Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
seg527
seg527 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Living abroad but someone in USA buying material

Hello! I am VERY interested in getting a Nook Color. I need to explain my situation, and then ask a few questions.

I am currently living in the Dominican Republic, but my credit card is registered in the USA with a USA billing address. From my research, I believe I can not purchase anything from BN.com from the Dominican Republic because of my IP address.

However, I have someone (my sister) in the United States who would be able to sign into my BN.com account and purchase material for me online in the U.S.

My question is, will I be able to get this purchased material onto my NC while I am in the Dominican Republic? Also, do I have to use WiFi to get the material on to NC or can I plug the NC into my computer?

Also, if I have my sister purchase a magazine subscription for me in the U.S., will I be able to get each week's edition on my NC?

Basically, I really want a NC, but live in the Dominican Republic. I have someone in the US who can purchase things for me when needed, but I want to make sure I can access these things (both books and magazines) on my NC from outside the country.

Please I would love anyone's advice on this topic!

Thank you!
seg527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I live in Canada and so far I have had no problems buying books via B&N even with my Canadian ip. I just have my credit card shipping and billing address listed at a US address on my B&N account. If you had to you could use a proxy to show your address as in the US.

If you did want somebody else to buy books for you, they could email them to you and you then could add them to your Nook via your computer. As long as the relative used your account that your Nook is registered under you should have no problem adding them. I imagine magazines would be the same, but I have never used one so I am not sure.

I do not think you should have a problem buying books though. There is a thread that is at the top of this sub-forum for international Nook users and lots of people there download books all the time.

Good luck!
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #3
botyok
botyok began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I live in Thailand and I can use my nook. Our office internet routes to US so I can purchase it from the office computer, but I download it at home which is a Thai IP. Hope this helps.
botyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Just install an US VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or AlwaysVPN (($8.50) on your PC. If you activate the VPN your PC will have an US IP-adress, and you will be able to buy book at B&N without a problem.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
You are not able to purchase books directly on the nook, but someone else can buy them in the US or you can use what was posted above, a VPN shield that hides your true location. No matter how they're purchased, you can connect your nook to wifi anywhere and download the books.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert