Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 02:30 AM   #16
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I would have to reply....

Dear Mr. King. Do you really believe stalling the release of the ebook version will increase paper book sales that much?

Many of us who want your book want it in ebook form OR paper version....not necessarily both.

You do realize it will be out there in darknet form almost immediately after publication? That many, in protest will get it there? Or wait for the library copy?

Sincerely......just another ebook fan........

but thats just me.
I would say that this has more to do with his publisher than King himself.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #17
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Dear Mr. King

Simpsons did it!

Yours
South Park

*sorry, couldn't resist*
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #18
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
The real way to make publisher listen is by hitting them in the pocket... Don't buy the book!

If publishers were smart, they would include a copy of the e-book with the hardcover with maybe a discount on back listed e-books....
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
I would have to reply....

Dear Mr. King. Do you really believe stalling the release of the ebook version will increase paper book sales that much?

Many of us who want your book want it in ebook form OR paper version....not necessarily both.

You do realize it will be out there in darknet form almost immediately after publication? That many, in protest will get it there? Or wait for the library copy?

Sincerely......just another ebook fan........

but thats just me.
Agreed but if I had to guess, the publisher was in his ear feeding him this information. I can't imagine him coming up with this strategy himself.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #20
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
The real way to make publisher listen is by hitting them in the pocket... Don't buy the book!
Or just buy it second hand.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Agreed but if I had to guess, the publisher was in his ear feeding him this information. I can't imagine him coming up with this strategy himself.

He's not exactly a "babe in the woods" concerning ebooks.

He completely knows what he's doing here. Thats why I addressed my comments to him.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #22
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
This is just sad, damn publishers and their piracy paranoia. I think most readers who enjoy ebooks enough to purchase an expensive reader have decided to just buy ebooks. They don't want to lug around a weighty 1000 page hardcover, defeats the purpose of their reader purchase.

I don't think the ebook delay would help print sales at all apart from the most hardcore King fans who need the book immediately. They just lose christmas ebook purchasers who buy other books for their christmas hollidays.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #23
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
This is just sad, damn publishers and their piracy paranoia. I think most readers who enjoy ebooks enough to purchase an expensive reader have decided to just buy ebooks. They don't want to lug around a weighty 1000 page hardcover, defeats the purpose of their reader purchase.

I don't think the ebook delay would help print sales at all apart from the most hardcore King fans who need the book immediately. They just lose christmas ebook purchasers who buy other books for their christmas hollidays.
Piracy isn't the issue here. Sales of hardbacks can bring in big profits. After all they only cost slightly more to produce than a paperback, and yet are usually sold at a substantially higher MSRP. Publishers view ebooks as a major threat to this age-old business practice.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Piracy isn't the issue here. Sales of hardbacks can bring in big profits. After all they only cost slightly more to produce than a paperback, and yet are usually sold at a substantially higher MSRP. Publishers view ebooks as a major threat to this age-old business practice.
There is really a SIMPLE answer to this. Sell the ebook at the SAME price with the same release date as the hard cover. If someone buys the book the publisher makes the same amount of money. Actually, I expect the make more for the ebook purchase at the same price of a pbook. Espessially if they sell it directly.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There is really a SIMPLE answer to this. Sell the ebook at the SAME price with the same release date as the hard cover. If someone buys the book the publisher makes the same amount of money. Actually, I expect the make more for the ebook purchase at the same price of a pbook. Espessially if they sell it directly.

BOb
You make way too much sense. I"m sure they thought of this......and for the life of me I cannot figure out why they didn't do it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
You make way too much sense.
My bad....

Wait, what???

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #27
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
At least we don't have to wait a year, like we used to for paperbacks.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:55 PM   #28
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
I would have to say it is more likely his publisher just going "Hey, we're going to hold off on the ebook for a bit, ok?" and him not doing anything to stop them.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 AM   #29
JohnDoe
JohnDoe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I would have to say it is more likely his publisher just going "Hey, we're going to hold off on the ebook for a bit, ok?" and him not doing anything to stop them.
...Not considering the number of disgruntled potential customers who would have gladly bought the e-book immediately but instead will just wait for it to be available for free from their favorite P2P network out of pure spite for this idiotic decision...
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:13 AM   #30
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
It is a shame because I really wanted to read this book. I started reading King when I was a kid in Jr.High. He is one of the reasons I am such an avid reader. I think it is absurd that the ebook is being held back until December.
As stated before the ideal release would be buy the hardback and get the download for a couple of dollars or free. Thanks a Lot Happy Halloween
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote