Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-24-2008, 03:38 AM   #31
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
And conversion software that didn't trash my formatting. And that made pdfs that would reflow properly without huge files. All-in-one, spit out all formats. Which I could afford.

Think I'll see that soon?
Need more input about the formats you use
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #32
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Downloaded Neptune Crossing in MS Reader format, ran it through Calibre, and now have a gorgeous lrf for my Sony Reader

I wasn't familiar with Jeffrey Carver's works, but I've started reading the novel and like what I see, and I'm looking forward to purchasing his novels and spreading the good word. I think this is a fantastic method of enticing someone to read a particular author, and a potentially profitable one!

Tim
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm working on the LRF from the HTML.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #34
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm actually not surprised the e-Reads versions on Fictionwise aren't selling that well. They generally price their e-books at $8.99 when most mass market paperbacks sell for $7.99.

It might be interesting to see how the e-Reads books that are on Webscriptions are selling because they dropped the price to $6.00 which most people here consider a much more appropriate price for an e-Book.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #35
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Well, blast. Last night I discovered an error in the original Word file, which made it into all my other formats except the PDF. !%$#!@% hidden text in Word put a line of code in the middle of the book.

I've corrected it in the Mobi, html, and RTF versions online, so purists (or those doing conversions) might want to redownload. Sorry about that. I'll get to the eReader version today, I hope. And I'm also trying to get a new PDF file that looks right (as the current one does) and reflows text right for a small screen (as the current one does not).

Jeff
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #36
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I'm actually not surprised the e-Reads versions on Fictionwise aren't selling that well. They generally price their e-books at $8.99 when most mass market paperbacks sell for $7.99.
A fact that annoys me greatly, and I've talked to them about it. But I haven't been able to influence the pricing.

Quote:
It might be interesting to see how the e-Reads books that are on Webscriptions are selling because they dropped the price to $6.00 which most people here consider a much more appropriate price for an e-Book.
There are e-Reads books on Webscriptions? I didn't know that. Not mine, apparently.

I agree, $6 is a much more appropriate price.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #37
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Thanks, Timoleon! I hope you enjoy the whole series.

Tirsales, not sure what you were asking, re formats. I'm going from Word to all the ebook formats I have time to manage. (And actually, these three books all started as WordStar files, so converting cleanly to Word had its pitfalls.)

I found that Mobi Creator trashes vertical spacing unless you perform the right incantation. Eventually I stumbled across exporting from Word to "compact html" (using a plugin in Word 2000) and using that as a starting point, and that got around that problem. But adding metadata was another problem area, which I only learned the solution to last night when someone in an email told me you have to hit Update after every single field you enter in the metadata screen. Actually, most of the problems I had in Mobi Creator could have been solved early by decent Help files. (Though I gave up on creating a ToC when I discovered that Word styles don't survive the conversion--so a heading style, for example, would lose centering and bold format. I finally took all the styles out, which consumed another hour or two.)

I could go on, but I won't.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #38
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Grrr. Found two more strings of hidden text, only in two of the files. Re-uploaded the RTF and the eReader, once more. (Sigh.)
Old 08-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #39
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

And the Mobipocket. PDF not affected.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, blast. Last night I discovered an error in the original Word file, which made it into all my other formats except the PDF. !%$#!@% hidden text in Word put a line of code in the middle of the book.

I've corrected it in the Mobi, html, and RTF versions online, so purists (or those doing conversions) might want to redownload. Sorry about that. I'll get to the eReader version today, I hope. And I'm also trying to get a new PDF file that looks right (as the current one does) and reflows text right for a small screen (as the current one does not).

Jeff
When I got to chapter 15 in formatting, I noticed some text that made no sense. So I looked it up in the HTML and found it and the code to tell the web browser not to display it. I then searched for that code and removed all the text that should not be there. So once I'm done, it won't have the extra text in the LRF.

In Chapter 2, there is are three occurrences of // that should be ///.
In Chapter 15, there is an occurrence of //// that should be ///.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:40 PM   #41
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Augghh! Thanks for the info on the ///////'s. Yet another round. But I'll wait until I hear if there are more.

You'll find two more instances of lines that make no sense, at the beginning of Ch. 16, and the end.

"Previous Julie..." and
"SETS W..."

They're removed from the files I just put up.

So that's why I didn't see the errors in the html. Were they commented out?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Augghh! Thanks for the info on the ///////'s. Yet another round. But I'll wait until I hear if there are more.

You'll find two more instances of lines that make no sense, at the beginning of Ch. 16, and the end.

"Previous Julie..." and
"SETS W..."

They're removed from the files I just put up.

So that's why I didn't see the errors in the HTML. Were they commented out?
Search for display:none and then you'll see the text that is telling the browser not to display. Then you can see what needs to be removed.

I found a ` that should be a ' in the HTML at the beginning of chapter 4. I've replaced all the quotes and apostrophes with the curly type so it will look better in the LRF. That's how I found it. There is only one of these.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #43
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
By the way, I do also want to say thanks-- I started reading your work with the Infinity Link and while I haven't read everything, I have given you money.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:30 AM   #44
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Okay--sorry, everyone. I'll be uploading yet another corrected version tomorrow. In working on Strange Attractors (book 2), I finally learned how to search for hidden text in Word. (It's a font attribute.) Went back and found still more in Neptune Crossing. (Leftover comment-to-self text from the old WordStar files.)

What a nuisance.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:12 AM   #45
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Thanks a lot for sharing, always willing to try sci-fi might have a new buyer for your upcoming book
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote