Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
arenner10
arenner10 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Angry Do not purchase a nook, please

DO NOT BUY THE NOOK. I used to be a big fan of B&N and waited until their nook release to buy an ereader. WORST DECISION EVER. Not only is it incredibly slow but I had to return my nook, TWICE!!! After waiting for my nook that was backordered for 6 weeks, I finally got my nook in mid-January. It was very slow and would often freeze which was remedied by plugging it in to fully charge. Well it finally froze for good after having it for a month and B&N replaced it. After 2 days of my brand new nook it also froze beyond repair. For the past month I have been on the phone more with B&N tech support than with my own parents, most of the time being on hold for up to half an hour sometimes. B&N refused to pay my shipping charges for my second nook and after a painfully long time they finally decided to give me my full refund....can't wait for the Kindle 3 to come out so that I never have to see the inside of a B&N store again
arenner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Many have said the nook is much better with the firmware upgrades. Has this not been the case for you?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Arennar,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with the nook. You seem to be in the minority here, as many others have had positive experiences with their device. Myself included.

Welcome to MR, regardless.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
For just reading, the Nook is fine (thanks to the upgrades); but those of us who like to highlight and take notes are still waiting for the upgrade that will allow us to download those notes and highlights to our PCs.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-09-2010 at 09:10 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
I am sure you have made worse decisions. What about the time in college?
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
kellie
kellie began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I have had my Nook for 2 weeks now. I love it. It is a little slow to open but after that no problem. I enjoy taking books out from my local library w/o ever leaving home. 5 minutes to pick out a book and download it to my Nook. It has never frozen on me. I hope u have as good as experience with whatever ereader u decide to go with.
kellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I own KooNooK for almost two months (outside U.S.), my Nook froze only once. The latest firmware upgrade really speed up the page turn. I'm a very happy Nook owner.

(Rooted Nook is even much better! allow me to use local SIM card, more library sort option, browser for checking my mail, twitter, wiki etc.; rss feed, etc.)
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #8
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
this is my first time to actually hear a rather not so positive review of the Nook. I am so sorry to hear about your experience with it.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:07 AM   #9
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
this is my first time to actually hear a rather not so positive review of the Nook. I am so sorry to hear about your experience with it.
Really? There are tons. I've gone to B&N several times and played with the Nook but it just never grew on me. Could be that I'm used to the much more rapid response of my Kindle but I also thought the Nook's navigation was pretty bad. I thought it was pretty disappointing after some of the hype that was out there. Maybe my expectations were too high but I think it wound up being a poor competitor to the Kindle. I was hoping it would turn up the heat on Amazon but now Apple seems to have done that with the iPad... and it drove ebook prices up. Ugh!
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz began at the beginning.

Device: BN nook, iPod touch second gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Really? There are tons. I've gone to B&N several times and played with the Nook but it just never grew on me. Could be that I'm used to the much more rapid response of my Kindle but I also thought the Nook's navigation was pretty bad. I thought it was pretty disappointing after some of the hype that was out there. Maybe my expectations were too high but I think it wound up being a poor competitor to the Kindle. I was hoping it would turn up the heat on Amazon but now Apple seems to have done that with the iPad... and it drove ebook prices up. Ugh!
I'd argue rather, that the reviews are split.

Gizmodo loved it, Engadget felt it wasn't quite there(These are both 1.0 reviews, mind you)

The people who absolutely love the nook tend to be the more patient sort... I have noticed. Or who like it's openness to third party stuff.

I would agree that the iPad turned the heat up... Amazon is giving off hints that it will gladly spend it's life as an ebook seller for the iPad, rather than a cheaper competitor. Maybe BN will eventually do the same?
Fuzzykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I have had my nook for about three weeks now and don't really have any complaints. I'm really sorry you had a bad experience. But that's life.

Anyway, I have been looking at the iPad and I am underwhelmed. It seems to be just a big iPod Touch. I am agnostic about Apple (I own a PC laptop but use an iPhone) but I am beginning to lean toward being against it just because of its DRM policies and practices to lock you into their products.

A little off topic; I apologize.

To the original poster: Your frustration is warranted. Move on to the next gadget. Life is short.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
mykoffee
Enthusiast
mykoffee began at the beginning.

I've had my Nook for nearly 3 weeks as well and so far no problems with it freezing. The Kindle is easier to navigate but it also has features that I wasn't as happy with. I've had mixed experiences with B&N customer service, once I called them about an ebook that didn't download properly and I was put on hold for an hour and fifteen minutes before someone came on the line! The next time I called (about that same ebook) I was through in less than 5 minutes. You just never know. If I thought the Amazon Kindle 3was soon coming I might have waited to try it first, have you heard any news officially?

Linda
mykoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
raven312
Enthusiast
raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 2
Out of curiosity, when you got the second nook, did you put the same books on there? Have you thought about the possibility of a corrupt file that won't play on ANY nook? Maybe B&N's techs could help you sort this out.
raven312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

I have zero problems with my Nook. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate your attitude since all you're doing is spamming the same negative message.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I have had my nook for about three weeks now and don't really have any complaints. I'm really sorry you had a bad experience. But that's life.

Anyway, I have been looking at the iPad and I am underwhelmed. It seems to be just a big iPod Touch. I am agnostic about Apple (I own a PC laptop but use an iPhone) but I am beginning to lean toward being against it just because of its DRM policies and practices to lock you into their products.

A little off topic; I apologize.

To the original poster: Your frustration is warranted. Move on to the next gadget. Life is short.
I was very interested in the iPad but there are too many restrictions for me. The lack of Flash support removes a good 90% of the sites I visit (All news sites, ESPN, Hulu, videos, games, etc). Also, for reading books...I already have issues starring at my MacBook reading text. I could not imagine reading a book for three hours. eInk is the way to go in my opinion.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote