maldoror.epub (517.1 KB, 218 views)
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #32
vampiregrave
vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Can I repeat my previous questions (post # 15)? Regarding to your long paragraphs: have you many of them? How long are they? How many epub with very long paragraphs do you have in your stable?

Just curious!
At least 3-5 per chapter, more than 600 words or 3k characters. I'm working on a new title right now, and i noticed several long paragraphs in the first chapter (one has more than 800 words), so i'll probably use it as a test file later.

Quote:
If you created yourself the long paragraphs, would it not be better to make them shorter? If you don't, we are in the same boat and the "possible" solutions seem to be here.
Working on public domain portuguese books, so i've got no choice.

Last edited by vampiregrave; 02-14-2013 at 03:58 AM.
vampiregrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #33
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
There is a test file here which, among other things has some long paragraphs. I don't have a test with "widows: 0; orphans: 0", but that should be easy to add.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Ok, I was not clear. I just created it as an epub and renamed it as a kepub to see if it's going to work with the TR-1. In other words, this kepub is not coming from Kobo but from wikisource through me. Indeed, with the KT my "maldoror.kepub.epub" worked so well that I wanted to test it with the Sony. Of course, "she" was unable to take advantage to this "kobotisation"!
That explains it.

I put it on my Kobo Touch as an epub and a kepub. With the kepub renderer it looks very good. It looks good with the epub render except for all the extra paragraph breaks. I can't see a pattern for where the splits are occurring. And I am actually running beta firmware, so it doesn't look like it has been fixed for the next release.

By the way, I like the little bugs as separators. But, they look a little small on the Touch. The Glo has a higher resolution, so they would look smaller there. If it can be made a little bigger, it would be clearer what it was.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #35
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems that everyone here was as busy as I was!

@davidfor
Quote:
By the way, I like the little bugs as separators. But, they look a little small on the Touch.
David it was intended, because these bugs are like that in real life: in fact they are lice! And the illustration on the cover shows the same animal, "in all its splendor" . Anyway, I'll try just to see with a bigger size.

BTW, I made other tests with the .kepub format and, unfortunately, this not as good or comprehensive as I expected: by renaming the epub, some of the initial formatting no longer work.

Bom dia and thanks vampiregrave for your reply.

Would it be possible for you to post a sample of an epub not working correctly?

Playing with it, we might be able to find a solution.

Jellby, your reader_test_epub is usefull. In it, the long paragraph is as long as some in my own epub (around 2200 words).

JSWolf I'm sure you found it, but just have a look to "CHANT TROISIÈME", the first and last paragraph.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 AM   #36
vampiregrave
vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!vampiregrave will blow your mind, man!

Quote:
Bom dia and thanks vampiregrave for your reply.

Would it be possible for you to post a sample of an epub not working correctly?

Playing with it, we might be able to find a solution.
Im working on a new one right now; currently finishing the second chapter, and it should have some examples. I'll probably test it on my Glo first. After that i can post it here; it's in Portuguese but it doesn't really matter in this case.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #37
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Perfect!

My epub is in French a Portuguese one is nice.

Some long paragaphs and the CSS should suffice.

For my part, I consider the problem (long paragraphs) is solved, at least for now.

Hope to read you soon vampiregrave!

Last edited by Arios; 02-19-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
JSWolf I'm sure you found it, but just have a look to "CHANT TROISIÈME", the first and last paragraph.
I noticed that page 70 (or 71) there is a paragraph issue. There is a wide empty space at the end of screen (using Reader Library for Windows). I do plan on trying it again with widows and orphans turned off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #39
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Curious!

I just had a look on the epub with Sigil and I found no empty space. Please, could you also try with Sigil and give me specific references (no page number but perhaps pieces of text I can search for?)

Did you try with ADE? Maybe the empty space is a result of widows and orphans set to 0.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Curious!

I just had a look on the epub with Sigil and I found no empty space. Please, could you also try with Sigil and give me specific references (no page number but perhaps pieces of text I can search for?)

Did you try with ADE? Maybe the empty space is a result of widows and orphans set to 0.
I believe I solved the problem. Remove the page breaks from the CSS. It seems to work after that. There are 4 of them to be removed.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #41
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Code:
page-break-before: avoid;
yes you can erase these codes.
It was for another test.

BTW with the KT and the Sony I didn't see negative or positive effects with them enabled.

PS. your new avatar is nicer than the old one
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Code:
page-break-before: avoid;
yes you can erase these codes.
It was for another test.

BTW with the KT and the Sony I didn't see negative or positive effects with them enabled.

PS. your new avatar is nicer than the old one
Thanks about the avatar.

Did you try removing the page breaks from the CSS?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #43
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Yes I did, and actually there are not to be there.

But again, with the KT and the Sony all seem the same with or without.

Last edited by Arios; 02-21-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes I did, and actually there are not to be there.

But again, with the KT and the Sony all seem the same with or without.

(Jon are you a linux user? I have a dual boot with LMDE and it's a rock solid distro).
I used ADE on Windows 7 to view this.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #45
vampiregrave

Here's the file i promised. I noticed several breaks while testing:
Attached Files
File Type: epub A Ilustre Casa de Ramires.epub (225.0 KB, 214 views)