Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #16
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
"Merry Christmas to myself, and my wife"...

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah to all...and any other holiday observance the reader celebrates. Life is good...LIFE...is..........GOOD!
I bought a touch for my Mum's Xmas at the same time I bought my Vox, the set up was easy-peasy and I've had it out of the box a few times. Simply to check on it honest!
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
The Touch also has a search function, a built in dictionary, and a simple highlight function....unlike the Vox
It really bugs me that the Vox wouldn't have half the reader functions of the Touch or the Kobo reader. Isn't it supposed to be a step up from those models? No wonder the scathing review by The Verge condemned it as a poor reader and a poor tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember; the devices have totally different purposes. Also, Kobo have a habit of adding on more features as time goes by.

I think you will find that currently, the pressure is on to solve the various basic issues; once that is done, the app. team will be concentrate on more functionality.
Well, maybe people who didn't really want an eReader, but a cheap tablet toy wouldn't be concerned, but Kobo, being a premier eReader should have at least incorporated all its eReader functions in the Vox.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Think of what we have now as having version 1 of the Vox Kobo App.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #19
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
It really bugs me that the Vox wouldn't have half the reader functions of the Touch or the Kobo reader. Isn't it supposed to be a step up from those models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Think of what we have now as having version 1 of the Vox Kobo App.
It still comes down to having a very tiny company attempting to do what gigantic enterprises have the resources to do. I am not defending Kobo's rash tendency to release 0.5 instead of 1.0 (or surprise and delight everyone starting at 1.1 ...); yet Kobo does have an excellent track record of delivering a very solid product three months after launch.

So, it's bleeding edge in the meantime, sixty days out.

The good news is the device, once I settled in to use it as a colour ereader with tablet pretentions, does a pretty solid job as is. I have access to all my Kobo content, I can sideload additional ePub content, I have over-the-air access to ebooks from my local public library, the Kindle app works well ... and some other basics like Sudoku, the weather, some news apps (Bloomberg, CBC), really excellent browsing with Opera Mobile, Facebook (the app, not the link version supplied) and radio through TuneIn Pro ... hey, you know what? That's a heck of a package for $199.

I am confident some of the other goodies -- and I am thinking especially of better video handling -- will arrive in due course. And, absolutely, I'd be very pleased to see upgrades to the Kobo Reading app for tighter text personalization like we see on the Touch. On this last point I am very confident the Kobo elves are busy with their wrenches.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
A day later.....

Owning both the Vox and the Touch models, in my opinion, completes the e-Reader journey. They can both travel with you together, and each one gives you 100 percent user experience for their purpose in design.

I have switched over to the Touch for book (non colour, non mags, non newspaper, etc) reading. Much easier on the eyes for hours-extended, with absolutely no issues with worrying that your battery charge with expire away from the computer/charger. Also, with form factor and almost non-existent weight to hold as you read,.... fantastic!

I heartily recommend that any Vox owner that does not already have a Touch, grab one at the Indigo $119.99 sale price, and also pick up a sale price Touch cover. You will NOT be buying in redundancy. Own it for a day (the Touch) and you will see the wisdom of having the two techs side-by-side.

Of course, the Vox lets you read your books without also owning a companion Touch...but reading from the Touch is a most superior read for 'pulp (no illustraions published with colour). No back-light radiation eye fatigue, and much less weight to hold up. Size, LOL, does matter!. Having said that though, you DO NEED a light source to shine down upon the Touch's e-Ink display to read it. I found that laying in bed with the ceiling light illuminating the room from above, and directly behind the e-Ink display, didn't cut it for the Touch. You need an over-the-shoulder lighting, bathing the Touch's screen to read/view comfortably. If you are sitting up though, any overhead lighting source will be more than enough.

The Vox's back lit display is much better suited for totally dark, or a light source from BEHIND the Vox's/Touch's display. Back lit is the only way to go in that case (laying in bed prone, with ceiling light as the only source, as an example.)

Bottom line, if you can spare another $119.00 plus $20.00 (and then the H.S.T. on both) for your reading life...than go for it! You won't be disappointed in the slightest....

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-16-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #21
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
It really bugs me that the Vox wouldn't have half the reader functions of the Touch or the Kobo reader. Isn't it supposed to be a step up from those models?
I strongly suspect it's a matter of time. The Vox is definitely "rough around the edges" but it will improve with the next few software releases.

Also the code base is very likely totally different on the Vox compared to the Touch so it's not a matter of doing some updates to the code to handle the new hardware. But completely new software.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #22
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Having said that though, you DO NEED a light source to shine down upon the Touch's e-Ink display to read it. I found that laying in bed with the ceiling light illuminating the room from above, and directly behind the e-Ink display, didn't cut it for the Touch. You need an over-the-shoulder lighting, bathing the Touch's screen to read/view comfortably. If you are sitting up though, any overhead lighting source will be more than enough.

The Vox's back lit display is much better suited for totally dark, or a light source from BEHIND the Vox's/Touch's display. Back lit is the only way to go in that case (laying in bed prone, with ceiling light as the only source, as an example.)
My daughter got a regular Kobo reader last Christmas and this year she's expecting a Vox from hubby. She likes to read in bed at night and hubby doesn't like the light on. She hopes the Vox will solve the problem. Personally, I find the Vox, even at its dimmest setting, still throws out quite a bit of light when reading in the dark. I'm waiting for Kobo to fix the unstoppable auto-rotation in the native reader.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #23
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
I heartily recommend that any Vox owner that does not already have a Touch, grab one at the Indigo $119.99 sale price, and also pick up a sale price Touch cover. You will NOT be buying in redundancy. Own it for a day (the Touch) and you will see the wisdom of having the two techs side-by-side.
People always ask me about whichever "eReader" I have - first my nook and now my Vox. And I seem to have become the go-to person when friends/acquaintances decide to get an eReader. Of course, they ask what they should get.

I very rarely suggest a Vox as an introductory eReader. I ask the questions: "Is this your first eReader? Are you transitioning from paper books to electronic? Do you have a smartphone/tablet already?". I am convinced that a tablet-type reader isn't the best first step into the eReading world - especially because of the potential eye-strain. An e-ink reader is such an easy transition from paper to screen!

That being said, now that I have my Vox, I haven't touched my Nook (original). I think it would be different if I had a Kobo that easily shared my books and bookmarks, but when I wanted an eReader, the Kobo hadn't even released yet! Hard to believe that was only two years ago...
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #24
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My daughter got a regular Kobo reader last Christmas and this year she's expecting a Vox from hubby. She likes to read in bed at night and hubby doesn't like the light on. She hopes the Vox will solve the problem. Personally, I find the Vox, even at its dimmest setting, still throws out quite a bit of light when reading in the dark. I'm waiting for Kobo to fix the unstoppable auto-rotation in the native reader.
I firmly believe that any eReader purchase isn't complete without a case and a book light.

(Also, I agree with you. I think an e-Ink reader with a multi-setting book light is easier on the eyes then a computer-screen-like tablet reader).
Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #25
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
I'm waiting for Kobo to fix the unstoppable auto-rotation in the native reader.
I didn't sign an NDA (Non Disclosure agreemnt) when I joined the Vox beta group so yes the current beta has that feature in it.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #26
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
---------------------------------------------

I totally agree with you. That is another reason that I was interested in the Touch. Even though the Vox does a splendid job with formatting and clarity of font, I still found myself rubbing my eyes even with the lowest setting after about an hour. I can read with the Touch until I need to put the 'book' down. Like I was saying, I would not want to have to choose between either/or. Having both really sets you up for doing, or reading anything, and under any lighting condition. She will like having the options... I guess so will her husband!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #27
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
People always ask me about whichever "eReader" I have - first my nook and now my Vox. And I seem to have become the go-to person when friends/acquaintances decide to get an eReader. Of course, they ask what they should get.

I very rarely suggest a Vox as an introductory eReader. I ask the questions: "Is this your first eReader? Are you transitioning from paper books to electronic? Do you have a smartphone/tablet already?". I am convinced that a tablet-type reader isn't the best first step into the eReading world - especially because of the potential eye-strain. An e-ink reader is such an easy transition from paper to screen!

That being said, now that I have my Vox, I haven't touched my Nook (original). I think it would be different if I had a Kobo that easily shared my books and bookmarks, but when I wanted an eReader, the Kobo hadn't even released yet! Hard to believe that was only two years ago...
-------------------------------------------------

It was very kool to see that after I set up the Touch with the Kobo desktop, it then synced all my 99 + books, mags, and newspapers! Talk about not minding a 'cloudy' view, LOLOLOL! Yeah, that was great. I certainly didn't need to buy the Touch with having the Vox...but it was a good price, and the two really compliment the other's forte. I don't see one being put into the desk drawer over the other, either. My wife hasn't shown much interest with the Vox, other than when I am viewing the Epicurean Magazine, and she snuggles in to view with me. The one problem with that...is then we want to throw the covers off...and make a run for the kitchen...pans flying, butter and cream ripped from the 'fridge...you know. ROTFLMBO! "Oh well...". "Hon...want me to pour white, or red?"

She will be thrilled with her new, and wrapped Touch. Too bad she has to wait...for I'm not sharing mine! "No.." tapping her hand away "..mine, mine...mine....". She's getting ticked at me.... LOL. I want her to enjoy her 'discovery' come Christmas morning. I can just see her grabbing a coffee, putting a fire on, and settling into the wing-back chair. Oh yeah....and our Doberman sitting on her feet as she usually does....munching a bone. Life is GOOD! (smile). I hope she enjoys the book-to-electronic transition.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-16-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #28
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
It appears that the Kobo Touch has 256MB of ram. If you read the "Hacking into the Kobo Touch"
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #29
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
It appears that the Kobo Touch has 256MB of ram. If you read the "Hacking into the Kobo Touch"
----------------------------------------------

So the packaging meant 1GB storage. Of the 256MB, most likely more than enough. How many books does one want carry around anyways...(smile).
Old 12-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #30
LauraPony
Zealot

Quote:
...pans flying, butter and cream ripped from the 'fridge...you know. ROTFLMBO! "Oh well...". "Hon...want me to pour white, or red?"
This is one of the things I REALLY love about the Vox. I just prop it up somewhere during one of the (very rare) occasions that I am baking something, and it allows me not to have to run back and forth from the computer to the kitchen to complete the process. I discover most of my baking experiments on blogs or Pinterest, so the Vox is a great tool.

I just need to remember to increase the length of time before it goes to sleep when I do this. Too often it turns off right when my hands are covered in butter and/or flour.

And PS: I'll take some white please, if you're pouring. Ignore the pregnant belly, I'm allowed a glass in this virtual world.