Device: eeepc 901
Xmas Launch for UK Kindle ?

Slashgear today reports this is a strong possibility:
http://www.slashgear.com/amazons-uk-...ipped-1549444/
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If it's true it's great news! I especially found interesting the part where U.K. negotiations broke down 6 months ago, just like the German negotiations recently but it seems they've found another way via WiFi.

Have faith those of you outside the U.S.

Thanks for sharing!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I wonder if the available booklist will be different for people outside of the US? I'm assuming the Kindle is US only because of problems dealing with copyright and getting overseas publishers to sign on. Will it be flagged as a 'uk' kindle and only able to access the uk approved material?

We will see!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Will it be flagged as a 'uk' kindle and only able to access the uk approved material?
This will almost certainly be the case. US Kindle's won't be able to buy from the UK Kindle Store, and UK Kindles won't be able to buy from the US Kindle Store. It isn't clear what fraction of the current Kindle ebooks are actually US-only though, the standard Amazon DTP contract grants worldwide non-exclusive rights for example. On the other hand it is safe to assume that books with US and UK hardback publishers will typically need two ebook versions, and at least initially the US publisher is more likely to be in a position to provide an ebook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I wonder if the available booklist will be different for people outside of the US? I'm assuming the Kindle is US only because of problems dealing with copyright and getting overseas publishers to sign on. Will it be flagged as a 'uk' kindle and only able to access the uk approved material?

We will see!
It will be different content. Amazon has said before that one of the big things holding up the Kindle being released outside the US was lack of available ebooks from publishers in the UK, Germany, etc. They wanted to be able to launch with a large number like they did when the K1 released in the US.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I wonder if the available booklist will be different for people outside of the US? I'm assuming the Kindle is US only because of problems dealing with copyright and getting overseas publishers to sign on.
No, it has absolutely nothing to do with copyright. It's a matter of distribution contracts. Unlike, say, music, where the major record companies operate world-wide, most book publishers only publish a book in a restricted "territory" - specifically, many books have different UK and US publishers; the US publisher is not allowed to sell in the UK and the UK publisher is not allowed to sell in the US.

Quote:
Will it be flagged as a 'uk' kindle and only able to access the uk approved material?
Almost without doubt, yes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't see the point of changing my prs-505 to the Kindle UK. Unless Amazon sell ebooks cheaper then most online site that sell to the UK.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Hell, I've found that I can get a whole lot of UK ePubs for a buck or two less than I can in the states. And that's after the 3% currency conversion fee.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario View Post
I don't see the point of changing my prs-505 to the Kindle UK. Unless Amazon sell ebooks cheaper then most online site that sell to the UK.
They'd struggle to make them more expensive! Hopefully the competition will be the best news about this announcement.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
JayCeeEll
Connoisseur
JayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litterJayCeeEll doesn't litter

Device: PRS-300
This is great news, the more readers available the greater the downwards pressure on price.

Hopefully Amazon will do a better job of mainstream advertisement than their competition, spurring uptake.

The initial higher price of the reader/books (this is the ripoff Britain after all) should be negated in the long term.
JayCeeEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Hopefully the competition will be the best news about this announcement.
I hope you right on the competition side. I already seen a lot of improvement in the ebooks for the UK market.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary;
Hell, I've found that I can get a whole lot of UK ePubs for a buck or two less than I can in the states. And that's after the 3% currency conversion fee.
Where?
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
melmurray
Enthusiast
melmurray began at the beginning.

And what about the rest of us in Europe? We need it over here in Ireland - in the land of saints and scholars. We'll even accept having a UK orientated product. If the carrier is O2 they operate here.
melmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Where?
Straying way OT, but just about everything I've looked up on the WHSmith ebook site comes out about $1 cheaper after conversion. Of course, this is after their "25% off all ebooks" promo, which I'm not sure whether it's only temporary or if it's an ongoing thing. Last weekend I ended up purchasing several books from them (no problems purchasing from the States). I've also seen several books that are cheaper on the Waterstones site, but I haven't actually signed up or bought anything there yet. I will in another few weeks, once I've finished with the books I have.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
If this is true,that's great news-it however briefly makes me a little sad- someone who would've loved this device as a gift,passed away at the end of last year-and it made me distinctly remember a conversation we had about the Kindle-and I wish I'd even gotten him a US one and loaded it with stuff here and sent it to him...
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote