Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
dashto
dashto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Kobo Keeps Syncing Closed Books Back to Open

Hey there folks,

My Kobo Reader keeps syncing books back to 'I'm Reading' status after I have finished them. Two books in particular keep going back to open. Any idea how I can resolve this?

Thanks!
Ian
dashto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
Diana D
Diana D began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Mine does the same thing - I emailed Kobo about it and the response I got was, basically, the only way to stop that from happening is to move completed books to the "Deleted" folder in your account on the Kobo website. Apparently you can keep them in there for 30 days without losing them forever.

That seems kind of unfair (forcing me to choose between paying for a book and then losing it for good OR going through a time-consuming and clutter-making re-sync every time I update my library). Haven't heard back yet.
Diana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana D View Post
Mine does the same thing - I emailed Kobo about it and the response I got was, basically, the only way to stop that from happening is to move completed books to the "Deleted" folder in your account on the Kobo website. Apparently you can keep them in there for 30 days without losing them forever.

That seems kind of unfair (forcing me to choose between paying for a book and then losing it for good OR going through a time-consuming and clutter-making re-sync every time I update my library). Haven't heard back yet.
You won't lose the book, you'll always have the book in your purchase history which is i guess an archive of sorts. It will just be out of your library.
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
Mine does it too. The desktop app re-sync's all of my books that I've purchased from them and I have to "finish" the book to get off the list. Kobo's response to me was that it shouldn't be happening and that they were hoping that whenever they released an update that it would be fixed.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Diana D
Diana D began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
You won't lose the book, you'll always have the book in your purchase history which is i guess an archive of sorts. It will just be out of your library.
That's encouraging! I've "deleted" a couple books I didn't love and won't be depressed to lose, just to try it out - but this is good to know. Thanks!
Diana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
maxwelledison
maxwelledison began at the beginning.

Also, I've found any new books I put on the Kobo end up in my 'I'm Reading list'. So I've always got about 60 books sitting in that list.

max...
maxwelledison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelledison View Post
Also, I've found any new books I put on the Kobo end up in my 'I'm Reading list'. So I've always got about 60 books sitting in that list.

max...
The Kobo seems to put all newly added books into the "I'm Reading" list but after a power cycle or two they will drop out of that list as long as you do not open them.

I guess the assumption was that we would only add books that we were going to read right away. Silly assumptions.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I have a bit of a different problem. I deleted all my books from the "I'm Reading" section on the website, but now I want to re-read one of those books and can't get it back on to the reader. The only option (I think) is to download the epub and use ADE, unfortunately I've never used ADE and don't know what to do with it. Is there any way to get the books back into the "I'm reading" list using kobo's website?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I have a bit of a different problem. I deleted all my books from the "I'm Reading" section on the website, but now I want to re-read one of those books and can't get it back on to the reader. The only option (I think) is to download the epub and use ADE, unfortunately I've never used ADE and don't know what to do with it. Is there any way to get the books back into the "I'm reading" list using kobo's website?
Yeah, you just have to select the "Purchased" button (next to "I'm Reading" at the top of your Library), click the box next to the book you want to re-add to the reading list, and then click the "Bookmark" button at the top. Any bookmarked book will automatically be moved to "I'm Reading" and will go on your reader at the next Update Library / Sync.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
Yeah, you just have to select the "Purchased" button (next to "I'm Reading" at the top of your Library), click the box next to the book you want to re-add to the reading list, and then click the "Bookmark" button at the top. Any bookmarked book will automatically be moved to "I'm Reading" and will go on your reader at the next Update Library / Sync.
I'm such a loser, thanks
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I'm such a loser, thanks
Everyone tries to figure that out when they get their new Kobo!
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
keitharrowsmith
keitharrowsmith began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Possible work around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashto View Post
Hey there folks,

My Kobo Reader keeps syncing books back to 'I'm Reading' status after I have finished them. Two books in particular keep going back to open. Any idea how I can resolve this?

Thanks!
Ian
Hi - I had this problem - but fixed it after checking that the date / time settings on the Kobo. After resetting these to the correct settings, the syncing worked fine.
keitharrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
jwest77
jwest77 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitharrowsmith View Post
Hi - I had this problem - but fixed it after checking that the date / time settings on the Kobo. After resetting these to the correct settings, the syncing worked fine.
I've been experiencing this for a long time and your solution worked for me. Just in case, I set the Kobo a minute ahead of my computer. I suspect adjusting for when Daylight Savings Time goes off in the Fall is needed--or just set the device to DST +1 minute and you should be good all year. Thanks.
jwest77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Another thing to note is that Free books do not show up in the "Purchased" section so those do go to the delete area and disappear after a certain time.. As long as the free book continues to exist at the Kobo site you can always select it again later.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote