Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
capelord
capelord began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle for pc beta out now

I was in amazon and was looking at Manage Your Kindle and found that the Beta was out now.
capelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, I've already downloaded it, but I haven't installed yet.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Not repro...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I'm a little bit much stupid: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Any idea how we find our "Kindle" PID with Kindle for PC yet?
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I've installed the Kindle for PC software. To say the least, it needs a little work.

It doesn't appear that what you're reading appears in the Home screen. Instead, everything shows up in the "Archive", and you have to specifically open it (in the PC software) to have it show up on the Home screen. More problematic, the software doesn't contain all the books you've got on your Kindle, unless you've only bought them from Amazon. I've got quite a few Gutenberg titles on my Kindle (in mobi format) and they're not reflected in the software at all. Further, there doesn't appear to be any way to import books into the software. The software only downloads from your Amazon account.

Granted, the limitations I've seen so far aren't exactly surprising, given the fact that Amazon is really using this as book selling software, rather than book management software, but it's still a little disappointing.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
Any idea how we find our "Kindle" PID with Kindle for PC yet?
Indeed, the one and only reason I care about this software release!
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I've installed the Kindle for PC software. To say the least, it needs a little work.

It doesn't appear that what you're reading appears in the Home screen. Instead, everything shows up in the "Archive", and you have to specifically open it (in the PC software) to have it show up on the Home screen. More problematic, the software doesn't contain all the books you've got on your Kindle, unless you've only bought them from Amazon. I've got quite a few Gutenberg titles on my Kindle (in mobi format) and they're not reflected in the software at all. Further, there doesn't appear to be any way to import books into the software. The software only downloads from your Amazon account.

Granted, the limitations I've seen so far aren't exactly surprising, given the fact that Amazon is really using this as book selling software, rather than book management software, but it's still a little disappointing.
Yes, I'm sure this is all as intended as this is exactly how the Kindle for iPhone app works.

There are better programs for reading eBook than this, I wouldn't bother with it if it doesn't do what you want.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:26 AM   #9
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:

Well it is still a Beta Test release, not a finished product yet. You should forward your comments on to Amazon.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not very surprised about the comments. I've Kindle por iPhone and it's exactly the same. You Amazon account, not all the books you add to your reader. My only problem, now, is the PID.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

One question, how many digits has the Kindle pid?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
One question, how many digits has the Kindle pid?
It should be the same as any other Mobi ID - 10 alphanumeric I suspect.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I just sent this in as feedback:

"To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you for releasing this software. I think you're well on your way to having an efficient, useful tool for use with the Amazon Kindle. I do, however, have two observations:

First, I would have hoped that whatever content was currently stored on my Kindle (in AZW format, at least) would appear on my Home screen. Sadly, this is not the case. It's all stored on the Archive by default, and it's only by *opening* a book that it appears on the Home screen. With 72 books on my Kindle (just in AZW format, mind you) I would have appreciated a way to look at what I was currently reading on my Home screen, and have the archive reflect only books that I haven't yet read, or haven't read in quite some time.

Secondly, one of the things that I enjoy about my Kindle is the ability to download books in .mobi format from sites like The Gutenberg Project. While the Kindle itself supports these files perfectly, I was surprised to learn that the Kindle software does not. I would have hoped that all the conent on the Kindle would be available to the software, or at the very least, that the .mobi files on my computer would be visible to the software.

I recognize that the Kindle for PC software is primarily intended to support Amazon's paid content, to drive book sales, but I, for one, would be more likely to use the software if it had a more expansive view of the content on my Kindle.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide you with this feedback.

Kind Regards,

Brian Hartman"
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Secondly, one of the things that I enjoy about my Kindle is the ability to download books in .mobi format from sites like The Gutenberg Project. While the Kindle itself supports these files perfectly, I was surprised to learn that the Kindle software does not. I would have hoped that all the conent on the Kindle would be available to the software, or at the very least, that the .mobi files on my computer would be visible to the software.

I recognize that the Kindle for PC software is primarily intended to support Amazon's paid content, to drive book sales, but I, for one, would be more likely to use the software if it had a more expansive view of the content on my Kindle.
It works fine with Mobi/PRC files from elsewhere. I have one open in it right now.

What I don't like is that it re-associated the .mobi and .prc extensions without asking. I mean I can fix it, but....
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

What I don't like is that it re-associated the .mobi and .prc extensions without asking. I mean I can fix it, but....
I HATE that! Particularly if it doesn't give you the option to choose!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote