Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #166
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
https://play.google.com/store/search...etector&c=apps

can try one of these. should find the offending app
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #167
jerez
jerez began at the beginning.

Hi, I have an Arc which I bought just before Christmas, and have just noticed that it has two pieces of dust between the glass and the LCD. I was wondering if this was fixable, or what I should do about it. Thanks for any help!
jerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #168
kindle88
kindle88 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Google+ no longer compatible with Kobo Arc

Just realized that the latest Google+ update is no longer compatible with the Kobo Arc. How unfortunate!
kindle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #169
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
What has happened to the Kobo devs on here? Seems last time they posted was before Christmas, and three months later still nothing.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #170
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
What has happened to the Kobo devs on here? Seems last time they posted was before Christmas, and three months later still nothing.
I almost wonder if Kobo suggested to all their staff to avoid getting active on these forums... There has been a similar drop in interaction with the eReader developers.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #171
kindle88

Fongo phone app update no longer compatible

Another app I use quite often - Fongo phone app - no longer compatible with Kobo Arc with its latest update.

Though I understand the Kobo Arc is more of a device for reading, still it's not a good sign that more apps becoming incompatible with the device.

Perhaps I should have bought the Nexus 7 instead.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #172
kindle88

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I almost wonder if Kobo suggested to all their staff to avoid getting active on these forums... There has been a similar drop in interaction with the eReader developers.
Perhaps they are super busy working on the Jelly Bean update for the Kobo Arc.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #173
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle88 View Post
Perhaps they are super busy working on the Jelly Bean update for the Kobo Arc.
By the time Jelly Bean becomes available, Chocolate Chip or whatever will be out. Sighhhhhh.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #174
chattylibrarian
chattylibrarian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle88 View Post
Perhaps I should have bought the Nexus 7 instead.
That's what I did. I sold my Arc a week ago.
chattylibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #175
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The irony would be someone commenting to comment that they can simply say "No comment"

So, "No Comment"

Seriously though, and this could be vague for obvious reasons, the devs could just be rather busy on upcoming things, with tight deadlines and whatnot.

I have not, as yet, been told to stop posting, and I don't think I've shared anything that reveals anything that should not be revealed, and I'm not the type to do so on a public forum. I will admit there are times when I could post certain things, and hold back because it could reveal things perhaps the company does not want revealed (mainly the intricacies of how some mechanisms work). It can sometimes be a fine line.

I've been slightly quiet of late as I have been rather busy, and so as mentioned above, I'd not be shocked if the other teams are in the same position.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #176
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sharkus given that it appears you are a Kobo employee surely you must see that the lack of response by kobo on this forum to customers questions and the resulting negative impression to those looking for a reason to buy kobo is not in the best interests of the company. This forum seems to be the main point of contact on the internet for people looking for info to buy and probably are finding more reason not to buy.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #177
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
Sharkus given that it appears you are a Kobo employee surely you must see that the lack of response by kobo on this forum to customers questions and the resulting negative impression to those looking for a reason to buy kobo is not in the best interests of the company. This forum seems to be the main point of contact on the internet for people looking for info to buy and probably are finding more reason not to buy.
Hello,
Yes, I do work for Kobo. I'll firstly reference the disclaimer in my signature, as what I am about to say is personal and not to be taken as the opinion of my employer.

I can only speak for myself, but I am here because I wanted to be here. There has never been any pressure from Kobo for me to be here, or to post here. I've also not be told / forced to post anything.

I come here when I want to, I do not sit here monitoring posts / threads. It is not part of my job to post here, or view things here.

I would think the same is also true for most, if not all of the other employee's who are on here too.

What could be needed is an official Kobo Customer Care representative on MobileRead, to pick up and answer questions. That's not my decision to make however, and it's possible it is something Kobo does not want to do (again I'll reference my disclaimer here - that's my personal opinion, possibly not Kobo's) for whatever reason, perhaps because we already have Customer Care channels and that's where things should be directed if a response is required.

I cannot say how wide ranging the view of MobileRead is (no offence intended towards MobileRead) insofar as it being a main point of contact for people looking to purchase eReader devices, maybe it is, maybe there are other forums / sites that are more active in regards to this type of thing.

If we have official representation here, then who is to say we should not have it on other forums, and this then adds to the amount of work that is required by the customer care team.

One question would be, Do Sony, Amazon, B&N, and other eReader device and App companies have official representation on here? If not, then why don't they?

Hopefully my reply has not offended you, that is certainly not the aim
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #178
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
To my mind it's sad to see folks come and promise to answer questions, and then, just disappear.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #179
stevov
Groupie

No offence taken mate . If you check back on my previous posts on this forum I have already suggested that kobo appoint people to monitor internet forums to answer peoples questions. As to Sony amazon etc having people is irrelevant. People know who they are. I had never heard of kobo until November of past year and I am on a few tech sites. When I searched on the internet the only forum for kobo is here at mobile read. There is a thread on xda and a few reviews on the good read site.the vast majority of kobo users going by this forum are Canadian which would indicate that kobo is more regional than international, atleast concerning hardware. It was kobo employees who came on here and declared where are my arc people and ask me anything to which we reply where are our kobo people and can they answer anything. If Kobo wants to be a Sony, kindle, amazon etc name then they need to put a little effort into it.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #180
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
I cannot say how wide ranging the view of MobileRead is (no offence intended towards MobileRead) insofar as it being a main point of contact for people looking to purchase eReader devices, maybe it is, maybe there are other forums / sites that are more active in regards to this type of thing.
Mobileread is, and has been, the primary place on the internet to get detailed information about ereaders, ebooks, and ereading apps. The only other place that comes close is Teleread--and that's a blog site, not a discussion-with-archives site.

Christmas morning, for the last three years running, Mobileread is *flooded* with new ereader owners asking how to use their devices. The three months before that have a steady flow of people asking "what device should I get my [husband/ girlfriend/ child/ coworker]?" Year-round, there are questions of "my device isn't doing what I think it should; how do I fix that?" And the regulars, who constantly discuss devices and books and changes in the publishing industries and copyright law, answer all those questions as best they can.

There are no comparable large, active communities online. (Feel free to contradict me; I can't claim to know the entire web. I can claim that I've actively looked for ebook communities; this isn't just the best one I've found, it's the only one that covers hardware, software and content in depth.)

This place is a *gold mine* of information and PR opportunities for any company that wants to sell ebooks, ereaders, or ebook software. This is not where the average person who reads ebooks hangs out--it's where the people who give them advice hang out.

Quote:
If we have official representation here, then who is to say we should not have it on other forums, and this then adds to the amount of work that is required by the customer care team.
There's a big difference between "should we have a presence on forums A, B, C, etc.," and "should we *maintain* the presence we started at Mobileread?" The issue here isn't whether or not there is an official presence, but that one was offered, and then rescinded.

Nobody at MR cares that Amazon's never had an official Kindle rep here. They do care when company representatives show up, say "I'm here to answer your questions!" and then vanish, apparently after realizing that Mobileread's membership has *real* questions, not "where can I buy the newest device" or "how do I buy a book from a different store and get it to work on my device?"

Someone at Kobo decided it'd be a good idea to answer customer and potential-customer questions directly and publicly. And then they decided to stop. They didn't say, "it's been two months and we're done with this phase of public outreach." A developer said he'd answer questions, but was present for less than two weeks before vanishing without explanation.

*That* tells me that Kobo doesn't follow through on its commitments. That Kobo thinks it's okay to tell the public that they'll do something, and then decide not to bother.

Quote:
One question would be, Do Sony, Amazon, B&N, and other eReader device and App companies have official representation on here? If not, then why don't they?
EZReader did. Their devices sold while he was here, even at higher prices than some of the others at the time; people bought EZReader devices in part because they knew someone from the company was paying attention and could answer questions. He couldn't fix problems, but he could, and apparently did, report back to the company, "X is a situation that customers care about."

They replaced him with someone who wanted to focus on Facebook. Soon after that, they stopped selling the Pocket Pro, and later, the larger device. The Astak EZReader line is now obsolete, no longer supported.

Again: the issue isn't "device manufacturers should have reps at Mobileread." It's "companies that offer to answer questions at Mobileread, and then stop, are telling an awfully large crowd of ebook experts that they don't care about PR."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ama, developers corner, kobo arc