Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

Kindle 3 Webkit browser doesn't start

I messed around with the browser as soon as I got my Kindle today, and everything looked ok. I tried recently and found that the "launch browser" link to be unresponsive. After clicking on that link, I'm not able to click anything else on that page.

Sometimes I can press home and can get the main menu, but other times, the Kindle will reboot itself.

This only seems to happen after unsuccessfully trying to open the web browser.

Has anyone else noticed any strangeness like this?
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
No.

Try factory resetting it.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
It seems to be working ok for me.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
ylsul
Connoisseur

I finally did a restart (from one of the menus) and that seemed to fix things.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:30 AM   #5
lanfearl
lanfearl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3

just want to let you know I had the exact same issue. I launched the browser .. it worked fine...

then I tried again later and it wouldn't load. wouldn't let me do anything but reset.

How did you reset it in the menus to get it to stop? I just haven't used the webbrowser since because restarting was annoying.
lanfearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Is your Kindle still indexing? I've found that running the browser or the game apps while it's indexing invites crashes.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
ylsul
Connoisseur

To restart, go to settings and then press the menu button. The restart option is there. My feeling so far is that the k3 software is a bit buggy, but I'm sure a patch will come out eventually.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylsul View Post
I messed around with the browser as soon as I got my Kindle today, and everything looked ok. I tried recently and found that the "launch browser" link to be unresponsive. After clicking on that link, I'm not able to click anything else on that page.

Sometimes I can press home and can get the main menu, but other times, the Kindle will reboot itself.

This only seems to happen after unsuccessfully trying to open the web browser.

Has anyone else noticed any strangeness like this?
Same thing happened to me on first startup. The first time it launched okay, but when I went back to read a book, and tried to start the browser, it froze. The only way to get out of it is to go to home and then restart. That seemed to do the trick for me.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Haven't seen a browser bug so far. However I was able to load and use fully functional AJAX Gmail interface. This rocks!
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser crash