Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Vaporware
Not here yet.
Vaporware began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 Ebook Reader
Lightbulb Homemade Lightwedge Project

Motivated by lack of available custom booklights, I am making a custom lightwedge. The idea behind it is very simple. The lightwedge is simply two LEDs, a resistor and 6 volts. the part that costs $25 is the light guide. The light guide has tiny angles in the casting that reflect a tiny part of the light evenly over the page of the book.

My plan is to cut the lightwedge to the right size (as detailed in the third picture lightwedgemode.jpg), add a new switch and a batter pack that clips onto the back cover. I'm going to try to use the magnets in the ebook to attach it, but I suspect they won't be strong enough to hold the heavy plastic.

I don't think it will be very hard, but I don't have the right tools right now to really get started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00293.JPG
Views:	768
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	2643   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00292.JPG
Views:	727
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	2644   Click image for larger version

Name:	lightwedge mod.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	629.4 KB
ID:	2645  
Vaporware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Where did you get the tapered plastic? That is the hardest part to get a hold of.

You can get rare earth magnets from leevalley.com .
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Where did you get the tapered plastic? That is the hardest part to get a hold of.

You can get rare earth magnets from leevalley.com .
He took a original Lightwedge apart. I have been looking also for the materials to make one myself. I think I will wait and see if this is the way...'You can do it!"
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
He took a original Lightwedge apart. I have been looking also for the materials to make one myself. I think I will wait and see if this is the way...'You can do it!"
I'd like to add a light wedge in one of my cheaper boxes. I can just picture this; open the lid, flip up the lightwedge, insert the reader, turn it on, flip back the wedge, turn it on also and read...
Old 01-14-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Making a homemade acrylic wedge

I have asked a friend visiting USA to buy Sony Reader for me. It will take quite a few weeks until she returns from her trip.

In the meanwhile I want to prepare for making myself a homemade lightwedge.

I am planning to buy a thick (cca 10mm) piece of acrylic "glass". (That will be a slight problem, because everyone wants to sell me 1.5m x 2m piece and all I need is an A4 sized piece).
First I will cut the acrylic into the desired size + 5mm on each side.
Then I will glue it into a board, using cca 10 mm thick spacer, so it is coplanar with the board and is above the surface of board. I will put a screw to the each corner of the board.
Next I will take a long piece of coarse sandpaper and glue it flat to a large flat surface. Now I take the board and position it above the sandpaper so it stands on four screws with the acrylic touching the sandpaper. Screws will be standing next to the sandpaper and will be able to slide very easily.
Then I will spend some time sliding the board back and forth so the acrilic grinds in the sandpaper. By adjusting the screws I will be able to make precise wedge.
When the wedge is done I will use finer and finer sandpaper. The final grinding will be made with a sandpaper used for finishing automobile paint on a rubber block.
I will finish the surface using polishing paste. You can get amazing results with polishing paste on acrylic.

I have been working with acrylic before and it can be grinded very well and very rapidly. By polishing it you can make it look very, very nice and proffesianally made. Acrylic can be also bent and formed when you heat it very carefully. Be prepared to waste a lot of material until you get it right.

Disclaimer No. 1
Lightwedge is probably patented, so use this only for your "personal educational purposes"

Disclaimer No. 2
If you have no experience working with wood and/or acrylic and if you value your time at more than 2 bucks per hour you will be much better off buying the original LightWedge and trimming it to your needs. But FIRST PRACTICE ON A PIECE OF ACRYLIC YOU ARE WILLING TO THROW AWAY. Acrylic has peculiar properties then you try to saw through it.

Disclaimer No. 3a
I am going to do this for fun and I have well equiped workshop.

Disclaimer No. 3b
I have no means to purchase Lightwedge
Even purchasing Sony Reader is very complicated for me.

Disclaimer No. 3c
An average salary in my country is magnitude less then in USA. (so I consider $25 to have much greater value than most of you)

I will do this project when I get Sony Reader into my hands, so I can make a perfect fit. I will post photos of all steps, but do not hold your breath ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Vaporware
Not here yet.

Well, I decided to work with what I have. A Dremel rather than a bandsaw. i'll have to say I'm happy with the results sofar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00294.JPG
Views:	914
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	2646  
Old 01-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Can you cover the LEDs? You seem to be getting quite a blast of light in the face there. That makes it too distracting to read comfortably!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
Vaporware
Not here yet.

I put the thing together last night and read for a couple hours. Those 4 AAA batteries and the lexan add about 4 ounces to the weight. I had noticed the lights to the face problem prior to bed. I used masking tape to cover the LEDs, Yvan.

Still needs a new switch and I need some strip aluminum to screw the thing together structurally. I seriously doubt that two neodynium magnets by themselves could hold JUST the tapered lexan piece in place, much less with full battery pack and things. It's going to want to pull off from the left side of the screen, so I need to add a hook that will grab the reader from the left and latch on the right with the magnets.

Hey Yvan, I'll trade ya for your sweet wooden book holder
Old 01-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporware
I put the thing together last night and read for a couple hours. Those 4 AAA batteries and the lexan add about 4 ounces to the weight. I had noticed the lights to the face problem prior to bed. I used masking tape to cover the LEDs, Yvan.

Still needs a new switch and I need some strip aluminum to screw the thing together structurally. I seriously doubt that two neodynium magnets by themselves could hold JUST the tapered lexan piece in place, much less with full battery pack and things. It's going to want to pull off from the left side of the screen, so I need to add a hook that will grab the reader from the left and latch on the right with the magnets.

Hey Yvan, I'll trade ya for your sweet wooden book holder
Yeah sure! With a couple of greenbacks it's manageable.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
obelix
Connoisseur
obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.obelix once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Great, I agree the LightWedge-around solution is one of the best for reading.
Did you see my similar homemade lightwedge?

post #77:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2202#post52202
obelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #11
Vaporware
Not here yet.

Yes, it was my inspiration to get off my butt. I have pictures of the final design, but my card reader isn't working properly and I can't get them right now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00295.JPG
Views:	653
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	2660  

Last edited by Vaporware; 01-16-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporware
Well, I decided to work with what I have. A Dremel rather than a bandsaw. i'll have to say I'm happy with the results sofar.
Have you thought about wrapping the edges with aluminum tape to seal them? You might even get enough reflected light to increase illumination of the Reader.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #13
Vaporware
Not here yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Have you thought about wrapping the edges with aluminum tape to seal them? You might even get enough reflected light to increase illumination of the Reader.
Actually, flame polishing the edges provides a significant reflection effect by itself. I'm considering wrapping the edges simply because the light that does get through is too bright and illuminates the room.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

You have to think about covering the ughly green fibre! A nice wood cap would do it!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
Vaporware
Not here yet.

Yes, that would be great! But, I've been rethinking my design and I think I can eliminate the circuit board altogether in a future revision. I've come pretty far with this design and think I might need to start with a new lightwedge for version 2. I think obelix is correct in abandoning the 4AAA batteries and working with a mobile phone battery.

By simply hot-gluing the LEDs into the lexan and integrating the battery and switch into a "backpack" like Obelix, the magnets could probably be used to attach the lexan to the reader and it would look VERY sleek.