Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Setting for highlighting whole word not just letters

Hi,
When I highlighting sections, I'd like the Sony ereader to highlight to whole word at the beginning and the end of the highlight section (currently it even allows to highlight specific letters within a word, this is too precise for my needs). Sometimes it is a bit difficult to exactly mark the beginning of a word with the pen. Is there a setting somewhere where I can change this?
Thanks,
Diddy
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
There isn't any such option, so far as I know. I don't bother using the stylus; I prefer to use my finger tip instead. If you miss a letter, simply highlight the word again.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
diddy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
There isn't any such option, so far as I know. I don't bother using the stylus; I prefer to use my finger tip instead. If you miss a letter, simply highlight the word again.
Thanks for your reply!
Yes, but highlighting it again is a bit bothering me. Sometimes it is quite tricky to get the beginning of a word (sometimes it takes me 3 tries to get successful), so an option to automatically highlight the whole word would be great.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree it requires a bit of a knack, but you'll soon get the hang of it. It's a bit like page-turning. At first, I used to sometimes accidentally highlight a section of text, instead of turning the page! I soon learned to swipe diagonally though, to turn a page. Likewise with highlighting, I soon learned how to position my fingertip, to achieve optimum results. I'm sure I would find toggling between letter/word highlighting options a nuisance, so I like my reader just as it is.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
diddy
Connoisseur

Ok, I'll train a bit more then
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Just use the highlighting button in the in-book dictionary field...
double tap on a word and drag along as far as you want...
Advantages apart from your request: no need to go in highlight mode and decrease the page size, possibility to highlight in the zoom modes (still not in free zoom though)...
Have fun!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
... drag along as far as you want ...
Thanks for the tip! I knew about double-tapping a word, to look it up in the dictionary, but didn't know about being able to drag along, to highlight more words at the same time.

Quote:
... Advantages apart from your request: no need to go in highlight mode and decrease the page size, possibility to highlight in the zoom modes (still not in free zoom though) ...
Please explain further what you mean by this. With the Sony PRS-650, it is not necessary to reduce the page size, in order to highlight text. Perhaps your Sony PRS-950 works differently.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
diddy
Connoisseur

Wow, this is a very interesting hint! Thanks a lot! I'll try this out once I am at home.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Ok maybe the higlight mode doesnt reduce the page size, what i meant was that fonts get smaller when you go in highlight mode... it doesnt matter...
point is, with this method you can also highlight in PDFs that you are reading in zoom mode, even in one of the multi column modes...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #10
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Ok maybe the higlight mode doesnt reduce the page size, what i meant was that fonts get smaller when you go in highlight mode... it doesnt matter...
point is, with this method you can also highlight in PDFs that you are reading in zoom mode, even in one of the multi column modes...
Thank you for explaining that. Karma to you.

Last edited by boxcorner; 03-04-2011 at 07:45 AM.