Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 02-24-2022, 12:14 PM   #1
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hi Reader Pro, Page, Tab Ultra C, Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
Yiben p47L (new pocket reader)

This video claims this is smallest and lightest ereader:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=oqFmITJ_PW0

Sounds like it's lighter than an InkPalm, and the screen is smaller. The case seems bigger though.

The main thing I like about it is it seems to have no additional layers above the e-ink. So should be matte and relatively clear.

The case design seems a bit clunky, and I'm guessing it doesn't have a touchscreen or Android. But might be an interesting alternative to an InkPalm or Hisense Touch.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:02 PM   #2
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
This video claims this is smallest and lightest ereader:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=oqFmITJ_PW0

Sounds like it's lighter than an InkPalm, and the screen is smaller. The case seems bigger though.

The main thing I like about it is it seems to have no additional layers above the e-ink. So should be matte and relatively clear.

The case design seems a bit clunky, and I'm guessing it doesn't have a touchscreen or Android. But might be an interesting alternative to an InkPalm or Hisense Touch.
That looks bigger in every dimension then the InkPalm. Without an actual spec sheet or dimensions though it can be deceiving. The InkPalm is almost iPhone 4 lvls small.

Edit: didn't see you own one forget the size comparison lol. Also why didn't they show any book on it. That is a pretty low res screen but epaper probably matter.

Edit it's 136x75x7.4mm vs the mini at 143.5 x 76.6 x 6.9mm so looks large in the video is all.

Last edited by rvcjew; 02-24-2022 at 01:22 PM.
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2022, 01:28 PM   #3
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The low RAM and the supported formats make me think it uses some junk like FB- or CoolReader (and maybe RMSDK for EPUB2 books). Probably buggy firmware also.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:44 PM   #4
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'That looks bigger in every dimension then the InkPalm' I think he's just got small hands

MicroUSB and no touchscreen is pretty nasty on a 2022 ereader.

Hadn't noticed how low the ram is, it's much less than a Kindle. So even if it isn't running Android I'm guessing it will be sluggish.

Still interested to find out more about it though.

Last edited by rowe; 02-24-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:48 PM   #5
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
'That looks bigger in every dimension then the InkPalm' I think he's just got small hands

MicroUSB and no touchscreen is pretty nasty on a 2022 ereader.

Hadn't noticed how low the ram is, it's much less than a Kindle. So even if it isn't running Android I'm guessing it will be sluggish.

Still interested to find out more about it though. If it doesn't support remote page turners (which I doubt it does) it's ruled out for me.
Idk how you can see such a tiny screen these days my eyes are shot in that regard lol.
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2022, 04:53 AM   #6
rowe
Zealot

This Danish site is selling it to the EU:
https://ebookreader.dk/shop/y-ben-p4...ser-1121p.html

No light/wifi/bluetooth/touchscreen

Google translate of the description...

The market's smallest & lightest ebook reader!
Perfect for the traveler.

This compact ebook reader is the ultimate choice when it comes to portability.
With its mere 13cm on the long side and only 100 grams, it is like being born to be carried in the pocket of your trousers or disappear in a bag.
Wherever you are, in the waiting room at the doctor's, airport or platform, you just pull this ebook reader out of your pocket and start reading.
Better than mobile phones or tablets, it is as if the waiting time becomes a short moment.
It is always at hand.
And although it is the lightest and smallest ebook reader on the market, it is also one of the largest.
With a full 4GB of memory, there is room for approx. 6,000 ebooks - more than enough. Imagine having a mini-library in your pocket, ready to read anytime.

Outside in the sun is best.
eBookReader Y-Ben compact ebook reader out in the sun
With a nice clear and distinct e-ink screen, without disturbing light nuisance from mobile phones or tablets and reading outside, it is as born to.

No WiFI, no Bluetooth and no interference.
If you miss getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and just want to immerse yourself in your book without disturbing notifications, calls, beeps and blips, then this ebook reader is the perfect choice.

REMEMBER to buy a charger for the ebook reader as only one cable is included in the package.
eBookReader USB eBook Reader Charger Kit
You can buy a charger set here.

The lightest ebook reader on the market at 100 grams
As light as approx. 2 eggs, the Y-Ben ebook reader is the lightest ebook reader you will hold in your hand.
But small and light does not mean that the features have been compromised.
Push buttons for scrolling and navigating around also make it easy to use.

SPECIFICATIONS:

eBookReader Y-Ben compact ebook reader specifications
HARDWARE
Screen - 4.7 "E-ink screen
Resolution - 960 x 540 - 300PPI
Colors - 16 shades of gray
Touch screen - no
Processor - RK2818 - ARM + DSP 600MHz
Storage memory - 4GB
Built-in light - No.
Battery capacity - 350mAh Li-Polymer battery
Battery charging - USB Port by computer. NOT QUICKCHARGE compatible.
Wi-Fi - No.
BlueTooth - No.
Connection - Micro USB 2.0
Buttons - On / Off / Scroll up / down / forward / back / OK / M / Refresh / refresh

SOFTWARE
Operating system - Ucos
Document formats - PDF, EPUB, TXT, DJVU, HTML, RTF, FB2, DOC, MOBI, CHM, PRC
Images formats - PNG, JPG, TIFF, BMP

GOAL
126.6 x 67.5 x 5.98 mm

WEIGHT
≤ 100 grams
Old 02-25-2022, 05:54 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Is it actually an eInk brand screen?
Quote:
Screen - 4.7 "E-ink screen
Resolution - 960 x 540 - 300PPI
The 5" Sony PRS-350 and 5" Kobo mini were both 800 x600. (4:3 aspect, 200 dpi. The old 6" 800 x 600 eReaders are 167 dpi)
It's 5.3:3 approx = 16:9, which while typical for a phone or tablet now to suit video, might be a less good aspect ratio for ebooks?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #8
rowe
Zealot

The ratio is similar to the InkPalm and Hisense A5. Both of which I preferred on a small reader. It's a bit like reading newspaper columns.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:48 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The ratio is similar to the InkPalm and Hisense A5. Both of which I preferred on a small reader. It's a bit like reading newspaper columns.
Yes, it's a little like newspaper or some bibles. My ancient 4.3" Android phone is useable when I've nothing else to read. Not sure if 16:9, but certainly that direction.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #10
rowe
Zealot

My hands on review...

The Y-Ben is extremely basic, it’s like a very early e-reader but miniaturised and with a modern screen.

I’m comparing against the Xiaomi InkPalm here as I think the InkPalm has been the best pocket reader since it was released in early 2021…

Y-Ben advantages:
- Lighter (100g vs 115g) so more comfortable to hold during long reading sessions
- Smaller
- Doesn’t really need a case to protect the screen as it’s recessed (so practically it’s significantly lighter and smaller)
- Matte screen finish (the InkPalm screen is gloss - it comes with a matte protector but it makes the screen less sharp)
- I think the battery life will be much better (much more lightweight OS and feature set)
- Can be switched to English in the user settings (the InkPalm needs a little hacking)

InkPalm advantages:
- Modern industrial design (the Yi-ben feels very 90s)
- Better software (you can install any Android reading app)
- Front-light
- Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth
- Larger screen (5.2 vs 4.7)
- Higher resolution screen (284 vs 235ppi)
- Modern USB-C connector (Y-Ben is micro USB)

The reader software on the Y-Ben is so basic that to change the font, text alignment, or line-height to your preferences you have to make the amends off device. I’m using Calibre to do that - a bit of a pig to setup but fairly easy to apply to other books once you’re happy with the settings.

I’d prefer to not have the top info bar present on the Y-Ben when reading (it shows the book title, time, battery level, page number, and page count). This isn’t changeable in the user settings. I might try to hack this

Direct from the factory in China the unit cost is $68. Postage to the UK was $80 by Fedex. I was quoted 3-5 days - it actually took nearly a month but the delay was mainly due to Covid lockdowns in China. They don’t have e-commerce, you email johnsontj@5v-china.com and can pay via paypal with buyer protection selected (he seems a nice guy - helpful and responsive).

I’ve already read a few chapters on the Y-Ben and quite like it. It might wear off, but there’s actually something charming about it being so basic. I’m planning on using it as my main pocket reader ongoing, and just using the InkPalm as a bedside reader.

Comparison image on a cross-post to reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ereader/com...nds_on_review/

Last edited by rowe; 04-08-2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #11
ragzy
ragzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
So, are you still using it @Rowe?

Thoughts and my background:

I've only managed to find this review and 2 on youtube.

I didn't think there where any alternatives out there to my crumbling Kobo Mini (yes, the plastic is literally falling apart, but I haven't bought any other device since I started searching here and settled for the Kobo Mini. So It's lasted a long time (still working, with tape holding the back part there, I do like to easy tear down for repairs, but when the plastic starts aging repairs get tougher).

I don't think I'd like a device that is more like a phone with a different screen, since I tend to drop my stuff a lot.

I really don't care about WiFi or Bluetooth because I side-load everything. If it's not from a big brand with it's own store, then that's a plus sine I dont want to be locked in. Not sure about touch screen, downside is buttons wear out and they disturb your partner if you want to read in bed.

Yeah, it could be a lot cheaper for what it is, but there is really not any competition, so because of that they can raise the price. Some bug fixes through firmware updates would have been nice though.

Questions:

Do they even have a homepage?

Are the side buttons for page turning as loud as the ones in the bottom?

Has anyone been able to order one in black?

Would have been nice with a video on how pocketable the device actually is.

Last edited by ragzy; 07-13-2022 at 01:46 PM.
ragzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:55 PM   #12
rowe
Zealot

'So, are you still using it @Rowe?'
A bit gutted my P47L stopped charging a couple of weeks ago so I've gone back to using an InkPalm full-time.

'I don't think I'd like a device that is more like a phone with a different screen, since I tend to drop my stuff a lot.'
A InkPalm plus case is pretty robust

'Do they even have a homepage?'
The official page for the P47 was nonsense. It was on http://5v-china.com which seems down at the moment and their official seller seems to have switched focus to e-cigarretes.

'Are the side buttons for page turning as loud as the ones in the bottom?'
They're quieter

'Would have been nice with a video on how pocketable the device actually is'
It's extremely pocketable. More so than any other ereader.

Last edited by rowe; 07-13-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:56 AM   #13
ragzy
ragzy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Oh, yes I saw that the seller on Facebook had announced that he started working with vaporizers. Too bad. Sorry to hear yours has already stopped charging. I'll just have to hope that my kobo mini lives a while longer. Maybe look into that inkpalm.

Thanx for the reply @rowe!
ragzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:26 AM   #14
KStock
KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.KStock figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Mini and Forma, Kindle Paperwhite, Yiben P47L
Available in the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzy View Post
Oh, yes I saw that the seller on Facebook had announced that he started working with vaporizers.
I have just bought one from Denmark. The cost was 595 DKK plus 150 DKK shipping to France, a total of roughly 100€ or $105. Delivered within two days.

https://ebookreader.dk/shop/y-ben-p4...ser-1121p.html

You will need to contact them by email as their web site does not handle international orders. André was very helpful and efficient.
KStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:44 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I have also ordered from Danmark. Ireland is also in EU, though Denmark doesn't yet use the Euro. Credit card was ECB rate + 2.64%.

I will compare it with the 5″ Sony PRS-350 (has touch), the old 6″ Kindle Keyboard 3, Kindle PW3 and the Kobo Libra (page turn buttons & touch).
I'll also compare with an old 4.3″ Android 4 Sony-Ericsson phone epub app and the 2″ 160x160 pixel Palm Z22.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-01-2022 at 06:47 AM.