Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Kindle 3 Screen Leak??

i've given almost everyone in my family jetBooks already but my mom thought it would be a great idea to get me a kindle 3....

so i've been using it for about 2 weeks, just getting the hang and trying out some of the reads. i have a case and all so like my jetbook i just store it in my backpack when i go to and from work.

a few days ago this happened (see the pic)

its not cracked, but its more like a leak, anyone seen this problem before?

i dont think its even covered under the warranty either which is a bummer!! but im just po'd that i didnt even drop it and the screen goes wacky!

anyone have any incite??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!B+P4ymwEGk~$(KGrHqZ,!lkEy+jCzOeHBM+B)uEY3Q~~_12.JPG
Views:	2785
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	62590  
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
its not cracked, but its more like a leak, anyone seen this problem before?
It's definitely cracked... you just can't see the crack.

I'd still give Amazon CS a call. You could get lucky and get a replacement if it's only 2 weeks old.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
DLI
Banned
DLI has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: jetBook, Kindle
It is quite often occasion with e-ink displays. A friend had Sony 350 and when his briefcase fell off the aircraft bin, the unit shock. There was no cracks, but screen just leack. Normally jetBook TFT Toshiba displays are a lot more ridgid than e-ink. As for the contrast ratio, Pearl has roughly 1:8 contrast amd LCD 1:10.
DLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I know this probably won't help, but I do recommend this sleeve cover for Kindle 3 users:

Does not look too fancy but is light,cheap and has an internal bubble design which protects the screen a little bit from shocks and accidental damages.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
As DiapDealer said, the screen is definitely damaged - something in your backpack put pressure on the middle of your screen and you can see the damage raying out from the impact point.

I'm not trying to add salt to your wound, but the screen on the Kindle is pretty delicate and needs protection from impact. Unless you have a very good case - made out of steel? - the Kindle can not just be tossed into a backpack and carried around where it can be damaged by other hard objects that are carried in the backpack - or damaged if you happen to toss the backpack itself onto a desk, for instance.

Hopefully Amazon CS will be kind to you and send you a replacement even though this is user-caused damage, not due to a defect.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would be shocked if Amazon did not send you a replacement unit. Call CS. Normally they send the replacement out with one day delivery. You can return the broken unit in the book that they send the new unit in.

Good luck
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Most screen technology will have a substrate and that is what was damaged by the cracking of this substrate. The only technology that I am aware of that does not have a substrate is the older CRT and maybe LEDs screens which are based on an array configuration.

Good luck but this is clearly not a defect of the hardware and mayn ot be covered by Amazon. I would also suggest a better case and I believe that the Amazon leather cases provide adequate protection for most situations. IMO I believe that the price of Amazon's cases are quite fair for what you are getting but others have complained about the prices being to high so I say "to each their own"
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon has been very good about replacing Kindles with broken screens even when the screen damage has been caused by user error. I think they realized that it is better for people to have a Kindle and buy books from Amazon then for them to not have a Kindle and decrease the likelihood that they buy books from Amazon.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:19 AM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I'm not sure if it helps or not but this Kindle forum has many posts from customers with the same broken screen problem. Some people received free replacement from Amazon but some people paid fee for it.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
I wonder if some types of screens are more sensitive then other. Like is eInk more likely to crack then LCD?
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would be shocked if Amazon did not send you a replacement unit. Call CS. Normally they send the replacement out with one day delivery. You can return the broken unit in the book that they send the new unit in.

Good luck
I would be shocked if they DID replace it. Fractures to the screen substrate are caused by user abuse; they are not covered by the warranty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would be shocked if they DID replace it. Fractures to the screen substrate are caused by user abuse; they are not covered by the warranty.
True but there are many stories about Amazon replacing them even when people told Amazon how they sat on their Kindles, dropped them off a table, and the like.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
LuBiB - have you had a chance to contact Amazon as yet? There seems to be no consensus about whether or not Amazon will replace your Kindle but it is certainly worth a try.

I agree with ProfCrash. Amazon would rather have a happy customer still buying eBooks from them and touting the glories of the Kindle and of Amazon CS than an unhappy customer who might tell everyone they know how the Kindle isn't sturdy enough to take the wear and tear of daily use.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
and the verdict...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
LuBiB - have you had a chance to contact Amazon as yet? There seems to be no consensus about whether or not Amazon will replace your Kindle but it is certainly worth a try.

I agree with ProfCrash. Amazon would rather have a happy customer still buying eBooks from them and touting the glories of the Kindle and of Amazon CS than an unhappy customer who might tell everyone they know how the Kindle isn't sturdy enough to take the wear and tear of daily use.

Holly
hey everyone, sorry about the delay.

i got in touch with Amazon.....

and....

no luck

cant be replaced. It was brand new! And i tried everything and even called back 3 more times to connect to different representatives

im telling you guys - this is NOT a crack

its a leak

its as though the the liquid (eink) managed to seep out. if i wiggle it left and right (which ive been doing now) you can see the eink move on different parts of the screen as well

its surprising no one has encountered this yet
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I had a similar Kindle Screen Problem a while back. It started just as yours and ended up lookin like this:

Unless there are obvious signs of physical abuse - warranty will cover it - give them a call. I got mine replaced no problem
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook, kindle 3, kindle leak screen, screen leak