Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
woodwindow376
woodwindow376 began at the beginning.

Device: none
protection plan

hi everyone,

I am new here and learned about this forum after much googling with regards to nook. I think I am sold with the nook and probably buying hopefully today!

I have a question though. I dont know if this could be like a survey of some sort.

Did you buy the protection plan from B&N? or BBY? Do you think its worth it? I learned about squaretrade.com and they are also offering plans, just want to weigh my options if to buy or not to buy, because spending almost 30% of an ereader price for a warranty seems to be high!

thanks!
woodwindow376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
I plan on getting squaretrade, but if B&N's allows you to take care of it in-store that may be a plus. It'd be nice if you could just walk into the store and exchange it for up to two years if you had problems.
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
envy
Brown Eyed Girl
envy doesn't litterenvy doesn't litter

Device: Sony Prs 600, Nook, Sony prs 350
I got my nook last month, and just 2 days ago I brought the 3 yr square trade warranty.
I think that square trade is best way to go.
envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
woodwindow376

thanks for the replies! well, i bought mine yesterday at BBY. I bought their protection plan too.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I didn't buy protection plan. I figure if mine breaks within 2 years, I can find a replacement ereader for under $100 (hello Augen).
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
randyp1234
randyp1234 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Just got my Nook last week - how much is the B&N plan??

Thanks,

Randy
randyp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Secretlyowned
Secretlyowned began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Kindle 3, Nook Classic (previously Sony PRS-600BC)
when I bought my Nook they told me I had to buy the Protection Plan at the same time, not later on. I didn't want to spend $50 more so I didn't get it, though I wish I did.

Squaretrade must be the only one I can get now!
Secretlyowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
jdarnold
jdarnold began at the beginning.

Device: nook
And if you search around, you can find usually find a Squaretrade coupon. I only paid $25 for a 2 yr replacment plan. Well worth the peace of mind!
jdarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
woodwindow376

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyp1234 View Post
Just got my Nook last week - how much is the B&N plan??

Thanks,

Randy
i bought mine over at best buy. I bought the nook with wifi only, and bought the proctection plan. it cost me $39.99.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
randyp1234
randyp1234 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretlyowned View Post
when I bought my Nook they told me I had to buy the Protection Plan at the same time, not later on. I didn't want to spend $50 more so I didn't get it, though I wish I did.

Squaretrade must be the only one I can get now!
When I bought mine they told me I had 30 days.
randyp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
I bought the nook Wifi and the protection plan. The plan is $44.95 and must be purchased at the same time as your nook.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 AM   #12
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
I really dont see the need for a protection plan, the battery is user replaceable, the screen if it is working will most likely last a couple of years (unless you smash it), and by the end of the year, there will be better e-ink screen reader around $100 or less.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
jdarnold
jdarnold began at the beginning.

Device: nook
$20 for 2 yrs from Squaretrade, which covers accidental damage, seems like a pretty good deal. Much more than that, for a $150 item, seems a bit excessive, I agree.
jdarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
chazcop
chazcop began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (Wifi only)
re protection plan

Thanks for this thread....

By going to RetailMeNot.com & entering "SquareTrade"

for a 30% coupon (The code was "SIZZLE") I just got the 2 year Square Trade warranty for my Nook (WiFi) for $20+tax. They seem to charge the same for both the $150 & $200 models.

I also broke down this aft. & bought the $30 non-designer leather cover B&N sells.

Chet

JDArnold wrote:
And if you search around, you can find usually find a Squaretrade coupon. I only paid $25 for a 2 yr replacment plan. Well worth the peace of mind!
chazcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I added my Sony Reader 505 to my State Farm Personal Articles Policy (which covers jewelry, etc) for less than $5 a year. My total Personal Articles Policy which now covers my wifes jewelry, my iPhone4, my Sony Reader, and my MacBook laptop all for around $25 a year total!

If any are stolen, broken (by dropping, etc.) it's covered with no deductible. Check with your insurance company.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote