Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #211
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@flomet: No need to uninstall anything, the 5.3.0 update (unfortunately) takes care of that for us... .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #212
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Released USBNet v0.5.N, to fix the login issue with OpenSSH on 5.3.0 .
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #213
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Can I just confirm, even though I had the jailbreak from a couple of weeks ago, once the kindle is updated to 5.3 I am no longer jb? Figures, I waited until the as hack came out, got my ss size fixed up at last and now can't use them.

I saw on Amazon's web they were advertising James bond and the kindle showed a James bond screensaver. How can they do that when they block people from doing that?
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #214
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Can I just confirm, even though I had the jailbreak from a couple of weeks ago, once the kindle is updated to 5.3 I am no longer jb? Figures, I waited until the as hack came out, got my ss size fixed up at last and now can't use them.

I saw on Amazon's web they were advertising James bond and the kindle showed a James bond screensaver. How can they do that when they block people from doing that?
If you updated to 5.3.0 without the Jailbreak bridge, you will need to use the serial port angry letters to amazon to regain control of your kindle.

Hopefully, we will find a way to fix a kindle with 5.3.0 without opening the case. Until then, open it and use the serial port.

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-12-2012 at 09:39 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #215
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
No logins allowed on the Kpw serial port with a stock 5.3.0
No easily apparent way to modify the kernel command line options (like, to instert: rdinit=/bin/ash or anything else interesting).

For more info - see recent https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=87

They seem to be trying to lockdown serial access also.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #216
csunflip
csunflip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Confirming update to 5.3:

After I install the bridge and update to 5.3, I do not need to re-run the jb kindle-jailbreak-1.7.N.zip correct?
csunflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #217
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csunflip View Post
Confirming update to 5.3:

After I install the bridge and update to 5.3, I do not need to re-run the jb kindle-jailbreak-1.7.N.zip correct?
Correct.
That is the purpose of the "bridge" to carry the installed jailbreak across the update process.

NOTE: You **do not** "run the zip" - you unpack the zip and choose the appropriate files inside of it for your machine.
(Just mentioned in case the poster actual meant what they wrote.)
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #218
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
So, if I am now still on 5.2 (not jailbroken) and I want to upgrade, then I shall do the following:
1. Install 1.7 N jailbreak
2. Update to 5.3 using USB cable
3. Can now install any working hack like custom screen saver

I need to confirm that, above simple steps will ensure that PW will be upgraded to 5.3 without getting locked.
Waiting prior to start the upgrade.

Thanks

Last edited by kim1406; 11-14-2012 at 02:04 PM.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #219
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1406 View Post
So, if I am now still on 5.2 (not jailbreaked) and I want to upgrade, then I shall do the following:
1. Install 1.7 N jailbreak
2. Update to 5.3 using USB cable
3. Can now install any working hack like custom screen saver

I need to confirm that, above simple steps will ensure that PW will be upgraded to 5.3 without getting locked.
Waiting prior to start the upgrade.

Thanks
In principle, yes. 1) and 2) should work, so you'd end up with a jailbroken 5.3.0.

Concerning 3), I'm not aware of any published way of accomplishing it, but it should be possible. (That is, I personally consider the screensaver replacement "ultra-low priority", so I'm simply not keeping an eye on that topic).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #220
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kim1406:

What ixtab said . Although, to be extra safe, I'd insert 'install the bridge' between 1. & 2. (Technically, the jailbreak [since v1.7.N, at least] should take care of it, but you never know ^^).

And 3., yep, everything I released has now been tested on 5.3.0, since that's what I'm running too .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-14-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #221
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
ixtab & NiLuJe,

thanks for your fast replies, I've just upgraded the same way, and YES I applied the bridge between steps 1 & 2. Everything goes smooth and now I'm running V.5.3.

thanks again.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #222
M1B
M1B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quick N00B question as I can't seem to find the answer in any other thread. Just got a new Paperwhite and it's 5.2. Should I run Jailbreak and Bridge BEFORE registering the device or after? I ask because I don't want to register and get the 5.3 pushed out to me and be screwed. So can I register the device AFTER applying Jailbreak and Bridge to 5.2 or do I need to do it beforehand? I assumed I'd do the 5.3 upgrade as the last step.
M1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #223
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1B View Post
Quick N00B question as I can't seem to find the answer in any other thread. Just got a new Paperwhite and it's 5.2. Should I run Jailbreak and Bridge BEFORE registering the device or after? I ask because I don't want to register and get the 5.3 pushed out to me and be screwed. So can I register the device AFTER applying Jailbreak and Bridge to 5.2 or do I need to do it beforehand? I assumed I'd do the 5.3 upgrade as the last step.
Remain in airplane mode to avoid having the update forced on you.

Run Jailbreak
Run Bridge
At this point it does not matter if they force the update on you.
So you can register before or after the update to 5.3.0 by either yourself or by Amazon.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #224
M1B
M1B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Thank you! Exactly what I needed to know. That's what I figured but I thought I should double-check.
M1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #225
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Well, Amazon updated my Paperwhite without asking me first, so I'm here to see if there's really a way to get the Jailbreak and then Collections Manager back on this using the serial port? What sort of cable will I need to make to get the serial port working?

*EDIT Found the info that the serial port is just 2 solder pads on the motherboard. I can work with that. So now the question is just whether I can actually install the jailbreak that way.

Last edited by awh_tokyo; 11-15-2012 at 05:31 PM.
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch